McFly
    McFly's Avatar Become A Pro!

What do you do when you run bad?

Man, I've taken it to the chin lately. Last 7 or 8 tournaments/sng's have either been bad beats or I was just card dead and blinded down to where I had to make a stand. A few were even real close to the money. Seems like everytime I get a hand either someone else has one just a bit better or I get zero action. (don't you hate it when dealt AA in BB and they give you a walk)
    I'm just depressed right now. No other way to put it. Should I take some time off and gather myself? Keep chugging away until things correct themselves? What has worked for you?

rolemand
    rolemand's Avatar Become A Pro!

#1 Go down in limit - whatever game you're playing

this usually gets me playing against a different breed of players and usually gets my confidence up.

#2 Mix up your play style for a little (also on a lower limit) this gives you the freedom to try something different and if it doesn't work, well it didn't cost you much to experiment.

#3 Reread any books, articles or whatever you've gathered that has helped in the past. This will get you off the table and give you a break along with giving yourself a refresher course.

HAPPY BOY
    HAPPY BOY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

Mcfly you seem to be a decent player. If you play right shit like that will right itself and soon youll be wondering how long ya can keep winning. It's all relative. avoid steaming and over betting and if ya play the right way soon you will be on the winning end bro! rolemand has some good advise, back to basics and never doubt yourself!

prrmike
    prrmike's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hey McFly, everybody who's been playing a while goes through what you are right now. George Brooks wrote a great 3-part series on "Dealing With Burnout" and here is a link: http://www.pokerroomreview.com/onlin...-articles.aspx

Seriously, it's a good read and contains a lot of valuable advice.
    Hope it helps, guy.

darkghost
    darkghost's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10547

If you're seriously in a funk, take time off. I'm not meaning a day or two. Take a minimum a week. Reflect on your game. Read books, articles. And start fresh again. Once you're back playing shorten your sessions until you feel your confidence returning.

Just like other posters said, if you've played long enough you all go through this kind of streak.

McFly
    McFly's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks for the tips guys. I am taking a few days off and rereading the Harrington books so I can get refocused for the return.

rolemand
    rolemand's Avatar Become A Pro!

Keeps us updated on your turnaround. GL

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

play a little tighter.....................if i am playing cash games i generally consider my table selection more and make sure i'm at a table with alot of bad players

jesterson
    jesterson's Avatar Become A Pro!

Take a break, a deep breath, and remind yourself that you WANT these morons to keep calling with unders and runner draws.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I play alittle tighter, but usually I play out of it fairly quick.