shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

your first live tounry

How did you do? Were you nervous about giving off tells to the "veterans". Im just curious because i plan to leave the home and online games and start playing at my local card rooms tournaments.

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

Playing live is way more fun than playing online. Don't sweat the small stuff ... like tells. I have played in a lot of live games and tournaments and have won a lot of money. I have never picked up a tell and am not sure if they really exist. They must, but if you are in a $3-6 game, that is the least of your worries. You will need to worry about people staying in with rags and catching something on a random flop. I've seen AA get beat by 9-4o and other stuff. I've seen people call out with nothing and catch runner runner for a straight or flush. Pretty much whatever you've seen online and screamed at the screen that the software is rigged, you will see in a live game as well. Most important is just have fun! Relax and enjoy!!

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its is definately different, It will be hard to take in the whole table try and concentrate on the players on your immediate left and right the most

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

I usually try to just pick the worst couple of players (the ones handing out money) and the best (or tightest) couple of players (the ones to stay away from when they start pushing in chips) and lump the rest in as average... The more you play live the easier it gets to start remember everyone's type... If you're a big online player you might also try and just play one game and practice remember how others play...

But then again the play at the low limit games is usually so bad you can, most of the time, just sit back and play proper tight poker and clean up (in the long run of course)

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Finished 4th in a tournament of about 75 in a local pool hall. In my opinion, it's much easier, because sitting with someone for an hour or two, you can get more of a read on when they are strong/weak.
    Went back the next week and finished about 40th, but that tournament has been very good to me over the course of time. The only other live tournament (besides ones with friends) in which I've played was at a dogtrack in Florida, where the blind structure was so ridiculous it was a crapshoot.

Uncle Joe
    Uncle Joe's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you are nervous it will show and then you better hope you are playing with a bunch of real amateurs. Playing live is alot funner than playing online. I have not played online for a couple of months now and maybe I will not play online again because it has been alot better playing once a week with my friends and twice in two tournaments one of them had 42 and the other one was smaller with just 23 or 24 maybe.