JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11802

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Passive/Agressive
    I like that style, once you get pegged as a passive/aggressive player loosen up a lot.
    Well if you pegged as that then you can bluff in key moments later on.. That's how I play the game when I do. I usually can hold my own on the tables, well I did in years past but I haven't played in years.

I like the game though Stevie, just never seem to get around to playing it anymore.. Texas holdem..

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

90% of poker players are dead broke and owe everyone under the sun

That is fact

The few that make money have endorsement deals

Men the best way to make money is work and save

Lex_icon
    Lex_icon's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11597

Ask Carseller

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Reread Hawkeye16 posts. Pretty good advise.

Stryder
    Stryder's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12

Be the cards and learn to control them with your mind.

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    play alot of hands

Don’t do this.

Low Limit, No Limit by Angel Largay helped me a lot for $1/$2 and $2/$5 cash games.

If you’re a tournament guy, read Gus Hanson’s book. He breaks down many of his hands when he won the Aussie Millions.

Dan Harrington’s tournament books are great, too.

Most terrible poker players I know have never read one poker book let alone a bunch of them.

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

And if you play the Main Event, I hope you have plenty of friends that will buy a piece of you to reduce your exposure.

I agree with the overall sentiment of, keep poker as a nice side hustle, not your main source of income.

You don’t want to be in 80//20 situations where if you’re 80% doesn’t hold up, you can’t pay this months mortgage.

Golden fleece
    Golden fleece's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2655

good stuff guys

i am definitely going to get reading on the books suggested here

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Almost every person that wrote a poker broke is broke guys I’m trying to help nothing wrong with playing for fun but you’re not gonna make a living impossible

jose21_us
    The Miami Connection
    jose21_us's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11236

Easy game to learn but a lifetime to master...

Golden fleece

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Almost every person that wrote a poker broke is broke guys I’m trying to help nothing wrong with playing for fun but you’re not gonna make a living impossible
    every year someone is going to win 10 million in the main event

if everyone knows the same math it comes down to a psychological edge with a lot of luck too in all honesty but that winner can be anyone who knows their shit

bettipboy
    Update your status
    bettipboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

Not a pro but interested in e-book pdfs and links you could send also .. I am a newbie but really interested in becoming a pro ...
    Thanks

#stay home

Crusherrr
    Please don't feed the trolls
    Crusherrr's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13779

Watching twitch poker is your best free resource. Otherwise you could do Upswing or Raise Your Edge. If you're doing tournaments DTO app on your phone is great and not that expensive.

Don't even consider reading any poker book as they are so dated it won't do you any good. The only books that would be good are the Mental game of Poker or maybe some of Andrew Brokos stuff.

hawkeye 16
    Update your status
    hawkeye 16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10404

I'll add one more thing. Always know the rake the room charges. $3 plus $1 jackpot drop is about the best you can find. The difference between that and $5+$2 may not sound like much, but to make an analogy to sports it would be like laying-120 or more versus someplace like Heritage at -105. I don't care who you are, -120 in sports can't be beat.

Because they cap the rake, higher games are beatable but you need a huge bankroll (no matter how good you are, you are still going to have swings). You will also usually be playing better players, unless you find a juicy game with whales looking to just have fun. When you sit down at the table, wait a couple rounds and you usually can tell who they are, if any.
    A couple things about the jackpot drop. One, they usually keep a lot of it in "reserve" for maybe 2 or 3 reserve jackpots in case someone hits it. Second, a lot of places call it now a "promo" drop, so unless you are playing during a high hand time, etc., you are basically donating that drop. I even had a friend that worked in a poker room that said that they can take money out of the promo funds to "pay" for those crappy free hot dogs they get from their kitchen. Basically consider it as additional rake,.

I would say $8/$16 in limit and $2/$5 NL are the minimum levels you might be able to beat. Maybe even $1/$2 NL if you are good enough.

I would highly advise though to just keeping it as a hobby, not a profession. You will almost certainly lose and be crying later .

PS I forgot. You also have to "read" yourself. You have to know what your image is like. Then change it.
    Last edited by hawkeye 16; 04-18-20 at 10:45 AM.

JoeCool20
    SBR Poker is ALL Freakin Wild Donk Luck!
    JoeCool20's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 727

90% of poker players are dead broke and owe everyone under the sun

That is fact

The few that make money have endorsement deals

Men the best way to make money is work and save
    Great posts. Lets face it, who do you know that gambles (at poker or anything else) that is truly "up" money at it?

And especially if you count all their debts and who all they actually owe for gambling losses!

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10440

seat time was the best way , but everyone needs to learn how the cheater works so you can defend .

