RisingDough
    RisingDough's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1674

Quote Originally Posted by Ballerholic View Post
    Monthly Profit: $130

Hours Played: 40

Two weeks in and volume hasn't been that great. I really need to pick it up. Hourly hasn't been great either, but I'm not really concerned as I do think it's there. Most of my profit was diminished when I jumped into 30NL Snap and hit some coolers. Anyway, need to pickup the volume and study hugely. I need to remember this is really all I have to do and I need to go hard. The goal is to be playing 50NL full time by the end of summer. So I'll need to 1) Begin playing 50NL and 2) Be a winning player there. I'm not really sure what a good play/study ration is...maybe 80/20? I think of 8 hours, playing 6 and studying 2 is good. The good news is that I'm profitable at 20NL and if we look at my stats I've got around a 8bb/100 winrate at it. I just have run bad at slightly higher stakes in a higher variance game format although I know I can beat it even for a small amount since the pool was very soft.

Again no hands since I don't want another infraction...
    One big thing to consider when grinding micro stakes is the RAKE can eat you alive!

Ballerholic
    Ballerholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1806

Chuck- 25NL means the buyin amount which is 100bb. So it's .10/.25 blinds.

Dough- Yea that's what im loving about poker. Idk, it's kind of weird telling people that im playing poker as an income. They just look at me funny hahah. Agreed though, one issue I'm having is getting in the necessary volume. Obviously if I had say, a boss, they would make me work. I am getting better on this front though. Also the rake is insane. I mean I'm being raked at least 10-11bb/100. That means that I have to be winning at 17bb/100 to just have a 7bb/100 winrate. In an hour I'm paying the poker site $10 to play. That's why it is so important to just move up as quickly as possible. Sure, I could battle regs and beat them. But I still have to beat them by at least 11bb to be winning in poker lol. Crazy!!

RisingDough

Rake is the killer. I am grinding live poker to pay the bills at the moment so if you ever want to discuss hands or the grind in general I'd be happy to discuss.

RisingDough

You would probably be better picking up an extra day at the part time job and just taking a break from NL25 build the bankroll from job and use extra time to study. Then after saving up a little extra BR, jump back in to a bigger game.

Ballerholic

Monthly Profit: $200

Hours Played: 60

Hours still need to pickup big time, but profit wise I've been going in the right direction. I've really got no problem with 25NL and I really think I can do this fulltime or even part time as long as I put the hours in. 50NL is just on the horizon and that's where serious cash can be made. Hopefully things continue upwards!

Graph of one of the sites:

Ballerholic

June Update

Monthly Profit: $250

Hours played: 70

Disappointing month overall in terms of volume and profit. At least it was a profitable month and 10 buyins were made. July needs to be a very productive and profitable month. I've got 2 more months of summer to my poker game and bankroll up to the point of being able to play 50nl regularly and hopefully even 100nl online and at least 200nl live. This month I should be shot taking 50nl soon as long as I don't hit any downswings. I'm also considering trying out some live poker even if I only go in with 2-3 buyins and hopefully hit a nice upswing and do that fulltime! We'll see, maybe tomorrow I'll hit up some .50/1 Live!

Triple_D_Bet
    Triple_D_Bet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 219

28 BB/100 is a huge winrate which you won't keep as you move up. You can't make enough at 25NL to make a decent hourly, especially only 4-6 tabling as it seems you are. I don't see any EV numbers either, what's your EV-adjusted winnings?

Regardless, if 1/2 live is an option and you are even half rolled ($2k) for it, I'd say go there...quality of play will be comparable if not worse than 25NL, and though you wont make 28BB/100 you can almost certainly pick up a better hourly if you pick your spots wisely (play when the casual players do).

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

I would stake this guy no doubt

RudyRuetigger

can we see allinev and nonshowdown winnings?

Ballerholic

Triple- yea win rate is definitely unachievable long term or at higher stakes, but I do believe a 10+bb win rate is. Unfortunately I do not have a live roll at the moment and I have to focus all of my time online. Hopefully I can get a bankroll as soon as possible as I hear live is very soft and more comparable to 5nl online.

