Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15313

Tired of getting my ass kicked with pocket AA and KK

Last night just went all in preflop each time I got these hands. It was three times in total and I picked up maybe 20 bucks total. I just get tired of those clowns and their stupid fuking pocket pairs always hitting sets on me. There are a bunch of guys that always raise a little bit extra when they get these hands and they are easy to play against because you always know what they have. I hate to be one of those guys by putting in that big preflop raise and basically turning my hand face up. The standard preflop raise never gets players to fold pocket pairs.

You never seem to win a big pot with these hands unless you get it all in preflop and any action you take post flop usually means your beat.

Carseller4
    Carseller4's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5045

Every time I try to milk an AA or KK, I get someone trying to wait out a flush or a straight and they usually get it. So I just go all in on these and hope for the best.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

The all in play for minimal pots isn't that great. Try and make a decent raise preflop and a continuation bet on the flop. If you are sitting with just an overpair after that it's time to slow down and pot control. You don't even have to bet the flop if you are worried about being raised. Pot control is the key to play these hands. You could even hold off betting until the river and then make a small value bet.

You should be the one punishing weaker players for overplaying AA and KK. For me in the live games I know that a very significant amount of money I've made has come from people overplaying these hands.

AA, KK, AK, AQ, QQ and all those type of hands need to be played cautiously. Mix up your play, but for the most part you want to be getting in some money when the hand is almost guaranteed to be best. (preflop and on the flop if you hit top pair) If players are sticking around after this point the best strategy is pot control. Stick around if the pot doesn't get too big and collect those smaller pots unless you hit a monster. Against an aggressive player if they have position on you I may even check many flops just to keep them lower. If they happen to hit big on the turn on river then the pot compared to your stack size should mean your opponent makes smaller turn/river bets.

Ideally hands like 22 and 33 should dominate AA and KK. These types of hands usually lose small preflop, but win huge later on. Punish them early and control them later.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Shoving AA or KK preflop is almost as good as folding it.

Both hands have great post flop value, but you have to be able to read the flop texture and note how many players are in the flop. A flop that is something like 5 7 8, against multiple players, its usually time to put on the brakes. Something that could be useful here is the Beluga Theorem. It not only applies to big pairs but hands like top pair, top kicker as well.

http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/show...Number=6607951
    Last edited by daneblazer; 10-15-11 at 10:57 AM.

yahoonino
    yahoonino's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1461

i won a touney last night ,,but is the next day ,,and still dont see my 600 point ,,,how this thing work ????

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15313

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Shoving AA or KK preflop is almost as good as folding it.

Both hands have great post flop value, but you have to be able to read the flop texture and note how many players are in the flop. A flop that is something like 5 7 8, against multiple players, its usually time to put on the brakes. Something that could be useful here is the Beluga Theorem. It not only applies to big pairs but hands like top pair, top kicker as well.

http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/show...Number=6607951

The problem I get into is that. I'll raise 14 preflop and get 5 callers. There's 70 in the pot and I'll bet 40. Some guy with a 100 left shoves and now I can't get away from it for $60 more. I'm not losing a ton of money but no one is usually ever deep enough to get away from it.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

KK has killed me every time the past 2 weeks. I raise it up pretty high compared to the standard raise where I play and get 4 callers, then the ace spikes and I have to fold. Lost a big one the other day when a guy spiked a deuce to hit his set against my kings.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Atleast you get action with your monster hands, everyone folds to my AA on the BB

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

doyle brunson said in his book that he'd rather have AK than AA/// his reasoning was simple and clear: With AA usually when you win you win small... for obvious reasons. When you lose, it usually means your whole stack. With AK it's kinda the opposite. When you lose you won't commit that whole stack and that's something for people to think about

Pabinator
    Pabinator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 74

I ******* had the best hand before the flop 13 times today & lost 12 of them, sbr is trying to **** me

JBC77
    JBC77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 303

In general poker is effected by luck more so than skill. More often than not it seems starting off with AA or KK gets cracked. Although it's statistically the best hand at that point, it has no bearing on the luck factor. In order to finish first in any tourney things have to go your way and you do need to hit your cards especially in the all in battles, which is nothing more than luck.

We've all had aces cracked and beaten pocket aces with a lesser hand, the cards fall where they may I suppose.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

crushed someones AA with 99 last night. it goes both ways

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

I just got beat with a full house kings full of 9's. Guy had pocket nines and hit 4 of a kind