John Morrison
    fly eagles fly
    John Morrison's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Rounders 2?

Rounders 2 Poker Movie Faces an Uphill Battle

by Mike Schultz on January 18, 2012
    in Poker

Poker enthusiasts were thrilled to hear that a sequel to the 1998 poker movie Rounders was scheduled for a 2012 release. However, now the tide has turned, and with a few terrible poker movies being Drew Barrymore’s Lucky You and poker pro Shannon Elizabeth’s Deal, which scored a dismal 3% on rottentomatoes, it seems the poker world is destined for melodrama, shoddy plot lines and the overuse of the royal flush.
    Many had held out hope that Rounders 2 would bring spark renewed interest in the game after Matt Damon, John Malkovich and Edward Norton had teamed up in the original John Dahl-directed movie about the underground world of high-stakes poker.
    Producer and co-founder of Mirimax, Harvey Weinstein had said: “I’m entertaining the idea of doing a ‘Rounders’ sequel because there’s a side of the story that we haven’t told. I want to do it because there’s something that we didn’t say.”
    However the collaboration between Miramax, which produced the original movie, and The Weinstein Company has come to a standstill. Weinstein had been worried over the state of the declining state of the DVD market, which is where the original Rounders movie had made most of it’s revenue. Weinstein insisted that the movie hasn’t been killed, however, saying, “It’s become much more of a theatrical business because the movie has to work in theaters. There’s no second chance..I never make sequels but it’s something I’d like to revisit.”
    Despite originally setting a release date of 2012, Rounders 2 is currently scheduled to hit the screens in 2014. With the original movie ending with Matt Damon’s character set to compete in the World Series of Poker, it’s assumed the sequel would pick up where the original left off. Both Matt Damon and Edward Norton have been in talks to reprise their roles.

http://news.sportsinteraction.com/po...-battle-64324/

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

That sucks, would have been interesting to see if we could actually get a good poker movie and good sequel to Rounders.

HauntingTheHoly
    HauntingTheHoly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 483

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. It would obviously be a big hit in theaters despite that the original wasn't. All they need is Damon/Norton to be in it, call it "Rounders 2" and that's it. It could even suck but would make money.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I'd rather watch a movie that chronicles TTWarrior's search for free rolls and his adventures in SBR Poker.

huesbch
    huesbch's Avatar Become A Pro!

Would that be like a sequel to "Pee Wees Big Adventure" ?

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Would probably suck, but people would go to see it for sure and now that poker is bigger especially with young kids it would make a lot.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

they should make a movie with an online nerd losing everything on full tilt and being forced to struggle in the real world, i would watch that.