Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

Pro poker players really not that much different than sports touts

I don't think there really are that many that win enough to make a living from it. Just about everyone of these guys does a bunch of shit on the side, like write articles for magazines, have some online expert advice site, hope to hook up with one of the big poker sites and wear patch for money. Even Jen Harmon of on some TV show doing a Vegas living thing.

If they win so much money playing poker why do they have to do all this other stuff?

Then you go look at these so called Pro poker players results at the WSOP events and 99% of them are down and down a sizable amount.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

of course they are going to take free money if its handed to them. since they dont have a real job, most of these players have a ton of free time to write articles and shit like that anyways. the tournaments are tough because we never know how much they have of themselves and what not.

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

A lot of these guys are degenerates and may hit for a decent amount of money, then blow it within the month, between cash games, craps, sports whatever.

Some are heavily staked, so money can be going out as soon as they win something.

Marriage/girlfriends, lifestyle next thing you know all your money is gone.

andyjc712
    andyjc712's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1149

ask imightbluff, he is the new resident expert that has won thousands of dollars yet has retired from pro poker to grind betpoints

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Quote Originally Posted by andyjc712 View Post
    ask imightbluff, he is the new resident expert that has won thousands of dollars yet has retired from pro poker to grind betpoints

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Quote Originally Posted by andyjc712 View Post

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BiTeMe UsAdOj

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    I don't think there really are that many that win enough to make a living from it. Just about everyone of these guys does a bunch of shit on the side, like write articles for magazines, have some online expert advice site, hope to hook up with one of the big poker sites and wear patch for money. Even Jen Harmon of on some TV show doing a Vegas living thing.

If they win so much money playing poker why do they have to do all this other stuff?

Then you go look at these so called Pro poker players results at the WSOP events and 99% of them are down and down a sizable amount.
    You're confusing Name Poker Players with Pro Poker Players. Most of the poker pros that are out there you've never heard of. And we love to see Name Poker Players come to our table.

YouMama
    Losers Lose
    YouMama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

I read a quote from... alan boston i think... he basically said, the difference between a poker amature and a pro was getting lucky in a big tournament... I agree with that

its gambling, so u have to have a bankroll/capital... that has to come from somewhere.

if you own a home, come from a family w a little bit of money, and make money blogging and playing poker... or you won a 6 figure tourney, bought a house, invest and play poker... both are what I would consider a "poker pro"

noone ever started w a 1k bankroll, played poker, lived off it and never did anything else for anymore money ever again... thats impossible