ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24857

I contemplate and then fold. Just wasn't sure my outs were clean.

As it turns out, my outs were in fact clean:
    * PF had Q9, he was betting 2nd pair + over.
    * Button had AT, for TPTK.

Turn was a Queen. If I was heads-up vs PF, I would have stacked him. Queen would have given him 2pr and completed my straight.

ChuckyTheGoat

Opti, left after midnite. LONG day, but fun.

Here's the bummer. You think about What it Could have been? I'll get to that in a minute.

ChuckyTheGoat

As I mentioned, I ran pretty good on the flips. If I was ahead, I held. And won my share of flips.

L2 noteworthy hands I'll mention:

* Did have one big suckout that was near the $$bubble. Getting short, start of bingo-phase of tournament.

I go all-in w/ 99, get called by guy to my left. Figure I'm in bad shape. Yep, he has JJ.

By turn, board is 8-hi but with 876. So, I have 10 outs to hit Set or Straight. River is a 9! Make set.

ChuckyTheGoat

Here's the hand that knocked me out. Hold onto your hats:

* I'm at 12BB in mid-pos, I go all-in w/ 99. Get a late-pos All-in...he has QQ. BigBlind calls us w/ AK.

Flop comes Ace-hi...with a 9! Great, I'm in pole-position for TRiple up! How's this for a run-out on Turn/River? A...K!

Dude hit Aces full of Kings on runner-runner! He makes bigger boat that beats my Nines-fullOfAces.

Left pondering what could have been. That would put me in great shape to make Final Table, which is payout of $2000+. And from there...u make the REAL $$. What could have been.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Opti, left after midnite. LONG day, but fun.

Here's the bummer. You think about What it Could have been? I'll get to that in a minute.
    Yeah I was thinking that's a long day to get close to good money. 700 bucks for playing cards all afternoon and evening isn't bad really though.

How many casual players do you think are left in the field with 35 to go?

ChuckyTheGoat

Opti, when u say "casual players"...I think a LOT. I don't think that many PROS play the $235 event.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47650

Here's the hand that knocked me out. Hold onto your hats:

* I'm at 12BB in mid-pos, I go all-in w/ 99. Get a late-pos All-in...he has QQ. BigBlind calls us w/ AK.

Flop comes Ace-hi...with a 9! Great, I'm in pole-position for TRiple up! How's this for a run-out on Turn/River? A...K!

Dude hit Aces full of Kings on runner-runner! He makes bigger boat that beats my Nines-fullOfAces.

Left pondering what could have been. That would put me in great shape to make Final Table, which is payout of $2000+. And from there...u make the REAL $$. What could have been.
    If you're being honest with yourself, you got it in bad so you can't be too upset...that should help with the what could have beens.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

Opti, when u say "casual players"...I think a LOT. I don't think that many PROS play the $235 event.
    LOL... I guess. Still, could be full of regular players who have read poker books etc. Was just wondering how much chance a luckbox has to make a final table at these size tournies.

ChuckyTheGoat

Opti, responding to your question. I don't think the casual player is at too big of a dis-advantage. I saw many crazy players go deep in the tournaments. Guys that were making plays and sometimes playing any2.

One reason I say that. Poker tournaments are about taking a shot at the blinds. Sometimes, the mid-level player is TOO tight. Waiting around for big holdings and then raising to clear out the blinds? Couldn't u do that w/ any2 cards?

ChuckyTheGoat

To follow-up my point, I believe it's often better to be ACTIVE than to be inactive. And a player that's too tight is easier to read. An opponent knows they have to fold often vs the really tight player.

The reality on poker-hands. Most hand matchups are in the 60/40 range. As an example, see how AK matches up vs various holdings. My point is that the super-active player is often not catching inappropriate odds.

ChuckyTheGoat

To the results for Tuesday:

* I went thru two bullets. 1st bullet, I blanked.

2nd bullet, I finished 120th (out of 1150). Gross $385. So, day's Net was negative.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    If you're being honest with yourself, you got it in bad so you can't be too upset...that should help with the what could have beens.
    Blah-blah. Runner-runner is ~ 1% at that point.

ChuckyTheGoat

1st bullet hi-lites. I didn't last long, so not much to say:

I showed up a few minutes late, which was my bad. Long lines, I should have been there earlier.

Pretty much comes down to one hand:

* EArly limper, Mid-pos player makes BIG raise. 6x BB. So, what holding is that?

