nikossf
    I dont play at SHIT books
    nikossf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Anybody ever read "Super System"? 1 and/or 2??

Is it worth it? starting reading #1 yesterday... Just wondering if anyone has ever read it and actually finished it...Let alone. both..Super System 1 and Super System 2..
    Brunson..

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Some of the material is good, but they are a little outdated for NL Holdem.

nikossf

you recommend anything Dane?

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Some of the material is good, but they are a little outdated for NL Holdem.
    Dane is correct. They are good books, but mostly deal with deep stack play and that is not as relevant as it used to be.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by nikossf View Post
    Harrington on Cash games for cash games and Harrington on Holdem for tourneys.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Super System 1 and arguably 2 were ahead of their time when they were published. Personally, they seem to get into covering the fundamentals, but don't really delve too deep into poker theory, advanced play, etc. Next time you are a Barnes Noble, get a coffee and thumb through the different sections to see what we're all saying.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by nikossf View Post
    Harrington books are good. They would be my #1 choice. I've never read them but people say Phil Gordon's little green and blue books are good. When http://www.thepokerbay.org/ is functioning they have some good videos.

Super System 1 and arguably 2 were ahead of their time when they were published. Personally, they seem to get into covering the fundamentals, but don't really delve too deep into poker theory, advanced play, etc. Next time you are a Barnes Noble, get a coffee and thumb through the different sections to see what we're all saying.
    That they were. I still think the limit, stud, omaha, etc sections are good and Caro's tells are always fun. NL Holdem has just evolved too much since Supersystem 2 much less 1 has been published.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33528

SS1 is largely outdated. Of all the games covered, only NLHE is still played with regularity (the LHE section is for an ante structure that hasn't existed since the early '80s). If you want to play stud you'll probably want to take a look at Chip Reece's chapter, but the 2+2 stud book is far more comprehensive.

SS2 has great chapters on O8 and Stud8, Negreanu's triple draw chapter is okay. The other chapters aren't so hot and Doyle's NLHE section is identical to what's in SS1.

The NLHE section is a LAG style that assumes poor opponents. In 2003 and 2004 the chapter would have probably been quite useful, but use it today and you'll be getting felted too often.

Deep_Rest
    Deep_Rest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10319

Everybody should read SS and some Sklansky to build up your poker knowledge. However, if you have poker/gaming theory down already, then you should move on to Harrington. His books are the "Super System" of the post-Moneymaker era.

chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence
    chemicalbrother's Avatar Become A Pro!

thread made me put 'theory and practice' in my bathroom for a re-read.

nikossf

Nice!! Thanks for the great replies everyone...