4 66.67%
  • Call

2 33.33%
    daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Hand of the Day 04/25

Hero & Villain are good friends who thought it'd be fun to enter a $100 Six player winner take all sit and go. With 4 players left, they end up in a hand against each other. There are no splits, they are playing for each others money.

Starting stacks were 10,000 with moderate blind structure. Blinds 150/300 Hero raised 700 UTG with AdJc. Villain in the SB makes it 1850 to go. BB folds.

What is hero's play?

Hero Stack 15,000
    Villain Stack 12,500
    Pot 3,000

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

Well I guess it depends on how the friend thinks the villian plays. I have a couple of good friends that I would shove on this situation because I know he tries to "out-play" me.

But for most of my poker playing friends, I would assume they are playing pretty solid and not 3-betting me light so I would pick a better spot with AJos and not try to flip against my friend for the tourney.

Gruntworker
    Gruntworker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3899

Depends completely on your read of your friend. If it's your friend, you know how he/she plays. Could be an easy laydown or a smooth call. I wouldn't shove here b/c the possibility that he/she just woke up with a monster and is trying to let you off easy by 3 betting.

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

Ya, I guess even with a maniac friend, they could wake up with a monster and that would suck for either friend. I think it is a fold either way now. Just slap your friend later if he was making a move on you :-)

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Quote Originally Posted by BeerDog99 View Post
    Well I guess it depends on how the friend thinks the villian plays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntworker View Post
    Depends completely on your read of your friend. If it's your friend, you know how he/she plays.
    ... AND, Hero has to take into account how he thinks his friend thinks HE plays (Can Hero determine that villain thinks it's relatively easy to move him off hands?)

Quote Originally Posted by BeerDog99 View Post
    Just slap your friend later if he was making a move on you :-)
    Um... ah... well... NEVERMIND!

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Out of 739 votes-

17.2% Raise
    48.4% fold
    34.4% call

In a faster blind structure, it may be time to take a stand here, but there is plenty of chips and time to wait for a better spot. There's a few hands that could be dominating hero such as AQ AK. Fold is the play here, unless the villain respects the hero's 4bet's a little too much.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Out of 739 votes-

17.2% Raise
    48.4% fold
    34.4% call

In a faster blind structure, it may be time to take a stand here, but there is plenty of chips and time to wait for a better spot. There's a few hands that could be dominating hero such as AQ AK. Fold is the play here, unless the villain respects the hero's 4bet's a little too much.
    What does the last part mean?

ronzer
    the search for bigfoot continues
    ronzer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 163

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    if he respected his bet wouldn't he fold?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    If the villain is the type to only call a 4bet shove/raise with a premium hand like KK-AA and fold everything else then hero can consider a raise. A 4bet would potentially fold out much of villains 3bet range.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

this is read dependent dont agree with this answer really, i could think of players i would do each option against, just saying fold is really nitty, if he folds aj to a 3bet preflop 4 handed then why wouldnt you just keep pressuring him?

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    this is read dependent dont agree with this answer really, i could think of players i would do each option against, just saying fold is really nitty, if he folds aj to a 3bet preflop 4 handed then why wouldnt you just keep pressuring him?
    Nice response.

And why just b/c 48.4% say fold it's deemed the "right" answer (it is if you throw the read dependent variable out the window for shits & giggles to get to an answer)