daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

When you are on a losing streak in poker/betting...

Are you able to identify what the reasons are for your losses or do you shrug them off as variance?

I think this is a weakness in several players/bettors. We are too quick to shrug our failures off and blame them as "variance". It's much easier to do that than work on your game.

Agree? Disagree

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 316

I have won while I was ahead and won while I was behind and lost while I was ahead. Do I blame the software? My thinking is that the hands are already predetermined by the software before they are dealt. The software is going to spit out pairs, trips, straights, flushes, boats to different players on the same round. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. The way you wage though has a lot to do with whether you win or lose. Most players I noticed don't wager enough when they are ahead allowing players with weak hands to catch a good hand on the turn or the river.

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

agree. I find myself getting bored at the tables and forcing during long sessions

Conan
    Conan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 818

Having recently gone through a low swing i know i was being critical of my play as it was happening and the "bad run" got me making bad plays out of frustration. but i hung in there and tried to correct my mistakes and worked through it.

ArchieBunker
    ArchieBunker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11356

When I go on a losing run I change sites have the option with different sites Partypoker,888,PKR,Full Tilt,Merge sites but Iron D

ArchieBunker
    ArchieBunker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11356

888 and PKR donk heaven

ballahollic2
    Update your status
    ballahollic2's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10704

I think the easiest thing to do is blame any failure on variance. In some cases it may be true but everyone has flaws in their game and are probably 2 lazy to try and fix them. I know that is the case for myself when playing live. Every time you play is different and the flow of the game will be slightly different when new players come and go. Being able to adjust and fix mistakes is a major mistake that not many people can do as well as they should.

Mitchell88
    Mitchell88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

variance is bullshit here so are we talking about live or at a legit site?

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7236

Poker- it depends why you are losing. If you make bad decisions, and lose because of them, then work on your game. You can go through your hand histories and figure it out. It isn't bad to shrug off variance if it is variance.

Sports betting- Without a large sample size, it is impossible to know if you are making mathematically incorrect bets, unless your losing because your betting 6 team parlays. You would have to lose for an extended amount of time to know if your losing because of anything besides variance.