gwiz
    gwiz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 451

A fun no fold'em hand

So it's my first hand and the button is 2 seats to my left.I look down at 10 10 and raise which attracts 6 callers

The flop comes down Q98 rainbow and an old lady bets out.

Now I know I am beat but the pot has huge odds for me to see the turn card.

5 players see the turn come a 10,not the worst card for me.

Everyone checks to me and only the button is behind me so I decide I am gonna bet in case I have the best hand

the button raises and the old lady calls.

The river was a 9 and the old lady bets.

What's the play?

This is Limit Poker
    Last edited by gwiz; 05-29-11 at 06:46 PM.

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25123

Push. If she has two queens or two nines then oh well, wait till she goes to leave and rob her.

There is actually a few different takes on this but I don't feel like going into. What did you do?

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

ahhh, raise!!! you are only behind two hands, QQ and 99. If they have that, congrats to them.

Cheers

gwiz

I decided that my best play considering the old lady has a full house but will not reraise me if it is 8 8 and will reraise with the other 2 hands that beat me my best play was to call and allow the button to call with his obvious straight

gwiz

Quote Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
    Push. If she has two queens or two nines then oh well, wait till she goes to leave and rob her.

There is actually a few different takes on this but I don't feel like going into. What did you do?
    If this was a No limit hand I would agree with a shove but being limit poker I have to decide on the best course of action in a different way

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff

Yeah. I didnt know it was limit

Resler
    Resler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

You raise no matter if it is limit or no limit. You are most likely up against QX or a straight which you crush. If they had QQ I doubt they just call preflop letting that many hands stay in. They would three bet your raise probably and then just check down or fold if the flop has an A or K.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by gwiz View Post
    I decided that my best play considering the old lady has a full house but will not reraise me if it is 8 8 and will reraise with the other 2 hands that beat me my best play was to call and allow the button to call with his obvious straight
    Based on her play to this point, I would usually discount the chances of her having QQ and if she has 99 she's just going to have to beat me. What makes you think she has QQ or 99 there? With all of the other full house and straight possibilities out there, I'm raising the pot and making it as big as it can get.

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

i would of put her on king or seven

nomeansno
    nomeansno's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 407

You're playing in some amazing games
    Btw if the button has something he will call 1 bet with (and not knowing anything about him, he probably has a straight), he will call 2 bets too, so you definitely have to raise.

gwiz

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Based on her play to this point, I would usually discount the chances of her having QQ and if she has 99 she's just going to have to beat me. What makes you think she has QQ or 99 there? With all of the other full house and straight possibilities out there, I'm raising the pot and making it as big as it can get.
    this is LIMIT poker,I just like to use the phrase "no foldem" instead of limit

All I know is she has a full house, by her betting pattern the most likely is 88, yet the reason I don't raise is because I know she isn't gonna re raise allowing me to get any more than 1 more bet out of this situation so I might as well allow the button to call and get the same 1 bet without opening myself up to the remote chance she does hold 99

If this opponent had been a young guy I would be more agreeable to raising because I would think he would re raise allowing more bets,however against the old lady and the button who I am sure has a straight I think I did the right thing,there is no way the button is gonna call 2 bets on the river with just a straight

gwiz

Quote Originally Posted by nomeansno View Post
    You're playing in some amazing games
    Btw if the button has something he will call 1 bet with (and not knowing anything about him, he probably has a straight), he will call 2 bets too, so you definitely have to raise.
    I had a read on the button from past experience as being a thinker so he would not have called 2 bets in this situation ,he was an older guy as well

and yes the action is unbelievable

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by gwiz View Post
    this is LIMIT poker,I just like to use the phrase "no foldem" instead of limit

All I know is she has a full house, by her betting pattern the most likely is 88, yet the reason I don't raise is because I know she isn't gonna re raise allowing me to get any more than 1 more bet out of this situation so I might as well allow the button to call and get the same 1 bet without opening myself up to the remote chance she does hold 99

If this opponent had been a young guy I would be more agreeable to raising because I would think he would re raise allowing more bets,however against the old lady and the button who I am sure has a straight I think I did the right thing,there is no way the button is gonna call 2 bets on the river with just a straight
    I know it's limit. If it's me, I'm raising. Based on the preflop action, you can discount someone having QQ (but not ruling it out) because there was no 3 bet. 99 is a possibility but also unlikely. Don't discount hands like Q9, T9, 89 either. You could very well be against two lesser boats. I know what you're saying, but I think you're missing a lot of value there if you don't raise. Just my opinion.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

One last comment here. It sounds like you've been playing this limit game often recently. Another thing raising does is that if you don't raise here and simply call with the 3rd best hand on the board, the table could begin to see you as a guy who only raises with the nuts. While that could set up some bluffs against certain players later, more than likely it is going to cost you value in the future.
    Points Awarded:

gwiz gave daneblazer 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

gwiz

I hear ya and I appreciate your input Dane.

In most spots I would agree that raising is the correct play

I think this hand demonstrates the importance of who your up against.

These people are-were older rocks

gwiz

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    One last comment here. It sounds like you've been playing this limit game often recently. Another thing raising does is that if you don't raise here and simply call with the 3rd best hand on the board, the table could begin to see you as a guy who only raises with the nuts. While that could set up some bluffs against certain players later, more than likely it is going to cost you value in the future.
    interesting

these are the type of comments I really like

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff

I see what your trying to say about getting the extra bet but believe your logic is flawed. If you raise your button my fold (or may call two bets) but im almost certain your initial better lady calls the additional one bet so your almost guaranteed of getting the same amount with a chance to pick up two extra bets from the button. Haven't played limit in ages but you have to raise there.

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

in limit it is critical to get the most out of your hands that are nuts or near nuts which you have here. So many times in limit you get ran down. I would of raised and raised and raised till she folded or just called and let him happen the way it happens. you lose you lose but honestly i think you needed to take advantage of this