SorryImLate
    SorryImLate's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 366

A poker tragedy

6/14/21

https://twitter.com/DanielColman_/status/1390796548368334848

Dan Colman started playing at a young age, mainly playing HU SNGs on stars. He would flood the lobby registering and waiting many more tables than the reg with the next highest volume. He befriended Olivier Busquet who was probably the only one who played nearly as many hours and tables. They agreed to never play each other, but was later caught playing vs OB under a new SN. They remained friends. OB has always been endearing towards DC and the community. One of a kind.

After DC's 2014 One Drop win, which had a $111,111 rake and was organized by one of online pokers -$ player, he would decline interviews from local Vegas reporters. In his only postgame with ESPN he would state

"I really don’t owe anyone an explanation but I’ll give one.First off, I don’t owe poker a single thing. I’ve been fortunate enough to benefit financially from this game, but I have played it long enough to see the ugly side of this world. It is not a game where the pros are always happy and living a fulfilling life. To have a job where you are at the mercy of variance can be insanely stressful and can lead to a lot of unhealthy habits. I would never in a million years recommend for someone to try and make it as a poker pro.
    It is also not a game where the amateurs are always happy to be losing their money for the sake of entertainment. The losers lose way more money at this game than winners are winning. A lot of this is money they can’t afford to lose. This is fine of course because if someone is dumb enough to gamble with money they cant afford to lose, that’s their problem. I’m not really buying that though. In a perfect world, markets are based on informed consumers making rational transactions. In reality, sadly, that’s not the case. Markets are based on advertising trying to play on peoples impulses and targeting their weaknesses in order for them to make irrational decisions. I get it if someone wants to go and play poker on their own free will, but I don’t agree with gambling being advertised just like I don’t agree with cigarettes and alcohol being advertised.
    It bothers me that people care so much about poker’s well-being. As poker is a game that has such a net negative effect on the people playing it. Both financially and emotionally.
    As for promoting myself, I feel that individual achievements should rarely be celebrated. I am not going to take part in it for others and I wouldn’t want it for myself. If you wonder why our society is so infatuated by individuals and their success, and being a baller, it is not that way for no reason. It is there because it serves a clear purpose. If you get people to look up to someone and adhere to the “gain wealth, forget all but self” motto, then you can get them to ignore the social contract which is very good for power systems. Also it serves as a means of distraction to get people to not pay attention to the things that do matter.
    These are just my personal views. And yes, I realize I am conflicted. I capitalize off this game that targets peoples weaknesses. I do enjoy it, I love the strategy part of it, but I do see it as a very dark game."

Months after at an EPT Barcelona FT with Olivier he would wear a "Free Palestine" shirt that prompted OB to wear a "Save Gaza" shirt. After complaints from fans the Pokerstars head of communications(??) Eric Hollreiser would state

In retrospect it was a mistake to allow them entry. Our tournaments are designed to promote poker and poker competition and not as a platform for political statements. Players have many channels to express their views on world politics, but our tournaments are not an appropriate place. We will refuse entry to any player displaying political statements of any kind.

In recent months DC was on the losing side of DFS bets and despite catching the con, was unable to collect or make the public aware of how he got scammed. Essentially he was staking someone who was dumping using bad lineups. Now no one can stand up for DC. Arbitrators have backed out and remained silent. $3-5 million in bitcoin paid. Someone has reached out to collect for him, but was ignored.

Last edited by SorryImLate; 06-14-21 at 01:57 AM. Reason: hyperlink