TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

redirected from Think Tank

*Think Tank

Posted this in Players Talk but have encountered a lot of animosity or misunderstanding of the situation.

If a final table is 3 handed and they are as follows:

Button:Ad10s 14k in chips
    Small Blind:AcKc 155k
    Big Blind:8h8d 77k

All players go all in. What is the probability that the big blind (8h,8d) is knocked out of the tournament in 3rd on this hand?

brettd
    brettd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

Why don't you post this at 2+2

NoHero
    NoHero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 536

I like waffles.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by brettd View Post
    Why don't you post this at 2+2
    I did no one knows so far

hobbesITD
    hobbesITD's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just got up and this is probably wrong but I think ~11.9%. Basically an Ace or 4/5 cards are K,Q,J,10.

e: Nope, still have to exclude probability of a flush. You're asking how often button survives but BB is knocked out, right?

vvv: Yeah, nevermind. I'll get some coffee and maybe look at this later.
    Last edited by hobbesITD; 03-24-13 at 03:03 PM.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by hobbesITD View Post
    Just got up and this is probably wrong but I think ~11.9%. Basically an Ace or 4/5 cards are K,Q,J,10.
    An Ace doesn't do it because then AK wins the whole pot and I go out in 2nd.

Really the only way this happens is A10 gets a two pair or full house while AK pairs his Ace, a flush made for A10 offsuit's hand but an A or K with no 8 for big stack to beat my 88s, a straight for A10 with a pair of Aces or Kings with no 8 to beat my 8s, or tying straights against my 88s

Oh and trip 10s with a K on board

Just trying to figure out what the probability of this is

Kaabee
    Kaabee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    An Ace doesn't do it because then AK wins the whole pot and I go out in 2nd.

Really the only way this happens is A10 gets a two pair or full house while AK pairs his Ace, a flush made for A10 offsuit's hand but an A or K with no 8 for big stack to beat my 88s, a straight for A10 with a pair of Aces or Kings with no 8 to beat my 8s, or tying straights against my 88s

Just trying to figure out what the probability of this is
    there are other ways too. Two pair on board greater than 8's. Trips on board with an ace. Quads on board.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by Kaabee View Post
    there are other ways too. Two pair on board greater than 8's. Trips on board with an ace. Quads on board.
    True

TheCentaur

The two pair on board would have to be some combo of 9s,Js, or Qs though

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

These sort of 'omg look at what a bad beat it was based on the math' questions make us feel better, but they do nothing to improve your game. Your time is better spent elsewhere.

TheCentaur

Bonus question:

Which is more of a long shot?

My tournament ending on that hand in 3rd place

or

NunyaBidness offering any type of relevant or helpful reply?

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

If you don't see that my reply is the most helpful one then you've got a long way to go.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: WendysRox

TheCentaur

If you don't think mathematical analysis of poker hands is an important part of the game then you should stay in the MMA subforum you think you own

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

I've played poker professionally for over 10 years. Mathematical analysis is important in poker.

If you think knowing what percentage of the time you get bad beated here is considered any sort of mathematical analysis, you're a clown.

Start analyzing 0,1 games if you're interested in the 'mathematical anlysis of poker hands.'

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Not to mention, Math-guy, your original question is UNANSWERABLE without a few more significant pieces of information.

And even then, your questions improves from unanswerable to worthless.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    I've played poker professionally for over 10 years.
    And been a prick your whole life no doubt.

It's obvious what is going on here. You don't know how to calculate the answer so you determine it is unimportant. If you could easily answer the question, you would have answered it and scolded me for posting such a simple question.

Pray tell what is the missing info that you need? If it is some stupid argumentative crap like are there rebuys or what if the blinds are 50k/100k just keep it to yourself.
    Last edited by TheCentaur; 03-24-13 at 07:32 PM.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Definitely been a prick my whole life.

Have fun with these day 1 questions.

When you're ready for it, pick up The Mathematics of Poker by Bill Chen. When you don't understand a word of it, I'm sure amazon will take a return.

Good luck with your 'mathematical analysis of poker' though.

TheCentaur

Definitely been a prick my whole life.

Have fun with these day 1 questions.

When you're ready for it, pick up The Mathematics of Poker by Bill Chen. When you don't understand a word of it, I'm sure amazon will take a return.

Good luck with your 'mathematical analysis of poker' though.
    Still have no answer and can think of no missing relevant info huh?

So your bs and self burial continues...

Kaabee
    Kaabee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

what is this mysterious missing information?

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by Kaabee View Post
    what is this mysterious missing information?
    He doesn't know or he would have said by now

TheCentaur

Nevermind I got it

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

All you need to do is write a 3 handed monte carlo simulation, specifying outputs of where C > B and A. If this was a useful thing to know, why wouldn't it be included in pokerstove, or twodimes.net, or any of the other standard hand comparison utilities?

