sinmiedo
    sinmiedo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 369

SBR forum Poker Strategy

This area of the forum is dedicated to the ones that want to improve in the game.
    I was attracted by the title when i started to play the game, i remember some good and very good advice from guys that used to play the SBR freerolls in Bodog/ Bovada before SBR had their own software/, many are gone, but great guys like DaneBlazer, Jedi, Downsouth,no1here,Arun,Jake,and i can go on and on, still give advice and ideas in how to improve in this mathematical mental game.
    My point is to start again threads here where we can discuss POKER ISSUES , similar to 2+2; among us, among friends that love the game, be able to improve with constructive ideas.
    serious players spend many hours a week, revising books, watching youtube videos, reading articles and sharing experiences among friends( i remember a spot in tv where Dwan talk about how he started and a big part was, hand discussion with his friends)
    One of us is going this year to represent this forum to the main event of the WSOP, 1/50 chances, very good odds for a player with skills but, we will need a lot more when the one must face the real competition.
    Guys, and girls, please lets talk poker from now on, even if we make grammatical mistakes, like in my case, English language was never my strength, but thanks to my psychologist i was able to ignore overcome the issue.
    Best regards to all and good luck

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

Someone brought up books and I will repeat the key points of what I said -

Sklansky first
    Then Harrington
    Then the books for internet players written by Apestyles, Pearljammer and those guys
    Then watch the smurfs, one episode, on repeat with the sound off through a wicker chair on your knees
    Then study Annie Duke - her FBI tells are on point
    Then eat a snowcone
    Then play with a lion
    Then fight a baboon, make sure to lose you don't want to piss off the other ones then they'll leave you alone
    Then play a lot of poker

lolbear
    lolbear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10321

Why would anyone want to improve their direct competitors? This is different from 2+2 because we are playing against each other all the time in a limited pool of players.

If you want strats, why not just go to 2+2? This place are for casuals and trolls and whine-fests and in all seriousness I think people are okay with that.

stevek173

I thought about that and I decided screw it, it's about the team

That actual new to the game guy with undeveloped talent probably won't be a threat to us for this so, I want that guy to win cool shit for himself. Then I want him to use that cool shit to help him meet a girl that he marries then I want them to teach their kids to repeat that. Then I want him to start a rock band, a good one, like the Kings of Leon. Then I want all the fans to do the same thing. Before we know it, there will be no more world wars. Then I want the Kings of leon to do shots with all of them then I want the whole thing to start over again at about 3 the next day, if it's not a work day.
    Last edited by stevek173; 03-29-15 at 10:25 AM.

sinmiedo

Quote Originally Posted by stevek173 View Post
    I thought about that and I decided screw it, it's about the team
    now you got the idea.
    SBR TEAM

stevek173

BAM

I got another couple teams too but I'm all love man, everyone's cool, just like to give back to the brothers and sisters

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by lolbear View Post
    Why would anyone want to improve their direct competitors? This is different from 2+2 because we are playing against each other all the time in a limited pool of players.

If you want strats, why not just go to 2+2? This place are for casuals and trolls and whine-fests and in all seriousness I think people are okay with that.
    Good point, but I think a large percentage of SBR is incapable of improving. They can't admit they're wrong or look at the big picture. Too big of an ego or too stubborn. That's poker players in general though. I'm open to offering my opinion...but I rarely play anymore.

We've tried these threads before and they never last.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

GL OP I've tried a couple of these threads too and they pretty much end in "go to 2+2 if you want strat" which I see you've already gotten haha.

IMO the format here doesn't leave much room for strat anyways

sinmiedo

any comments about this books that are found in this link will be appreciated. i only read the gus hanson , super system 1 and the theory of poker from David Skalansky.

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2014/0...ooks-18297.htm

sinmiedo

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Good point, but I think a large percentage of SBR is incapable of improving. They can't admit they're wrong or look at the big picture. Too big of an ego or too stubborn. That's poker players in general though. I'm open to offering my opinion...but I rarely play anymore.

