k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1830

Ivey is looking out for Ivey.

He could give a shit about anyone else, especially player funds.

Take off your blinkers.

blackbart
    blackbart's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20697

he couldnt have played any way, this is no protest.
    if he showed up, they would have lynched him.

dochall2u
    Update your status
    dochall2u's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bottom line,Phil is a class act.Not any new news anyone that follows poker would not know.

Thanks to OP for sharing this.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Ivy is a compulsive gambler lets not forget that
    Compulsive gamblers are know to tell stories

Bobby D
    Bobby D's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ivey doesn't give a shit about anybody...He's just pissed he wont be making $90,000/week from his stake in full tilt...Full Tilt was a cash cow for Ivey, Lederer etc These guys would take every cent from you and leave you in a ditch if they could..especially Ivey..He's ruthless.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D View Post
    Ivey doesn't give a shit about anybody...He's just pissed he wont be making $90,000/week from his stake in full tilt...Full Tilt was a cash cow for Ivey, Lederer etc These guys would take every cent from you and leave you in a ditch if they could..especially Ivey..He's ruthless.

...........food for thought.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

tiltware will just laugh at his lawsuit...never will see a courtroom...they could care less about phil the phoney ivey...

Lockitup1x
    Lockitup1x's Avatar Become A Pro!

smart move on his part

ChileCheese
    ChileCheese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 256

Hey fish,
    are you fishhead24 on 2+2?

ChileCheese
    ChileCheese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 256

Its interesting to read the dichotomy from the few posts here and the thousands over at 2+2
    I and some others have been able to see thru the bullshit over at 2+2 and are laughing at all the fanboys losing their shit. Sad to see so many 17-21 year olds so ignorant about life.

But over here on SBR, people seem to be on the devious nature of a sick gambler.

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by ChileCheese View Post
    Hey fish,
    are you fishhead24 on 2+2?

YES

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

im more impressed about the lawsuit than him wanting to dodge angry fans at the world series.

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    im more impressed about the lawsuit than him wanting to dodge angry fans at the world series.

.........true

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1512

At least Phil's got the balls to speak up about wtf is go'in on! He didn't cause this bullshit, if more pros start speaking out combined with the public backlash about how our fuk'in government is way to invasive regarding online poker, maybe a positive outcome can result. Something has got to give, because poker and gambling are not going away!

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think I also should take a stand. If I don't win the SBR seat, then I am also not going to play this year. "I am Spartacus!"

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Really don't know what to think of this. May be done for his own interests other than a statement to protect everyone else.

cadillac pete
    cadillac pete's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6636

He's been ghost since Black Friday and only now he decides to speak? I don't now, something to me seems off. I would much prefer to see an interview/press conference. And wtf is an Electronic Lawsuit??

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1512

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    Really don't know what to think of this. May be done for his own interests other than a statement to protect everyone else.
    Or maybe he generally cares about the future of the fuk'in game! You got the first part right, you really "don't" think much! Maybe Phil will give you his fuk'in stack of chips and let your dumb ass play for him!Since you claim you're so fuk'in great with other people's chips, mr. 17th place finisher! I wouldn't even want that fuk'in badge on my signature!Top ten, yes, 17th place, stfu!

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom
    Kindred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 473

guess no hope for getting our tilt money anytime soon

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom
    Kindred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 473

**** you tilt

http://www.pokertube.com/free-poker-...cks__F__k_You_

won't get my roll till summer is over if ever but at least tilt's incompetence makes me laugh

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post

For many years, I have been proud to call myself a poker player. This great sport has taken me to places I only imagined going and I have been blessed with much success. It is therefore with deep regret that I believe I am compelled to release the following statement.

From his facebook!

ok, whatever you say Phil

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10288

Spare me.
    Phil's covering his own ass as always.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    As far as not playing in the WSOP, not that big of deal.............considering he figures to make a much larger score per hour on paper playing in the side games as opposed to the tourneys.
    Amongst the top players in the world its considered that tournaments are -EV in and of themselves (read Greenstein's Ace on the River, which is a short entertaining book) but that they play them bc winning or placing high provides fame that they can then turn into sponsorship deals that they cant get in cash games. Tournaments in general (due to high taxes on winnings, house takeout, extreme volatility) are just not that good of an idea for a professional poker to make a consistently reasonable profit but (prior to all the banning and site shutdowns) they were +EV bc winning or placing high in one would give you TV exposure that a guy like Chris Moneymaker could cash in on for years. At Phil Ivey's fame level winning the WSOP wouldnt even improve his fame level so the only reason he plays is to get that big Full Tilt logo on TV for free for as long as he can, which would be pointless right now as Full Tilt is basically shutdown and I dont even know what the state of poker site advertising is but it might be in his best interests NOT to advertise Full Tilt right now, plus theyd probably spend the whole tournament interviewing him about Full Tilt and bothering the shit out of him about it anyway.