Rue- haha thanks man, let's talk about staking! Srs though I did ask my parents to invest in me for for live poker, and they kind of laughed it off with a stern no. I kind of said it in a joking matter with serious intent. Anyway yea I can post some stuff here. This is all from June 1st onwards to this moment...

Ballerholic

UpdateMonthly Profit: $4Hours Played: 18Definitely need to pick up volume once again, but I was away for the beginning of July and was jetlagged when I got back. Anyway, so far this month I've played 25NL and just shot took 50nl last night. 25NL was going very well and 50NL ruined all profits. Small sample though so nothing to worry about. I'm very confident I beat those games. 25NL:50NL:

I'm not too sure what to do at this point. BR at $460 and I think I'll just play some 25NL until I hit $550 and then try 50NL again.

slikec
    slikec's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

I dont know i wanna be harsh to maybe help you(i wish someone was harsh when i was starting years ago) but atm ill just point gently some really obvious leaks you have:
    1. EGO! Even if you think you beat some limit you dont start with 11bi unless you plan to reload anyway.
    2. Hours! You wanna be poker pro playing way under 100hours monthly? Well you can but if you do you are not taking it very seriously which means youll progress really slowly if at all.

That is as gently as i can put two the most obvious leaks in hope youll understand i mean well.

Enjoy

RudyRuetigger

yea bro you do need to play way more

RudyRuetigger

bro you need that money won without showdown in the +

Ballerholic

slik- I appreciate the advice man! Honestly though, please be harsh on me. Swear and make fun of me if you want. I 100% agree with what you are saying and I need you to get that thru to me. Yea need to play at least 160 hours a month. I've changed my sleep schedule so that I can grind more. Also yea 50nl might be dumb with that many buyins, but man this pool is soft. I'm talking two 40vpip players on each table.

Rudy- Definitely need to play more, volume is pretty bad. Agreed showdown needs to be better. It definitely can improve as well with more focus on tables and bluffing. I've been slightly hesitant as the ignition pool compared to the euro sites I've played on in the past is insanely soft and has a bunch of calling stations. I'll work on that though!

Ballerholic

Total Profit: $137Hours Played: 3316.5 hours a week averaged. Pretty bad. Also only averaging about $3 an hour which isn't the worst and definitely could get better. Still 25NL is around 10bb/100 winrate this month and 50NL is breakeven. I definitely know for a fact I can beat 50NL, but it will be higher variance. But as you can see I did a shot take at 50nl and am breakeven. Although it says I ran bad really good at 50nl, the opposite is true. Lost KK to AA. Also had this beautiful hand...

https://www.weaktight.com/h/5962d096d390435a5d8b460a50NLAnyway, goal is to mainly play 25NL while shot taking 50NL when I'm really focused and feel that the pool is soft. Going to go hard for the rest of the month. Very optimistic goal being set here, but I want to make $1k total for the month by July 31st. I plan on playing at least 60 hours a week for this to happen. I also create a nice little 2 week plan to optimize playing. Sleep, study, workout, meditation, poker plan. Remember, goal is to hit 100NL by end of August.

Ballerholic

Monthly Profit: $251Hours Played: 41So far things are going pretty well. Up a very good amount so far this month. Although I do hold myself to a high standard, $6/hour is still crushing in these games. Also a lot of that is attributed to playing 10 hours of 50nl which haven't done too much for me. However, after speaking with my backer last night, I officially have the go ahead to start 50NL!!!! LEGGOOOOO!!!! Time to start making some real money now in poker. As long as the shot goes well I might have to delete this thread and make a 50NL version haha. Remember the goal was to be playing 50NL before the end of the month and 100NL by the end of August. So far so good! The thing I'm most proud of though is playing my only three SBR tournaments of the year Friday, Monday, Tuesday and cashing in all of them!!!!Month to date: Mainly 25NL with some 50NL mixed in.

Ballerholic

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24857

Baller, props on the success. Realistically, your hourly Earn is going to have to get bigger at some point, for this to be sustainable.

One hand question that I'd have for u. In No-Limit, reality is that you're going to be faced w/ All-In decisions on occasion. In less than obvious All-In decisions, how do u instinctually play?

