McFly
    McFly's Avatar Become A Pro!

What does the opponent have?

I pick up Ad Kh in CO and I have approx. 4000 chips. 8 players left in tournament and blinds are at 30/60. UTG leads out with raise to 180. He had approx 3500 chips. It's folded around to me and I reraise to 540. It folds back around to UTG and he min raises to 900. I call. (maybe mistake #1 in not just going all in?) Flop comes all clubs...I think it was J 10 3...something like that. He checks. I check. Flop comes another 3. He checks again. What do you do?

All opinions welcome.

rolemand
    rolemand's Avatar Become A Pro!

check.

McFly

Rolemand: What do you think opponent has?

rolemand

Doesn't matter at this point IMO. There are 4 cards on the board and you've got A high K kicker. Any pair beats you and w/ 3 clubs on the board he isn't folding if he has Ac or maybe Kc. Wait for the last card and see what comes. No reason to waste any more chips on this hand w/o catching something on the river.

QuickLearner
    QuickLearner's Avatar Become A Pro!

I bet half pot and fold to a reraise. Then I run around the room kicking myself in the butt for not betting the flop.

I think he's got a mid pair. You're behind but I don't think he'll want to go broke with 7's. If he caught his set he has to reraise because if he smooth calls he won't get another chance at you.

If he had aces or kings he would have bet the flop. Unless he's one of those guys who thinks its more fun to tell bad beat stories than it is to collect moderate-size pots when you only have top pair.

rolemand

Quicklearner - and if you just get coldcalled on turn, what is your play on river assuming you still don't have anything and a 4th club doesn't fall. He checks - you???

Uncle Joe
    Uncle Joe's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm going to say he had a small pair to begin with and maybe two small pair now with the 3s on the table. He's hoping to suck you in with his checks and maybe pick up a full house on the river. Going all in on after the J 10 3 club flop might have kicked him out before the second 3.

QuickLearner

Quote Originally Posted by rolemand
    Quicklearner - and if you just get coldcalled on turn, what is your play on river assuming you still don't have anything and a 4th club doesn't fall. He checks - you???
    If he calls a half pot bet on the turn he's got a set and is looking to stack me if I get frisky on the river. I would insta-check on the river and expect to get beaten. That's why I said that he wouldn't get another shot at me. If he calls the turn then bets the river I know I'm dead and I fold. If he calls and lays a trap I don't fall into it.

McFly

I asked myself what he could be holding to reraise me preflop out of position. I've gotta think high pocket pair - QQ or higher. When that flop came out and he checked, I sensed it wasn't a check because of weakness. He had that overpair plus one of his cards was probably a club. Then when he checked the turn, I couldn't figure it out. I didn't put him on a middle pair like Joe said above. I don't think he would reraise with that hand out of position. Anyway, once he checked the turn I did what quick said and put out a half pot bet. He quickly raised me all in. I knew at that point that I should have went with my original gut feeling and folded. So, yes, I should have checked and see what comes on the river with him acting first.
    I just wanted to post this because how many times do we have a gut feeling about something and then not follow-up with the proper reaction.

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

was this player a strong player? his preflop play says he has a very very strong hand........raise early and then reraise u the minimum I have to think he has better hand than a middle pair, I would say like u thought jj,qq,kk,aa possibly even aks but i wouldnt reraise min after your raise some donks would..

but I dont think I like your bet on the turn because I dont like your chance of taking down the pot........if your playing with the same donks i do they won't even fold 77 here specially if one was a club? I think you did a good job of thinking what his hand was preflop............

my question to you is what hand do you think he would have that he would lay down in this spot?????????????unless he is a very bad player and repopped u with a poor hand and if he is that poor a player i'm sure he calls no matter how slim his chances are for 1/2 pot bet

McFly

You are right Scottyy. All I was thinking after his check on the turn was "steal". Good chance for me to steal if he is holding a middle pair even though I didn't put him on that. It's just one of those things were I made a bad play and went against my gut feeling. I am pretty convinced that he had KK or AA and one of those was a club NOW. I wasn't then but looking back at it, I am pretty certain.
    This guy wasn't a bad player even though we had just combined to 9 and he was at a different table before that - so it was just a brief observation. Ironically he went on to win the tournament.

mad
    mad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Here's one for ya boys. This happened to me just recently.

Pockets 10's, pre-flop raise etc, 1 caller.
    Flop: 10-3-3
    Opponent calls all-in.
    What do you do?

QuickLearner

Insta-push.

rolemand

Quote Originally Posted by mad
    Here's one for ya boys. This happened to me just recently.

Pockets 10's, pre-flop raise etc, 1 caller.
    Flop: 10-3-3
    Opponent calls all-in.
    What do you do?

If the opponent called your all-in, what's left to do but turn your cards over? What am I missing here?

mad

He's first to act after flop. Sorry should of said moves all-in.

mad

Welcome to Donktown

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLearner
    Insta-push.
    That's what i thought and subsequently did.
    However what a silly boy i was. Mr Donk was holding an over pair. As you can probably tell i'm still smarting over it.
    Last edited by mad; 05-26-06 at 05:55 PM.

rolemand

I'm still confused. You were holding Pocket Tens and the flop was 10-3-3. If you had top Full House how did an over pair beat you?

McFly

What he probably means is that opponent held like JJ and a J came on the turn or river. That's what I got out of it.

QuickLearner

It's still a correct push regardless of whether they guy caught the third jack. You got your money in while you were ahead. Well played.

mad

Quote Originally Posted by McFly
    What he probably means is that opponent held like JJ and a J came on the turn or river. That's what I got out of it.
    Spot on, he had JJ and hit the jack on the turn. It happens, but is a pisser all the same.