TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Daniel Colman 15 million poker tournament winner

You may not have heard this guy's explanation for giving no interviews, and there's a reason

Here it is:

I really don't owe anyone an explanation but Ill give one...

First off, I don't owe poker a single thing. I've been fortunate enough to benefit financially from this game, but I have played it long enough to see the ugly side of this world. It is not a game where the pros are always happy and living a fulfilling life. To have a job where you are at the mercy of variance can be insanely stressful and can lead to a lot of unhealthy habits. I would never in a million years recommend for someone to try and make it as a poker pro.

It is also not a game where the amateurs are always happy to be losing their money for the sake of entertainment. The losers lose way more money at this game then winners are winning. A lot of this is money they cant afford to lose. This is fine of course because if someone is dumb enough to gamble with money they cant afford to lose, that's their problem. Im not really buying that though. In a perfect world, markets are based on informed consumers making rational transactions. In reality sadly that's not the case, markets are based on advertising trying to play on peoples impulses and targeting their weaknesses in order for them to make irrational decisions. I get it if someone wants to go and play poker on their own free will, but I don't agree with gambling being advertised just like I don't agree with cigarettes and alcohol being advertised.

It bothers me that people care so much about poker's well being. As poker is a game that has such a net negative effect on the people playing it. Both financially and emotionally.

As for promoting myself, I feel that individual achievements should rarely be celebrated. I am not going to take part in it for others and I wouldn't want it for myself. If you wonder why our society is so infatuated by individuals and their success, and being a baller, it is not that way for no reason. It is their because it serves a clear purpose. If you get people to look up to someone and adhere to the "gain wealth, forget all but self" motto, then you can get them to ignore the social contract which is very good for power systems. Also it serves as a means of distraction to get people to not pay attention to the things that do matter.

These are just my personal views. And yes, I realize I am conflicted. I capitalize off this game that targets peoples weaknesses. I do enjoy it, I love the strategy part of it, but I do see it as a very dark game.

Happy to read any ones opinions that could convince me otherwise of my views.

I love that this guy refuses to sell out. I'm sure there was a lot of money in publicity or advertising from this, and he only got a small portion of the winnings because he was staked, but right or wrong he made a stance for what he believed in. It's also nice to see someone tell ESPN to stick it!

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

He was staked?
    If so, what percentage? Is it usually 50/50 for payout?

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Good for him....hard to argue his points

I know for one if I were ever fortunate enough to win one of these big tournaments, I would not want to be all over everything and at every poker event......Would rather be enjoying the winnings with friends and family and basically to not be bothered doing what I want to do

Guinser
    Guinser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

The guy is a tremendous douchebag. Talked so much shit online and thinks he's the worlds greatest and now tries coming off as high and mighty. Sure..

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

lol donate your money to charity then brah

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Djohns04
    Djohns04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 184

Quote Originally Posted by eidolon View Post
    He was staked?
    If so, what percentage? Is it usually 50/50 for payout?
    It was 90/10 in favour of the backers from what i've read

Djohns04
    Djohns04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 184

Centy I agree if he's being honest and true to himself than good on him. There's a part of me though that thinks he thought it would be really badass to just ship the $15 mil and peace out with no interviews, no hoopla, no Esfandiari style being hoisted like a trophy. Just act like it was no biggie. Then most of the poker community are outraged shocked etc and he needs to come up with a reason.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Guinser

spider
    spider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 46953

I wonder if he said the same things to his backers before they staked him.

bettingstation
    bettingstation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1201

wow... i hope someone stake me that big tourney...

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Quote Originally Posted by bettingstation View Post
    wow... i hope someone stake me that big tourney...
    Talk to this guy.