Here's a cut and paste from an article on the 2008 winner of the WSOP Main Event. In 2008, Peter Eastgate from Denmark, the winner of the 2008 World Series of Poker Main Event, was taxed with 45% for the first $4 million of the total amount and then the rest of the amount was taxed with 75%. Denmark is the country with the highest tax on gambling winnings in the world. At the end, he could only enjoy the $2.5 million from the total of $9.1 million win.

The one lottery winning lucky bastard that paid 10k to beat over 8k players then had to pay 6.6 million dollars in taxes on a 9.1 million dollar win...ouch! As you can see paying signficant taxes on tournament winnings doesnt help the EV at all, lets say a 35% tax rate on winnings and a 6-10% house takeout means they are playing for less than 60% of the prize pool in a highly volatile tournament with very expensive buy-ins that at 10k a pop doesnt take long to lose alot of money.

In Ivey's case he couldnt be more well known, if he never played another tournament in his life it would probably be to his advantage financially but the problem is that the site that sponsors him wants all that free TV exposure so he continues playing until this year of course. This would also definitely not be the most "fun" year to be the most well-known Full Tilt pro playing in the WSOP Main Event around a bunch of guys who have just been stiffed for huge amounts of money. There are many poker pros who used Full Tilt basically like a bank account, only withdrawing money when they needed it, the shutdown has in all likelihood broken many of them. Would you like to come talk to all of them at once and explain how the site you own a large % of and has made you worth over 100 million is unable to pay their 100k life savings?
    Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 06-01-11 at 11:33 AM.
    Points Awarded:

Fishhead gave bettilimbroke999 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Fishhead

mdemps9190
    mdemps9190's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7237

Quote Originally Posted by BetterBizness View Post
    For the record I'm not playing the WSOP either...

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

was full tilt paying all of ivey's entry fees?
    if so then perhaps that is a big reason he isn't playing, the other more obvious one that everyone here pointed out is backlash

if i was a high profile poker player i think i would quit making statements and playing on tv immediately

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Ivy did not want the pressure of being there

I bet he is in hiding

Guys must want to kill him

Roy Halladay
    Roy Halladay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20

Good shit. Make them pay for what they did Ivey

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

the wsop just got underway i believe yesterday. thats why the timing of this announcement.
    i make several deductions from this statement.

1. he doesnt wanna be seen. frankly, i dont blame him. poker stars made his place look like a joke by quickly repaying their players funds. he doesnt wanna have to deal with any angry players who werent dumb enough to have their whole roll in full tilt. bettilimbroke said it best, most players treated the account like a bank and kept their whole rolls in their and bragged about "only depositing once" instead of doing the prudent thing and only keeping what they really needed online, as it seems many of us guys over here do.

2. he becomes sort of a martyr. almost like messi refusing to play for argentina in the world cup for injustices of his people. could be used as a rallying cry for the ppa. cant be good for coverage either.

3. he would have likely made more in side action anyways then in actual tournaments. gives him an excuse to back out.

i dont think his heart is completely pure here, but i do think it was a stand up decision nonetheless.

most of these guys are egomaniacs, i do think its gotta hurt his pride a bit.

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

Phil just didn't want to get knocked out by someone wearing an SBR hat.

kidk
    kidk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

U cant sure a online gambling company because they dont foloow us laws and its illegal

Salamander
    Salamander's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thank you Phil Ivy, you care about me, bless you.

I will never misspell your last name again.

drc6491
    drc6491's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

why make 1 million in cash games when he can make 10 million in the court room. Phil knows where the moneys at

Holtgetsback
    Holtgetsback's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1402

Sounds like Phillip Ivey is scared some 21 year old kid was going to take a shot at him

Badgers13
    Badgers13's Avatar Become A Pro!

hes the best in the world. he doesnt even care if he plays in the WSOP.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

What I couldnt believe is judging from the video "**** you full tilt" that was posted earlier there was actually a clause in the T&C you had to agree to when signing up with Full Tilt that the players funds are NOT segregated from company funds.

Can someone confirm that that is really in the T&C, theres not even a scambook in Costa Rica that would have the balls to put that in there.

Thats basically sayin when you deposit that is now instantly their money

First 12345 Last