Furthermore, all edge in poker comes from people making mistakes. Assuming standard late tournament blinds here, no one made a mistake if the action went shove, shove, call. If no one made a mistake, then there is no edge to be gained, so what is the point of the analysis?

There isn't one, except for you to whine, "oh man, look at this bad beat." Bet it was a penetrating freeroll too.

TheCentaur

All you need to do is write a 3 handed monte carlo simulation, specifying outputs of where C > B and A. If this was a useful thing to know, why wouldn't it be included in pokerstove, or twodimes.net, or any of the other standard hand comparison utilities?

Furthermore, all edge in poker comes from people making mistakes. Assuming standard late tournament blinds here, no one made a mistake if the action went shove, shove, call. If no one made a mistake, then there is no edge to be gained, so what is the point of the analysis?

There isn't one, except for you to whine, "oh man, look at this bad beat." Bet it was a penetrating freeroll too.
    You took the trouble to research what you didn't know, come back later and write how simple it was, write more scathing remarks about my stupidity and ignorance, and you are still way off!

The actual equation would be:

Ad10s >= AcKc > 8h8d

Maybe just stay out of it next time if you don't know the answer and only want to criticize
    Last edited by TheCentaur; 03-25-13 at 09:02 PM.

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

"An Ace doesn't do it because then AK wins the whole pot and I go out in 2nd.

Just trying to figure out what the probability of this is"

For the first part (A10 gets a two pair or full house while AK pairs his Ace), that is like the probabilty of make a set (3rd Ace showing up but no 3rd 8) * probabilty of 10 showing up with no King or 8, which should be around 1/5 *1/8 , so about 2.5% for just that to occur, I'd say the other possibilities probably add up to less than 2%, maybe you were around 22 to 25-1 to get knocked out in 3rd place is my best guess.
    Last edited by Art Vandeleigh; 03-26-13 at 01:00 PM.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

You should continue to let your bruised ego to get in the way of growth.

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Using Pokerstove

20.732% of the time, Small Blind wins or ties with the other player for the pot, and knocks out Big Blind.

(Why write a Monte Carlo simulation for poker hands when one is already out there?)

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
    Using Pokerstove

20.732% of the time, Small Blind wins or ties with the other player for the pot, and knocks out Big Blind.
    No it needs to be the button wins or ties with the other player and knocks out big blind. The program I used came up with ~ 7%

Quote Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post

(Why write a Monte Carlo simulation for poker hands when one is already out there?)
    He doesn't know. Just ignore him and maybe he will go away

OMGRandyJackson
    OMGRandyJackson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4054

How did the actual hand play out? It has nothing to do with your question, Im just curious, who shoved first etc.

Im guessing button shoves, SB calls, then you reshove?

And what were blinds?

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by OMGRandyJackson View Post
    How did the actual hand play out? It has nothing to do with your question, Im just curious, who shoved first etc.

Im guessing button shoves, SB calls, then you reshove?

And what were blinds?
    Right button shoves, sb shoves all in, I call. Flop is A and 10s with club draw two pair holds up.

Blinds were 4/8k

OMGRandyJackson
    OMGRandyJackson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4054

Why not fold?

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by OMGRandyJackson View Post
    Why not fold?
    Yeah I know, may not have been the correct decision.

Based on the payout structure there wasn't a huge difference between the places. I felt it was my best chance to recover a chip lead to try to win or at least finish second.

I thought the situation was either what it was, two high card hands with the chip leader having the dominant high hand, or button had an ace and leader had a high pp, so I wanted the button to have to fade 4 outs for a set if he hit his ace.

You are right though, maybe should have folded

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Before the hand the 14k stack is going to place 3rd about 80% of the time. 77k places 2nd a little over half the time. AT is about a 5/25 dog to win the hand against both hands and 88 is like a 13/25 fave to beat AK. 88 is an overall underdog in the hand. Overpairs are in their range and hands 88 dominate probably are too esp the 14k stack, but there's probably more that hurt 88 than help and you have zero fold equity. The SS winning isn't going to happen very often...if you take anything out of this experience, in my opinion it's that folding here is the correct play. Haven't had my coffee yet so Im not in a math mood.

TheCentaur

The problem isn't that the shortstack won, its that ss beat the bigstack, but the big stack still beat me. That's why this situation is so unusual

bingley
    bingley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 248

position, stack, blinds, etc don't change the cards so why would it be so unusual?

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by bingley View Post
    position, stack, blinds, etc don't change the cards so why would it be so unusual?
    stack size has a lot to do with it

The combination of stack sizes along with the cards they held made it an unusual way to get knocked out. I've played a good bit of poker and can't remember it happening.

12 Last