Conan
    Conan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 818

removing the emotion of a big hand

I find lately I play fairly well through a session but i'll get a big hand and i'll lose my focus on reading the situation and end up lousing a stack on something that in retrospect seems obvious. Example: Playing 1-3 for a while i have just shy of 300 (289-294?) I have KdKc UTG. I rase standard 12 folds around to BB who makes it 30. This guy is a little more skilled than an average player so i decide to smooth call to coax more value on the flop. Flop is 5d9d9s he bets 35. I think with the flush draw its time so i make it 100. He goes all in. I tank but make the call he had AA, with a dry runout. In retrospect the way that all played out his range was beating me.

sourtwist
    not a non pro
    sourtwist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 548

Think that's what we call a cooler

Not necessarily bad play

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

u can't win every hand unless u got the gummobot
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Chipup

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

AA vs KK = cooler. On flop or pre-flop, $$ going in. Only an Ace on flop may save u.

Test

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

And think about it like this. He MAY do same w/ TT, JJ, or QQ. So, you were pretty un-lucky.

Conan

Yeah but 1010 and even JJ are rare to see played like that. And even if he’s semi bluffing with say AQ or AJ diamonds I’m barley ahead.

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

In addition to what the previous posts said, I would also suggest to take into account what that "better than average player" player might think of you.

I tend to get tunnel vision sometimes, thinking of my great hand and not really properly thinking about what he is trying to tell you about his hand.

If he thinks you are a solid TAG player, his range is tighter and AA should come into your thought process. If he thinks you are looser and not as solid, the 1010 and JJ hands can come into your thought process.

Lastly I am the same with regards to big hands, without making it obvious that I am steamed, I try to take a quick break when this happens.

Cheers and Good luck!

Conan

yea i mean we can play the meta game but what does a person 3 bet pre with? then what do they 3 bet jam with after that on the flop with? like at that point i think they have a 9 or aa 40% and AQ AJ Diamond another 40 im looking to elivate my game make the tough folds and calls i want to be the guy who folds in this situation because i just know. maybe im just dreaming but i want top be that good and im looking for a way to think that makes it so,

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    yea i mean we can play the meta game but what does a person 3 bet pre with? then what do they 3 bet jam with after that on the flop with? like at that point i think they have a 9 or aa 40% and AQ AJ Diamond another 40 im looking to elivate my game make the tough folds and calls i want to be the guy who folds in this situation because i just know. maybe im just dreaming but i want top be that good and im looking for a way to think that makes it so,
    I hear you. I was just putting my 2c in. I struggle with the very thing you point out. What I try to work on is not getting too focused on my hand and really try to gauge what the other guy is either telling or trying to tell me about his hand. Given experience with a specific player that hopefully will get honed so you understand his ranges and what he will do in response to your actions.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Everyone talks about crying calls but crying folds are a thing too. Sometimes it just doesn’t make sense to pay them off whether you have a premium hand or not. If I don’t have a reliable read that villain can do this with less than KK my Kings go to the muck if the money means anything to me. If your roll is 100+ buyins just ride the variance but I’ll assume you don’t hold $30k plus for 1-3 poker so tight is right in the meantime.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    im looking to elivate my game make the tough folds and calls i want to be the guy who folds in this situation because i just know. maybe im just dreaming but i want top be that good and im looking for a way to think that makes it so,
    Be the guy who can identify the live ones and maneuver yourself into pots against them. Don’t worry about being the guy who folds the second nuts because those situations don’t come up nearly as much as random action from Johnny WSOP who just got done binge watching poker after dark and wants to pull off his best Durrr impression.