IE, I'm not talking about no-brainers like AA (pre-flop) or super-nutted hands post-flop. Good to mediocre holdings where u think your opponent might be playing w/ you.

One example that comes to mind is some of the action around the Button pre-flop. Button opens are often so light. SmallBlind/BigBlind know this. Sometimes, they come over the top and put u to the test. IN GENERAL, how do u react to this? Obviously, you'd (normally) be compelled to call w/ premium hands (AK, JJ+). What about more modest holdings like AQ? TT/99?

ChuckyTheGoat

At your playing level, do u find that the BETTER players are using All-In plays FREQUENTLY? Or infrequently?

My understanding is that the better players are always putting their opponents to the test for stacks.

slikec
    slikec's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

About that hand 88 https://www.weaktight.com/h/5962d096d390435a5d8b460a

Even OTT is hard call 3 way but ok that i must say i would call most cases. But OTR 3 way you are doomed is easy x/fold or call if is really small bet like 10% or less. OTR 3 way what you defeat that you value bet 1/2? And when you get raised is easy fold remember is 3 way pot players very rarely bluff in this spot 38$ to win 19$(talking about side pot).

If instead 8TTT board would be 8777 for example that is totally different story and your play would be totally standard there cause you defeat all PPs.
    Last edited by slikec; 07-19-17 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Added sth.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

guy seems disciplined at least which puts him in the top .01% on this place

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    guy seems disciplined at least which puts him in the top .01% on this place
    No doubt. I've conversed w/ Baller several times. He knows that I (+ most of the SBR Boys) are pulling for him.

ChuckyTheGoat

My feeling is that the better players don't tank on big decisions for show. My feeling is that they are literally running computer simulations in their head.

They are processing information and using it to make the correct decision. When u think about it, if a hand goes to River and an All-in decision is to be made, u have a lot to contemplate:
    1) What is opponent's profile? VPIP and several other stats.
    2) What does his Range look like based on Pre-flop action?
    3) Same question for F/T/R. My impression is that the top players narrow an opponent's range down very specifically by River.

One other thing about River decisions in Poker. The reality is that when u look at the 5-card board...there are often not THAT MANY true hi-end value hands.

RudyRuetigger

Quote Originally Posted by slikec View Post
    About that hand 88 https://www.weaktight.com/h/5962d096d390435a5d8b460a

Even OTT is hard call 3 way but ok that i must say i would call most cases. But OTR 3 way you are doomed is easy x/fold or call if is really small bet like 10% or less. OTR 3 way what you defeat that you value bet 1/2? And when you get raised is easy fold remember is 3 way pot players very rarely bluff in this spot 38$ to win 19$(talking about side pot).
    yea that river play looks bad

Ballerholic

Chuck- What do you mean by all in? Preflop or when they put you all in on flops/turns/rivers? Basically preflop is standard range unless we have specific reads on villain. Post flop usually playing pretty tight unless we have reads on villain. If we're at the top of our range it's hard to fold ever. On flops and turns a lot of times if the board is drawy villain might jam. Especially for River jams we have to go thru how the entire hand played out, assess our read on the guy, and then decide. As far as tanking in poker, most of the time the guy is thinking about combos and going thru the hand, other times the guy is trying to "balance" his tanking range. I definitely agree, it is very hard for players to make monster hands which is why we can bluff players a lot. Think about all the hands you take to the river, how many of them are 2pair+. Not that many in reality and a lot of boards you would even fold 2pair on river to jams or overbets.

trinity- thanks man. I'm trying to get to pro status so hopefully one day I'll be the best poker player on this site.

Slik/Rudy- I played that 88 hand so terribly. The advice I got from better players was to raise flop and to fold turn as played. Completely butchered that hand. Well at least I know now what I did wrong.

RudyRuetigger

3bet 8s preflop??

no thanks

RisingDough

88 hand was ugly but never be shy or embarrassed about a hand you play just learn everyday!

ChuckyTheGoat

BAller, I was talking more about Opponent jamming All-in pre-flop. If u don't hold a Premium hand, have to think about what hands you'd call with. Your answer is very good, tho. Can tell you're a thinking player.

