Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15313

Getting myself in some sticky spots when playing short

Usually I like to buy into the 1/2NL games with 150. Say I lose some hands and get down to around 100 it really limits what you can do.

Calling raises with 78s is stupid or trying to set mine when someone makes a big preflop raise is also stupid.

Then spots where bluffing usually works (like when middle card pairs or you're drawing to str8 and flush card comes) people say fuk it he only has 100 left i'm going all in.

Then they can just blow you off draws because they can never get hurt that bad if you have monster.

I always seem to play better when I have a lot of chips because players just can't push you around if they are also deep. Take for example last night have Ad3d and flop comes QdJd9s I lead out and bet this flop into a big field. Then 8d come on turn I bet again two guys call. River is blank and I make a huge bet and one guy calls while other guys says he has top two and knows it's no good. If I would have only had 100 left the toptwo guy could have just blown me off my hand. Since I had a lot of chips and he was deep he had proceed more carefully.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Playing short stacked 1/2 is never profitable for me, I always buy in for the max but 1/2 in general isn't a profitable game IMO. I don't understand why people don't just play 2/5 but to each their own. You get a big hand in 1/2, you're either taking down the $3 or getting a bunch of callers and losing unless you smash the flop. In 2/5 you get AA or KK, you can raise to a point where you'll get 1, maybe 2 callers and actually have a chance of profiting on a big pre-flop hand. 1/2 just nickle and dimes you, like you said by calling raises pre-flop with suited connectors and small pairs, most of the time you miss and have to fold so eventually you're short and have to shove then rebuy once you lose.

Edit- Fitting that this is my 6,666 post. I always knew I was cursed when it came to poker. The percentages over the long run never even out for me.
    Last edited by Cuse0323; 06-08-12 at 01:13 PM.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15313

There are not any 2/5 games within a 100 miles of my home

Would have to drive 220 miles to Prairie Meadows for the nearest one and even there they don't regularly run unless it's the weekend.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    There are not any 2/5 games within a 100 miles of my home

Would have to drive 220 miles to Prairie Meadows for the nearest one and even there they don't regularly run unless it's the weekend.

I hear ya, wasn't calling you out. Just in general, people seem to be hesitant to play 2/5 when I find it more profitable for any solid poker player. 2/5 runs relatively regularly at the Turning Stone near me but I still thought the poker room sucked, banned myself from there and found out otherwise. Like the old saying, you don't know what you got until it's gone.

Drove down 2 1/2 hours to the Mohegan Sun in PA and they had one 1/2 game going on a Saturday afternoon and said they haven't had 2/5 in months. I just don't get it, people have no problem buying in 3 times at 1/2 to lose $600 but won't buy in once at 2/5 for 500 and have a good chance to make solid money or just lose it faster. Calling the standard 7 to 15 dollar raises in 1/2 just dwindles your stack and wastes time unless you're one of the two guys at the table that coolers people and gets lucky. Minimal skill in 1/2 IMO.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

if i play 1 2 or 1 3 i usually buy in for 300 reload every 50 bucks.