SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Heads up poker tourney feedback

Did you guys have fun? Should we do it again??

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

Fun but apparently there were stack issues

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I thought it was something fun and different. We have to fix the structure though. As it stands, once two players win, they are sent away to another match immediately. Normally, an entire round is finished before the winners are matched up against each other.

What happened Sunday was if one player happened to win two games in a row quickly and another grinded out a victory, they were matched up against each other if the game ended close to the same time. So we could have had a 9000 chip stack vs. a 3000 chip stack.

EZMoney and I played for over 30 minutes. If we were in cahoots, we could have easily just folded our way back and forth to claim 3rd, 4th, or even 2nd place. Heck, when we started there were 30 players left and by the time our match was over I believe there were only 5 or 6.

So we definitely need to find a way that every round can begin at the same time, and that both players begin each round with equal chip stacks. Because of the possibility an of odd number of players, some players could randomly receive a bye in the early rounds. Which is fine...I'm not sure there's any way around that.
    Points Awarded:

SBR Lou gave daneblazer 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ttwarrior1

no1here
    no1here's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6547

funny things happened, fix first please

SBR Lou

Thanks for the feedback guys. It was a trial run.

We'll see what can be adjusted going forward.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

If you wait for each match to finish then you theoretically could take up whole day playing event.

Also the event would have exactly 32 players anything less or more would create situations where some players would have to advance without playing a match.

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

was a great first round that's for sure, lol

would like to see another one lou

SBR Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    If you wait for each match to finish then you theoretically could take up whole day playing event.
    I believe that's how Poker Stars does it. Think of it like a bracket tourney. Will be exciting having everyone railbird the remaining table. =)

Also the event would have exactly 32 players anything less or more would create situations where some players would have to advance without playing a match.
    Phase 2 of Heads Up will force an even # of entrants to eliminate "round 1 byes" ..... but there's no way to eliminate byes entirely. Think of it this way, 10 players start at 5 tables, at the conclusion of round 1, there are 5 players. While it may be "unfair" to progress a round without playing, that user will have a 2:1 chip disadvantage. Overall, a fair trade-off & we'll ensure the same user doesn't receive a bye twice.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9978

I didn't play but would have had I had Power!! Any chance to time limit rounds so it doesn't take all day?? Say 30 mins per game. Leader at end of time advances albeit with short stack. That is penalty for not winning outright?

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lou put all the byes in the first round if possible, that's usually how it's done. If 33 people enter just as an example you would have only one game going on in the start and everyone else would get a bye. Makes things less complicated as the tourney goes. Also usually the blinds are reset after each round and adjusted to stack or your stack resets and the blinds just reset. That way everyone has the same chips and the blinds are the same proportionally to your stack each round.
    Last edited by Kaladarus; 07-02-12 at 02:52 PM.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Turbo blinds would be the only way to do this if restructured.

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

wal66
    wal66's Avatar Become A Pro!

I didn't play due to golf event but it sounds like you accumulated chips to take forward. If you are wanting to keep the game moving along and want to avoid the serious stack issues why wouldn't you simply reset the starting chips for every match?

While that would prevent the example given of one guy with 9000 playing a new match against a guy with only 3000 chips it would do nothing for a couple of guys colluding and folding back and forth in order to advance.

SBR Lou

Thanks for the feedback. The cat can be skinned a few ways but either way Heads Up Poker tourneys may be a staple of SBR Poker in 2013, if not sooner.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Lou is good peoples!