Your comments are spot-on. That's pretty much my point. It's one thing to have something on the flop. By the time we get to river, the true VALUE hands are not that wide. Is AA even that great as an overpair on river? It can be beat, for sure.

If topPair on Flop doesn't improve by River, can't feel super-strong about that holding. By River, u really want 2pair+ to feel like u have a real hand.

It's questions like this that humble me. Feel like the best players have thought thru every scenario and are not caught off guard.

Ballerholic

Yea guys 88 hand definitely butchered haha. Anyway, played my 4th SBR tourney of the year last night and cashed for the 4th time. Ended up taking down the tournament and winning it! The night before I came 2nd.

http://i67.tinypic.com/1zlu5ad.jpg
    Points Awarded:

ChuckyTheGoat gave Ballerholic 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ChuckyTheGoat

Props on the tourney cash, Baller. I'm sure you'd do well over time on those tourneys.

Question about bet-sizing. My opinion is that the BEST player doesn't give anything away w/ bet-sizing. Every bet looks like the other bet. IE, he doesn't give away his hand strength until he has to.

My feeling is that weaker players give away their hand w/ huge JUMP bets. Big bet? OK, he made his hand. I have to think about getting away from MY hand, unless I have a hand of equivalent strength.

U like that thinking?

ChuckyTheGoat

I think back about so many hands where I had a good (but beatable) holding and got stacked off by opponent's massive bet.

Invariably, they're holding dynamite. Guys normally don't bet big w/ air.

Ballerholic

Chuck- Thanks for the points man, much appreciated! Yes I agree with you on betsizing. You don't give anything away. So most fish will bet big when they have a big hand, and bet small when they don't. For pros, they can do either one and have a strong or weak hand. When pros pot the river, according to odds they need to be able to win the hand 50% of the time. Therefore their range here is usually polarized and contains both strong hands and bluffs. A lot of pros nowadays, will bet the flop with a 1/3 sizing almost always so that you can't tell if their hand is strong or weak. To be fair a lot of people will fold to that size, and when they do call their range is very wide on the turn and can easily enough fold to another barrel.

But yea when playing fish it's night and day. Especially if they are passive. When they bet big for the first time in 20 hands, they've got it.

Ballerholic

Damn guys, 5th tournament of the year and 5th cash baby!!! Took down 4th, LEGOOOOOO. It was funny, yesterday I was trying to rollover my 600 point win and I literally could not hit a hand for like 200 hands, and when I did I would get insanely sucked out on. So I was really tilted because I, like many other members here who play real poker, know that the software is rigged for action and who knows what else. So I commented that the software is rigged in the chat and Grivas started talking back saying I need to go play where I make money and stuff like that...Mind you he also won AK vs my QQ all in pre lol. So I just said, "Grivas no offense, but you're a fish". I apologized shortly after and we talked for a bit. Anyway I'm always one to think you should never call anybody a fish, especially if they are one as you don't want them to leave. But man obviously in the moment you just want to berate them haha. Lesson learned, especially if I go play live poker.

Anyway, played some 50NL last night. In total over 11 hours at that stake I'm up just under 2 buyins. I need to play a lot of volume this weekend, but I'm really bad at it. I'm thinking of trying to come up with an hourly challenge for the weekend and if I don't hit it I'll raffle off some points here.

ChuckyTheGoat

Salud, Baller. U know we're pulling for u. I'll always have more Questions for u. Let me know if they grow tiresome:

1) Are u STRICTLY a cash-player? If you're looking for backers, I'd be more inclined to back u on a local tournament. If for no other reason than to say that I could track you + root for u.

2) Here's a strategy question for u. On Flop, how differently do u perceive the action Heads-up vs Multi-way? Saying is that it's much easier to bluff out one opponent. Much harder to bluff out multiple opponents. If I raise Pre-flop, if I see multiple callers, I mentally know that I'm not going to bluff at this pot too hard. I might semi-bluff on the flop if I have a Draw or 2nd-pair.

Saw a WSOP hand tonite. Multi-way, Antonio saying PF-raiser doesn't have to have a hand to bet Flop. My opinion is that they're very likely to have TopPair+ if they bet into 2 opponents.

First 1234 Last