thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

interesting spot at 50/100 level of 500 tournament 1/26/13

was playin a live tournament saturday and this hand "supposedly" came up on the 2nd level.

we are playing pretty deep starting with 30k chips and blinds of 25/50.

guy in the cutoff raises to 250, button calls, old lady known for overbetting (already opened to 2500 preflop at this very level) calls, i was big blind and folded (had like 49 offsuit or something awful).

anyways flop was qj2 rainbow and she bets 2500 right into him. younger guy in cutoff starts open contemplating what to do and disgustedly mucks and button quickly folds.

after the button folds, guy in cutoff says he had aces (not sure i believe him) what would you guys have done?

everyone in the hand had basically 30000 still, maybe 1000 up or down from each of the 3 players.

robert_wrath
    Update your status
    robert_wrath's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1359

Easy fold in this position. Level 2 shouldn't be played too hard.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

500 players in the tournament?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

i think the correct thing to do there is fold. you feel like a giant nit bag, but he made the right move that early and deep in the tournament.

Also Depends on if old lady over bets when she hits or if she'll do it with air
    Last edited by daneblazer; 01-28-13 at 10:12 PM.

Jeffie
    Jeffie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1163

I agree folding is the right play, its way to early in the tourney. I bet if he flat calls the 2500 on flop the lady would slow down and check turn. You would have to think Your AA is good after that flop, but its just way to early to committ your stack.

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

I would have popped that b*Tch to 12k.. he wins when she folds. easy raises

you guys are nits

robert_wrath
    Update your status
    robert_wrath's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1359

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeem5 View Post

you guys are nits
    Think again.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeem5 View Post

you guys are nits
    I agree with Deem.

The old lady has already proven to be clueless the way she opened with 2500. I'm willing to gamble she has one pair in this spot, or maybe a draw (K-10, 9-10, etc.).

Let's bury this old bat with our rockets.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

dane, the buy in was 500, there was like 67 players i think.

anyways, i know hes played this lady a lot and i have too, she pretty much has a set of 2s qj or qx, never a draw.

personally, i think he has plenty of chips to make a minraise or just over one (like 6k max). deems raise is way too big IMO, you can find out what you need to know way cheaper.
    this is way too early to go broke with just aces, but im 100% sure shell go all in if she gets raised and has aa beat. if she has just the queen then shell just call or maybe even fold if its like q8 or q9. if its a tricky turn like a king or 10 id be inclined to just check even if she checks. the best part is if she shoves into the turn on you, you can get away from the hand easily, because she never bluffs.

the reason i dont like flat calling is that you really learn nothing. the turn bet will be huge if its a brick card and you will know nothing more about her hand.

the lady ended up showing qk on the hand, thats when he said he had aces, im not sure i even believe him anyways, but maybe he did since a lot of guys leaned to folding here.

ive seen this lady go deep into tournaments a lot because it seems like players give her hands like this constantly. she always ends up running into a set on the flop or aa preflop, but you can still get value out of the borderline hands against her IMO, if she comes over the top of the raise you still have 24-25kish at the 50 100 level, plenty of chips to do damage.
    Last edited by thetrinity; 01-29-13 at 08:52 AM.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

If you don't have any history against her, you either lay it down or reraise her like you said 5-6k and proceed from there. Most people lay it down because it looks like a fish spaz bet and it's unconventional. This probably doesn't work out for her in the long run in the early levels because she's scaring all of the weaker/maringal hands away and will usually only get played back at with things like 2p, sets, and KK-AA. It's just not profitable to play mariginal hands for big pots that early in the tournament. As the levels move up, it probably works a little better for her because she's taking down bigger pots and people are forced to make moves with those marginal hands when she has a monster. The thing about overbettors and maniacs is that they are so aggressive they accidently begin making good plays as the tournament goes on.

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    If you don't have any history against her, you either lay it down or reraise her like you said 5-6k and proceed from there. Most people lay it down because it looks like a fish spaz bet and it's unconventional. This probably doesn't work out for her in the long run in the early levels because she's scaring all of the weaker/maringal hands away and will usually only get played back at with things like 2p, sets, and KK-AA. It's just not profitable to play mariginal hands for big pots that early in the tournament. As the levels move up, it probably works a little better for her because she's taking down bigger pots and people are forced to make moves with those marginal hands when she has a monster. The thing about overbettors and maniacs is that they are so aggressive they accidently begin making good plays as the tournament goes on.
    This is one of my personal pet peeves on tourneys, you see the "fish spaz" plays work early in the tourney and they do not realize that it is -EV, then later in the tourney they continue the spazzy plays and the deck seems to hit them in the forehead constantly.

There are a number of these players very regularly in the SBR tourneys....

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    was playin a live tournament saturday and this hand "supposedly" came up on the 2nd level.

we are playing pretty deep starting with 30k chips and blinds of 25/50.

guy in the cutoff raises to 250, button calls, old lady known for overbetting (already opened to 2500 preflop at this very level) calls, i was big blind and folded (had like 49 offsuit or something awful).

anyways flop was qj2 rainbow and she bets 2500 right into him. younger guy in cutoff starts open contemplating what to do and disgustedly mucks and button quickly folds.

after the button folds, guy in cutoff says he had aces (not sure i believe him) what would you guys have done?

everyone in the hand had basically 30000 still, maybe 1000 up or down from each of the 3 players.
    2 plays for me in this situtation:

1.) Fold

2.) Come back over the top of the old crow to see where Im at

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

its raise>fold>call IMO.

its awfully snug play just to fold IMO, and this player has enough history against her (small room ive seen them both multiple times) to know that she doesnt have to have more then top pair here.

my biggest argument for raising is that she was going to go allin if she did have a bigger hand then aces, and call or fold a worse one, she wasnt gona suddenly get tricky with top 2 or bottom set and just smooth call.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    i wouldnt even say this lady is aggressive, she just wont let worse hands get there against her, even if that means overplaying completely marginal ones (sometimes making slightly better ones fold).

the hand i was talking about earlier in the thread where she made it 2500, she was under the gun and claimed to have jj, i had ak in utg+1 and folded, same guy who had aces supposedly had ak in the small blind in that hand as well, i dont necessarily believe him, seemed like he always had the near nuts from what he said.

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

You do not call.

You raise.

She isn't leading out with a set or top 2. She has q10 or junk...

Fukking bury her and she won't over bet again

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

You are 300bb deep and you want to play a huge pot with an overpair on a QJ2 rainbow? And what is the point of raising if you are going to fold to a reshove? She will never reshove with AQ, KK, KT, etc. here? Invest 20% of your stack to see where you are at? LOL, wtf. And what is with all these certainties about how she plays from everybody. Most of those that say she doesn't have that strong of a hand want to raise her out. WHY????? If you are certain she has QT, Q9, Q8 on QJ2 and she already came out barrelling 25bb's on the flop, what is the reason to raise and get her to fold? Screw that. If she hits her miracle five outer on the turn, then god bless her, but I'm calling her bet if I KNOW FOR A FACT she only has a queen and letting her barrel off and pot commit herself on the turn when I shove then. For me,

FOLD (by far best option, 300bb deep, much better spots to get your money in against droolers) > CALL (terrible but gives you many more options in position) > RAISE (Haven't read one good reason why we should raise here)
    Last edited by moses millsap; 01-30-13 at 04:50 PM. Reason: misread blind level as 25/50