In my experience, the massive OVERPlay hands are JJ and AJ. People don't want to PLAY these hands, but they want to take down blinds pre-flop. This is rarely AA, unless it's a real amateur. Sometimes, the over-raise can also be AK. Same reason, hand that player is worried about bricking on the flop.

I'm to his left, I have KK. I know people will give me crap about this. I call w/ KK. I don't want to reveal the strength of my hand. I could be calling w/ many different hands. I feel like I'm trapping here and can make a big score on different flops.

Flop comes JT7. Not the best. Of course, I now know that I might be behind. He bets, I raise. He re-raises, and I raise again. He goes all-in and I call.

Am I trapping here? He could have QQ. Or am I getting schooled? He turns over JJ. I lose 70% of my stack.

ChuckyTheGoat

Of course, I feel like a dunce for getting stacked there. Opponent had fewer chips than me. I still had 30% of my stack remaining. Could it have played out differently? Should I have played a smaller pot?

The opponent didn't strike me as an opponent that would lay down JJ pre-flop. Do I really want to bloat the pot even more? A raise surely stymies any action behind me.

A low-flop puts opponent in a terrible position. I really don't regret not re-raising. After he hits top set, I think I'm destined to go broke. Could anyone fold there? I don't see how. Like I said, QQ could be a reasonable holding for him. Even AJ might feel like he has "the nuts" in this hand.

ChuckyTheGoat

On 1st bullet, I had two big hands after the KK/JJ hand:

* Flopped top-set w/ KK. On very next hand, flopped set w/ 99.

Unfortunately, didn't make a penny post-flop. EVen checked KK after I made the set. Bet the turn and got a Fold.
    Last edited by ChuckyTheGoat; 06-14-17 at 09:08 AM. Reason: was actually 99

ChuckyTheGoat

Busted out shortly after.

Bought-in for 2nd bullet.

ChuckyTheGoat

Not too many memorable hands on 2nd bullet. You have to flip well on the All-ins. Had a couple suckouts:

* On 3-way all-in, AQ vs KK vs A7, I flop trips and make Full House.

* After making $$, went all-in w/ JJ. Got called by QQ. Flopped Jack for set.

ChuckyTheGoat

In BigBlind, did make a call that most wouldn't. Holding T6, all folds except PF-raiser who was short-stacked. Catching almost +300 odds, have to call. He has AT, and I lose.

Knocked out in 120th. I hold 10BB, Mid-Pos raiser, I have 99 behind him and I go All-in. He pondered and decides to call. Says that he almost folded, holding AJ. In retrospect, feel like my play was a little light at 10BB. He hits Jack and beats me.
    Last edited by ChuckyTheGoat; 06-14-17 at 09:10 AM. Reason: AJ

ChuckyTheGoat

Having played for a few days, I have a few observations:

* There's a saying that Cash Game players are superior to Tournament players.
    ...I have to say there's a good bit of truth to that. Most obvious reason is that Cash game players are used to playing w/ massive BB-stacks behind. Tournament players are just not that comfortable w/ post-flop play.

ChuckyTheGoat

Another comment:

* Tournament player Bet-size corresponds to hand-strength.
    ...With few exceptions, I have found this to be true. It's crazy to me:

AA pre-flop, player bets 5xBB. Who is calling u?

Players makes big hand post-flop. Why hesitate? All-in. Unless you're a maniac, u don't call. The concept of value-betting is foreign to people.

ChuckyTheGoat

I have to report one huge All-in hand that played out at my table:

* Late-position player raises w/ 77, gets called out of BB w/ KK.

Flop comes K72. Set over set! Turn is a brick. River is a 7!

Guy made Quads on River...to beat top Full House.

ChuckyTheGoat

Opti...since this a Strategy thread, I wanted to get back to your question and my response:

* I really don't think it's that crazy for the average player to make deep runs in these daily tournaments.

Is poker a game of Strategy? Or is it a Game of Skill? Well, it's both. You need to have a clue, and u have to run good.

ChuckyTheGoat

The player that has read poker-books may fall into predictable patterns. The player that is a "loose cannon" becomes trickier to play against.

Many players are afraid to put $$ in the pot w/ marginal holdings. A loose-cannon is fearless. And this is often a valuable trait in poker.

As I referenced, I saw several maniac-types go deep in these events:
    * One Asian guy was enough of a wildcard. He got me off hands that would have won.
    * One Oklahoma guy was seemingly playing any2 at times. Hey, any2 can flop 2-pair as good as any other cards. Right?
    * Saw a Florida guy that was very active and cashed. He held 85...and hit Turn/River for 2-pair.