We've tried these threads before and they never last.

i will try again and again Dane, we need to be more constructive and add to the positive side of what this section of SBR should be referring to.
    I also want to thank you for your input and posting part of your large library in poker, that you shared several times and helped me in my game.
    best regards
    sin
    Last edited by sinmiedo; 03-30-15 at 06:58 AM.

stevek173

I'll throw something in - I do love Doyle as a legend but I find supersystem to be useless. Matter of opinion, but I do.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Stop getting it in as a 90 percent fav and losing to run run flush every sbr tourney

SharpAngles

I'll throw something in - I do love Doyle as a legend but I find supersystem to be useless. Matter of opinion, but I do.
    Other than Jen Harmon's Limit Holdem section in SS2, which is world class, I agree with you. Way too many concepts in that book do not hold up in today's games. Especially funny to me is Negreanu's 2-7 triple draw strat. I still think his whole chapter is a level because some of it is lolbad.

stevek173

Ah I didn't take the time for those, now I definitely won't. I think next up for me in live games is this book about tells. I got too know a few from Annie Duke but that looks more comprehensive.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Tells are a little over rated. People concentrate on looking for them too much and either level themselves or misplay their own hand. Just focus on playing your best game and assign player types to each player like you would online. Like this college kid is a tag, this lady is a station, Grandpa Jones is a nit, etc. The one thing I do look for is when the cards are dealt & when the flop is dealt. People can't help but to look at their cards out of turn. You can sometimes get a clue whether or not someone is going to bet/raise/fold behind you by the way they react.
    Points Awarded:

SharpAngles gave daneblazer 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BiTeMe UsAdOj, and BeerDog99

stevek173

I like to know those tells in real life too to pursue my dream of personal girl on girl jello wrestling matches, but that's more of a business endeavor.

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

For the most part don't call. Raise or fold. Just toss small pairs in EP. Toss pretty much everything in EP unless you're going to 3bet a raise behind you.

That said haven't played poker since the 2012 (or 13 whenever it was) Vegas SBR bash so wtf do I know.

That is all.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

SharpAngles

Joe Navarro is a creepy guy. I've been to one of his presentations and he is scary good at reading body language and interpreting what he's seeing. Dude was mindf'king terrorists for a decade and russian spies before that so it makes sense he can do it, but unless someone has similar experience reading his first book is not going to give you more than a general idea of what to look for and damn sure can't really explain what you're seeing.

I have shaky hands and feet. Always have, don't know why, but there's always some anxious movement from me. I cannot tell you how many stupid calls I've gotten over the years then heard right after, "but his hand was shaking I was sure it was a bluff" These guys probably just read Novarros book and thought they were reading my soul, while I was just being my anxious self. I used to play with a guy that's favorite move was "jumping" slightly when a river hit, or a subtle "yeah" and its amazing how many dumfuks took the bait and folded to him.

Point of all that is, forget about nonsense like tells and focus on placing villains on a range based on how they've played hands and you'll be a better player.

SharpAngles

Just looked up old Joe to see what hes been up to poker wise and his latest work cracked me up!

Here is what poker players around the world have been waiting for. A follow up to the hugely successful “Read ‘em and Reap.” Joe Navarro brings us an incredible two hundred (200) of the most often observed tells in poker. This is a must for the amateur as well as the pro. Joe brings together his experience working with and analyzing poker players as only a world class observer could. This is an ideal and easy to read guide to poker tells. All meat no fluff, written exactly as poker players prefer, with easy to find information divided up by the parts of the body. This can be downloaded to your cell phone, iTouch, iPad or Kindle-enabled devices to use as a reference even while at play.

I cannot wait for someone to whip out their iphone and look up what tells I'm giving off! Jokes on that sorry soul because I'm memorizing all 200 of these gems

SharpAngles

Quote Originally Posted by tatddy View Post
    For the most part don't call. Raise or fold. Just toss small pairs in EP. Toss pretty much everything in EP unless you're going to 3bet a raise behind you.