Name:  m.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  101.4 KB

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

guy is a fukkin jerkoff

lol..he will be broke in 3 years and begging for advertising ads

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    guy is a fukkin jerkoff

lol..he will be broke in 3 years and begging for advertising ads

A la Jared

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by Guinser View Post
    The guy is a tremendous douchebag. Talked so much shit online and thinks he's the worlds greatest and now tries coming off as high and mighty. Sure..
    Admittedly I don't know what all he has said and done, but seems like a talented, objective, humble guy in this interview:
    http://www.husng.com/content/intervi...ion-pokerstars

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I really don't owe anyone an explanation... but let me get on my fukkin soap box ....
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Auto Donk

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    I really don't owe anyone an explanation... but let me get on my fukkin soap box ....
    my thoughts exactly..... along with a comment by him, "hey, are those cameras running???"

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    I took that as him saying he doesn't answer to ESPN and the gambling industry which is a position I like

Yeah it's possible he was being a dick I guess

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

ESPN is one of the reasons the prize for this tournament is 15 mil and one of the reasons anyone gives a shit he won a poker tournament. If he doesn't want much attention, that's his thing, but he sounds like a pompous ingrate.

Triple_D_Bet
    Triple_D_Bet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 219

Sounds like a bit of a prick, another person who believes that when people make poor decisions it's not their fault, it's the fault of whatever activity happened to be used to make the poor decision. Wonder if this jackass realizes he has the exact same "blame-the-evil-companies-not-the-irresponsible-player" mentality so many ignorant politicians and activists have, leading to a shitty poker market in US?

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

There is some validity to what he's saying, but arguing that poker in and of itself has "such a net negative effect on the people playing" is a huge overstatement. Sure this is probably true for many of those who are trying to grind out just enough winnings to get by, but for those who treat it as entertainment or diversion and who can afford to lose it's no worse than anything else.

Guinser
    Guinser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    Admittedly I don't know what all he has said and done, but seems like a talented, objective, humble guy in this interview:
    http://www.husng.com/content/intervi...ion-pokerstars
    Naturally when giving an interview he will say the right things. Clearly a great player but he's a cocky douche online

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

This is old news.

The tournament ended about a month ago.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This is old news.

The tournament ended about a month ago.
    I know but it was just televised last night and no one mentioned it on here before I don't think

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Poker popularity has really dissipated the last three years and will continue to dissipate

It's back to cult type sport in USA

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

And not a single emotion was given that day.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Poker popularity has really dissipated the last three years and will continue to dissipate

It's back to cult type sport in USA
    JJ, if sports gambling and poker were both suddenly legalized across the states, which do you think would be more popular?

Kaabee
    Kaabee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

i can tell you one thing: i'd rather watch paint dry than hang out with this guy.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Guy is probably salty that after paying his backers and taxes he still can't buy himself in to next year's tourney. Waaaah wahhhh what a pompous dick head.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

Gambling addiction is similar to drug addiction. He's somewhat right.

Triple_D_Bet
    Triple_D_Bet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 219

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    Gambling addiction is similar to drug addiction. He's somewhat right.
    Addiction is addiction, but he goes way beyond the bounds of reason. How difficult a person finds restraining themselves to be will vary, but at no point on the spectrum is it not their responsibility, and at no time is it the fault of the people/companies offering the service/product a person is addicted to. If Pokerstars forcibly transfers a gambling addict's paycheck to a poker account, maybe there's an argument there...but general advertising, promotions, or the existence of the service isn't something they should be held liable for just because some people can't control themselves. Comparing it to the previously deceptive cigarette marketing (where they knew it was harmful to everyone and presented it as harmless) is a gross misrepresentation.

Similarly, his contempt for individual achievements strikes me as not only hypocritical in an individual competition like poker, but just dumb. Celebrations of individual achievements isn't harmful or contributing to any "power structure"; it's recognition that someone has achieved something impressive, either relatively or absolutely, and can be a big part of giving people goals, confidence, etc. To claim they should rarely be celebrated is to be ignorant of basic mechanics of how people work. Blaming it for distracting people from more important issues is also foolish; are youtube cat videos, fail videos, music videos, etc. also something that should be rarely seen according to him, for fear of "distracting" us with the entertainment?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Djohns04, and Guinser