SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

The secret life of a professional poker player: I’m on the fringes of society

Excellent short read. I feel this guys misery on a lot of levels. Whoever said hard way to make an easy living is a Fkn genius.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...e-poker-player

I turned to the stoics for help. Those ancient philosophers had a tonne of good advice for the modern-day poker player to add to his or her psychological toolkit. They focused on self-control, overcoming adversity, being conscious of our impulses, life after failure and so on. Aces cracked for the tenth time in a night? What do you do? Smash up your computer or exercise self-control and concentrate on playing well? Busted a tournament before the money? It’s no fun, but nothing that the words of Marcus Aurelius can’t help soothe: “The thing itself was no misfortune at all; to endure it and prevail is great good fortune.” Even their motto – Nil Admirari (“Be astonished at nothing”) – resonates when at the poker table.
    A reasonable question here might be: why don’t you go and do something less financially precarious and mentally damaging instead? The thing is, I still find poker fascinating. The axiom of it taking five minutes to learn and a lifetime to master has never felt truer. Also, I am in a corner. I’m not sure if I could do anything else with such yawning gaps in my CV – or if I want to.

JoeyBagels
    JoeyBagels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4500

Whoever wrote it is using poker as an excuse for their personal problems.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47642

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    Excellent short read. I feel this guys misery on a lot of levels. Whoever said hard way to make an easy living is a Fkn genius.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...e-poker-player

I turned to the stoics for help. Those ancient philosophers had a tonne of good advice for the modern-day poker player to add to his or her psychological toolkit. They focused on self-control, overcoming adversity, being conscious of our impulses, life after failure and so on. Aces cracked for the tenth time in a night? What do you do? Smash up your computer or exercise self-control and concentrate on playing well? Busted a tournament before the money? It’s no fun, but nothing that the words of Marcus Aurelius can’t help soothe: “The thing itself was no misfortune at all; to endure it and prevail is great good fortune.” Even their motto – Nil Admirari (“Be astonished at nothing”) – resonates when at the poker table.
    A reasonable question here might be: why don’t you go and do something less financially precarious and mentally damaging instead? The thing is, I still find poker fascinating. The axiom of it taking five minutes to learn and a lifetime to master has never felt truer. Also, I am in a corner. I’m not sure if I could do anything else with such yawning gaps in my CV – or if I want to.
    some are more wired to handle the swings without completely falling apart

SharpAngles

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBagels View Post
    Whoever wrote it is using poker as an excuse for their personal problems.
    Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Seemed like a nice compare and contrast of the struggle of the average card player. You're living life on your terms not needing to answer to anyone but you're also on the outside of most social norms and once you've gone deep enough it's close to impossible to turn back. Good luck deciding you want a "real" career after 10+ years of poker/gambling.

JoeyBagels
    JoeyBagels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4500

"I came to the game aimlessly and late at 36, after working as a freelance journalist."

"Time contracts when you spend most of your time on your own in a small room looking at a computer. I can barely recall anything that happened last week but remember the specifics of hands played several years ago. I am 40 now and any hopes of a life consisting of “normal” things – a mortgage, starting a family, hobbies – have all but gone. Poker has put me out on the fringes of society."

"This isn’t healthy. Last year I went deep into the psychological trenches. I was playing live cash games at stakes I wasn’t properly bankrolled for and had a bad run. Losing a week’s wages in two minutes is tough to take."

"When I wasn’t playing, I was drinking to the point of blacking out to cope. I would play hungover or drunk (or both) and badly. Financial problems led to sleepless nights which led to poor decision-making at the tables which led to more sleepless nights. I found myself in a nightmarish loop. By the end of November my mental health was tied together by string. I had chronic insomnia, tinnitus, suicidal thoughts; weight slipped off me and as if that wasn’t enough – and, frankly, I felt like it was – I developed exploding head syndrome."

It's not like he's some kid deciding to pursue poker since he was 36 when he started. He switched to poker and chose not to pursue all those things outside of poker he wanted (kids, house, hobby etc.) yet still was not pursuing them before either yet NOW it's too late because of poker. IMO it wasn't poker preventing all that it was himself. Nothing about playing full time prevents him from getting those things. He may need to put in extra work that wouldn't be required in a profession with more financial stability but it's not that much different from being a freelancer, commissioned salesperson, business owner etc.

Why didn't he go out to meet women? Why does he lack the confidence in social situations and feel guilt towards friends/family? Why does he binge drink? Why is he a hypochondriac? Why does he not understand the nature of a game before deciding to devote his life to it (yet still relishes in beating "better" players)? Are all these poker's fault or his own? And despite all the negativity he experiences from his choices he still decides to persist with the behavior by continuing so he's a coward on top of everything.

There's things he could do to mitigate the bad parts of poker (saving money for instance to deal with the swings), going places to avoid isolating himself socially but nowhere is it indicated that he tried to do anything besides becoming a stoic and degen shot taking. My guess is the unhappiness would follow him in any profession unless he starts changing.

SharpAngles

^^^Well written, and yes , I too cringed at the drunk playing and decision making paragraph but to me that's an example of many leaks someone can have. I would also say positive relationships rely more on a persons social skills than their career choices. Just like poker it also takes a little luck to find friends or lovers who understand and tolerate an unusual profession like this.

Doesn't take away from the true aspects of this life he points out like guilt from providing zero to society and living what amounts to a predatory lifestyle.