ChuckyTheGoat

Reference back to my points about poker being a Game of Odds and game of playing for the blind$$.

If you're not in the hand, u can't win the pot. The active players are the guys who have a chance. The Florida guy even said "you can't get lucky...if u don't play the hand."

ChuckyTheGoat

To follow-up this idea of getting the blinds, this is very important as the Blinds go up and you're playing on a short-stack. Every "blind steal" adds a good % to your stack.

The Blinds + Antes are a good chunk, relative to your stack. Can sometimes increase your stack by 15% just by stealing the blinds.

sinmiedo
    sinmiedo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 369

Nice reading Chucky, and looks like you are enjoying it with a passion, and that makes me happy.
    I m hopping to have a good run while there, that is the objective, i do not know if i would be involve in a tournament, most i prefer cash game since my nature is cash tables, however, i had a lot of successes in the past on small crowd tournaments, 100 or less.
    keep it up bud and enjoy every second of it.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47650

Blah-blah. Runner-runner is ~ 1% at that point.
    ok, let's conveniently ignore the fact that you were completely dominated preflop when all the chips went in...whatever helps you sleep at night pal.
    Last edited by JAKEPEAVY21; 06-14-17 at 08:24 AM.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by sinmiedo View Post
    Nice reading Chucky, and looks like you are enjoying it with a passion, and that makes me happy.
    I m hopping to have a good run while there, that is the objective, i do not know if i would be involve in a tournament, most i prefer cash game since my nature is cash tables, however, i had a lot of successes in the past on small crowd tournaments, 100 or less.
    keep it up bud and enjoy every second of it.
    Thx, sinner. I'm enjoying it and making the most of it.

One of the points I was trying to make re: Opti's question...I don't feel like I'm above anyone. Any2 cards are capable of winning.

I've been pondering the $3000 6max today. I go back + forth, but part of me knows it's a bad idea. That would be stepping up to the big-leagues and playing vs name-pros. Just don't think I've done the LEGWORK to think I'm ready for that.

gkramerica
    gkramerica's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

99 is the nuts at 10bb with antes.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by gkramerica View Post
    99 is the nuts at 10bb with antes.
    Hey, Kramerica. What's up?

I agree w/ u. Too late in the tournament to be folding 99. I have a chart I work off, and 99 is right on the cusp.

I laid down 88 in similar spot, and opponent showed 99.

ChuckyTheGoat

Your note about the antes is a good one. The top-players adjust for Antes.

They know you have to be more aggressive w/ Antes in play. Changes the odds you're shooting at.

ChuckyTheGoat

I saw one higher-end player who was curiously active after the Antes were in play. He was pretty successful picking up the blinds.

He would just barely Min-raise. Like 2.2xBB. A few times he had to show his hand. Almost regardless of position, he was playing hands like 63s and 75s.

Triple_D_Bet
    Triple_D_Bet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 219

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Jake has the right of it here; all that matters is the decisions you make, and you got it in preflop bad (not an altogether unreasonable situation, just bad timing). What happens along the way to the hand losing isn't really relevant; if you wonder what could have been after 3 cards but before 5, you could just as easily wonder about any two cards outflopping any other two cards right?

gkramerica
    gkramerica's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

* EArly limper, Mid-pos player makes BIG raise. 6x BB. So, what holding is that?
    In my experience, the massive OVERPlay hands are JJ and AJ. People don't want to PLAY these hands, but they want to take down blinds pre-flop. This is rarely AA, unless it's a real amateur. Sometimes, the over-raise can also be AK. Same reason, hand that player is worried about bricking on the flop.
    Great updates Chucky...please win one of these so you can stay an extra couple weeks and play the 888 with me.
    Anyway, I don't mind the call pre-flop, but I would probably 3 bet to make sure the blinds and limper don't come along.

I don't see much reason to raise the flop. I guess you could raise with the intention of folding to a 3 bet, but I'd rather flat and let him continue to bet his QQ/AJ/AK/etc. You block the straight draws, so his 3bet looks like AA/QQ/JJ/TT which is not good. I'm not really sure how many people would play AJ like this preflop or on the flop.

His 5bet jam removes any doubt but maybe you were committed by then.

ChuckyTheGoat

Thx, Kramerica. I can kick myself over that hand for sure. Feel like I might have been destined to go busto there.

I pretty much realized that the only hand I'm trapping at that point is QQ. Can a better player lay that hand down post-flop? Maybe.

After the 2nd raise, I did feel pot-committed. Hard to lay it down.

First 12345 ... Last