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

FIRST recommendation would be stay away from the rigged shithole that is sbr poker -- it in no way resembles real poker. if you play live like you do on sbr, expecting the same "randomness" of cards (as sbr is not random whatsoever), you will lose your f'n ass.....

the converse is true, if you play on sbr, forget everything you know about playing real poker live, as statistics do not apply at sbr like they do in the real world....

for eg., real world, KK is a premium starting hand, on sbr, it sucks the fatman's ass and is almost always a guaranteed loser....

for second eg., 84 on sbr is a premium hand, almost always a winner; whereas playing it live will result in you being cremated 85 percent of the time.

sbr poker, you best get it in behind, or you will get it in the behind.........
    Last edited by Auto Donk; 04-18-20 at 12:19 PM.

SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2939

best way to do good at WSOP. Literally watch all the old WSOP's. They show you the cards and the players at the same time. Best way to learn their tells and what they are going to do with what hands. really only way to do it

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 187

A lotta solid advice here

Imo it so late in the game to try and get really good now

I do miss the golden days of poker not that I made much but it was fun for a while

hawkeye 16
    Update your status
    hawkeye 16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10404

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Donk View Post
    FIRST recommendation would be stay away from the rigged shithole that is sbr poker -- it in no way resembles real poker. if you play live like you do on sbr, expecting the same "randomness" of cards (as sbr is not random whatsoever), you will lose your f'n ass.....

the converse is true, if you play on sbr, forget everything you know about playing real poker live, as statistics do not apply at sbr like they do in the real world....

for eg., real world, KK is a premium starting hand, on sbr, it sucks the fatman's ass and is almost always a guaranteed loser....

for second eg., 84 on sbr is a premium hand, almost always a winner; whereas playing it live will result in you being cremated 85 percent of the time.

sbr poker, you best get it in behind, or you will get it in the behind.........
    Very true. SBR poker is not a good training mechanism. You will end up like a bad golfer that can't break out of bad habits because they have been conditioned so much. Still fun to play, but just keep it in mind.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Quote Originally Posted by jose21_us View Post
    Easy game to learn but a lifetime to master...
    This is truth.

Lowly Oaftard
    Lowly Oaftard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 447

Clearly, the best way to learn to defeat online poker is to adjust to the rig. Over my tens of millions of hands played online, I have mastered many techniques that can turn any online game into your personal ATM machine. PM me if you would like to learn more.

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1646

lose everything for years
    then quit

cjwatsonfan32
    Emma Mackey does it for me and idk why
    cjwatsonfan32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

you cant get good at poker. its literally luck. you really cant argue otherwise.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Lose for a long time

once you get good

it’s ultra boring

used to live at the Taj

good ole days

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    it’s ultra boring

good ole days
    Once I learned the mixed games it never got boring.

Golden fleece

Quote Originally Posted by Lowly Oaftard View Post
    Clearly, the best way to learn to defeat online poker is to adjust to the rig. Over my tens of millions of hands played online, I have mastered many techniques that can turn any online game into your personal ATM machine. PM me if you would like to learn more.
    interesting....

i played online a few years back but i did quit cuz it really just didn't feel right.... like something was off. definitely different feel from live no doubt

Crusherrr
    Please don't feed the trolls
    Crusherrr's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13779

Quote Originally Posted by Golden fleece View Post
    interesting....

i played online a few years back but i did quit cuz it really just didn't feel right.... like something was off. definitely different feel from live no doubt
    It isn't off at all. Don't listen to any of the mouth breathers that say otherwise.

Golden fleece

Quote Originally Posted by Crusherrr View Post
    It isn't off at all. Don't listen to any of the mouth breathers that say otherwise.
    well to be honest.... i contributed it to most people playing i dunno 15 fuckin tables at the same time jus looking for best hands and odds....

i was old school about it and just wanted to focus my play on one table which is not the way to go online so i was unhappy with my experience

i will say i did do pretty well at 2 in the morning when everyone would jump on tables after drinking.... it was obvious how some would just push and push with garbage at that time of night

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Hard to stay ahead of the rake.

KnuckleHeadz
    KnuckleHeadz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4499

Someone cracked out trying to get those
    Post up

WalkingLuckCharm
    WalkingLuckCharm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2947

youtube has a bunch of stuff these days from players promoting courses and lessons. if u dig through some are quite good and teach hands through the use of the solver.

dont bother with harrington books they are more geared towards beginners.

reviewing hand history will help you immensely

been playing full time for more than a decade now, though dominantly PLO these days. i do well for myself, though i would advise choosing the same lifestyle choice

goofyre
    Cole World.
    goofyre's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

https://solveforwhyacademy.com/

If you wanna play with the pros, its best to learn from the pros.

Golden fleece

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    You want twisted, my guy is the "Unibomber" Phil Laak.
    Laak will play anything.
    Like in this video he plays K7 off suit.
    Watch what happens here, watch how Laak floats after the turn card.
    Must see video!

this was AWESOME btw nashy

Golden fleece

Quote Originally Posted by goofyre View Post
    https://solveforwhyacademy.com/

If you wanna play with the pros, its best to learn from the pros.
    I'll check it out

First 123 Last