That said haven't played poker since the 2012 (or 13 whenever it was) Vegas SBR bash so wtf do I know.

That is all.
    Sexy advice except I'd add calling with position against a player you want to play pots with is fine and I'd rather set mine than throw small pockets away early unless the table is aggro and there will be a raise.

EDIT:Should clarify I'm talking at least minimally deep cash games here. In tourneys the chips are too valuable to speculate imo. Your advice dead on for tourney play
    Last edited by SharpAngles; 03-30-15 at 06:08 PM.

Bigbill365
    Big Money Bettors
    Bigbill365's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1016

Best advice protect your hand dont let the othe fuker see a card for cheap make him pay EXAMPLE: you floped high pair say JJ dont bet a little just because that next card could be an ACE through in a pot size bet or more and take it down.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Need a poker 101 thread.

A place where I can come and post all the hands I play where somewhere abuses for dumb play

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    Sexy advice except I'd add calling with position against a player you want to play pots with is fine and I'd rather set mine than throw small pockets away early unless the table is aggro and there will be a raise.

EDIT:Should clarify I'm talking at least minimally deep cash games here. In tourneys the chips are too valuable to speculate imo. Your advice dead on for tourney play
    Well I guess I just assumed this was just for tourneys since Sin is mostly a tourney guy. And I'd hope we're not actually talking "SBR" tourneys or cash games because just throw all advice out the window for that shitt show.

That said I have played all of 2 live tourneys my entire life. Had some decent success back in the day on pokerstars tourneys but have always been more of a cash game player.

SharpAngles

Yeah I'm always thinking cash games but realized you were probably on tourney advice for sin, and nailed it btw.

And again you're right that most poker strat is basically useless here at the SBR dailies. Way more simple push/fold than real strategy.

sinmiedo

yes, i m mostly a tournament player, and use different strategists, depending of the table composition, and the range some guys may use to play with,
    In cash games is my pending assignment, still a brake even player at best, and i prefer PLO or any 6 handed nlh but no more than 2 tables while playing some long tournament or sng, but , when i start getting close to the money or final table, i focus 100% in the tournament. I found that cash games to slow and frustrating, probably because i m a weak player, when in tournaments i know what to do in every situation.
    Tattdy knows my play very well, and i really need advice from him and Bite or TripD Zacarias or hockey, i really enjoy playing with them and i wish one day think the way they do in a cash game.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Didn't take long for this one to die...

sinmiedo

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Didn't take long for this one to die...
    thank you for the bump up. i ll post some more videos of interest, looks like guys are more comfortable discussing some strategies after seen the action.
    thank you again dane

aggieshawn
    SBR youtube Channels
    aggieshawn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1634

Question,,,, How do you play against people drinking and playing poker.?

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Someone brought up books and I will repeat the key points of what I said -

Sklansky first
    Then Harrington
    Then the books for internet players written by Apestyles, Pearljammer and those guys
    Then watch the smurfs, one episode, on repeat with the sound off through a wicker chair on your knees
    Then study Annie Duke - her FBI tells are on point
    Then eat a snowcone
    Then play with a lion
    Then fight a baboon, make sure to lose you don't want to piss off the other ones then they'll leave you alone
    Then play a lot of poker
    annie duke's fbi tells are from navarro..... i pretty much owe him my first big wsop cash..... employed the knowledge i learned from him in a wsop academy class i won online, and took down 8k in a chop at the Rio the following night.......... nice thing is, live, my arsenal of "reverse tells" is a money producing lot

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by aggieshawn View Post
    Question,,,, How do you play against people drinking and playing poker.?
    Assuming you aren't playing drunk Phil Ivey... Generally Bet more with strong hands, bluff less. You still need to categorize players as usual. Like this guy is loose but likes to call...rarely bets unless he has something...but this guy is aggro and make bad bluffs. People react differently when they're drinking but most make worse decisions than they would if they were sober. That said, a good drunk player can be tougher to play against than a sober bad player. That's why you still need to label your opponents.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Auto Donk