Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Rebuy Tournament Strategy Advice

Comment was made in todays rebuy tourney thread;

Quote Originally Posted by playersonly69 View Post
    I am 100 points short of having enough points to play it correctly

I've played a local live rebuy tourney a few times and have never done a rebuy but in each event around 80% of starters do rebuy.

Asked a few people if this is a sign my strategy is 'wrong' and maybe I don't go out as aggressive as I 'should' in these things.

A couple of people have said it's good to not have to rebuy.

Opinions?

BigOrange
    BigOrange's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5441

You shouldn't play in a rebuy if you can't afford to rebuy or are unwilling to do so.

Come out aggressive and try to build up a stack quickly. Rebuy and rinse and repeat a few times if it doesn't work.

I've played in and won a lot of good sized rebuy tournaments. It's all about getting a big stack early and being able to afford to play aggressive once the rebuy period is over.

Optional

It's not a refusal to do it. I've had the money with me to rebuy each time but have just never come close to needing to. Ended up 15th to 20th, 5 or 10 spots spots short of cashing every time so far. Out of ~120.

Not playing aggressive enough after the rebuy period might be a flaw though. I have felt kind of walked all over a few times. Or maybe it's just hard to switch from grinding for the first couple of hours to being aggressive after that so I should be playing that way all along.

BigOrange
    BigOrange's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5441

Opti come out and play aggressive in the next couple of rebuy events rebuy at least once if need be. Keep that aggressive play up through the bubble and see if your results improve.

It's worked for me. You know how aggressive I play. I even turn that up a notch in rebuy events.
    Points Awarded:

Optional gave BigOrange 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

It's up to the specific players tolerance for risk. Some guys like to let the wildmen fire all the bullets while they sit back and build equity, then some other guys like to be the wildmen driving the action and trying to build a stack early.

The "by the book" rebuy strat is fast and loose early, then hopefully you have a big stack to push the table around after the rb period. Problem is if youre not comfortable doing that you'll more than likely make a mistake and bust.

Figure out out where you stand and play your game. Don't try to play a style that makes you uncomfortable.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

these guys summed it up, opti

try and accumulate big stack early during rebuy period

How much is the buyin of your rebuy tournament? how many starting chips? How much are the rebuys and how many chips do you get?

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

there's rule about add ons.... if you're only increasing your stack by twenty-thirty percent, why bother.... if it's a 110 trny and rebuys/add-ons are sixty bucks, with 40 players, only add-on at the break if you get 35-40 Percent or greater of your stack via the rebuy...

and yes, it's been well put by everyone above... but make it selective aggression, not just aggressive aggression ..... semi bluff your flopped draws strong.....

pull one big ass check raise bluff near the end of the first hour, on a dry board, preferably with a few outs ....

glare at people.....

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Donk View Post

glare at people.....
    This advice only works well when you're a big Texan with a mean voice so ymmv opti
    Points Awarded:

Optional gave SharpAngles 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    these guys summed it up, opti

try and accumulate big stack early during rebuy period

How much is the buyin of your rebuy tournament? how many starting chips? How much are the rebuys and how many chips do you get?
    $200+$20

6000 in chips.

1 rebuy allowed only at 220 for another 6000 and if you want to hand in your stack you can buy a new 6000 for 220 at the break.

But I see that last option as kind of useless as I am always in the 10-15k range at break usually, so too tough starting with 6k then.
    Last edited by Optional; 06-07-16 at 02:45 PM.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

in that case, I'd probably play kinda wild with first bullet and try to get some chips and be willing to rebuy if that goes awry

probably wouldn't bother with the add on at the break
    Points Awarded:

Optional gave JAKEPEAVY21 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

4uk4life
    4uk4life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1820

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    This advice only works well when you're a big Texan with a mean voice so ymmv opti
    You ever heard someone with a mean voice say "Good Day Mate"?
    Points Awarded:

stikymess gave 4uk4life 70 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by 4uk4life View Post

You ever heard someone with a mean voice say "Good Day Mate"?

Audio and voice recording >>

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    sounded like ol mic dunday

snip3r2006
    snip3r2006's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21

in unlimited rebuys + AO, a first rb at start is massiv +ev

in online Tourneys for example i callculate 5BI for a Reg RB and 9BI for Turbos