McFly
    McFly's Avatar Become A Pro!

Overlay alert!

Guys and gals,

I have been trying out Pokershare lately since they started accepting new customers again. I like it. Software is very good - no disconnection or lag issues so far. Nightly $25 tournament has $2500 guaranteed and it never reaches 100 players. They have quite a few European players and most play horribly. I've played it twice and monied both times taking 4th last night. They also have a ton of WSOP satellites going on if you are interested in that.
    Not shilling - just advising of a good opportunity. (Maybe I shouldn't have let the cat out of the bag about this tournament)

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

yep im signed up but havent deposited......i believe its part of the tain network, anyonr know the other sites on this network???/

prrmike
    prrmike's Avatar Become A Pro!

congrats on 4th, Mcfly.

McFly
    McFly's Avatar Become A Pro!

Scott - not sure.

Mike - thanks!

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

If you like playing tournaments, they are definitely the way to go. There's lots of overlay value out there if you look for it. As always, check out bonuswhores, they calculate the overlay value of the best tournament values for the various poker sites.

I just played in my first tournament just now in a few months: Paradise's Million freeroll. I know the overlay on it is only $1, but I keep hearing the ads on the radio, I guess they finally hooked me in there to cash my free ticket. I was in the top 10 with 100 players left when I lost two straight hands all-in being a 70% favorite. Finally I toss the rest all-in as a 50-50 coinflip with a short stack and busted. Wish I could have those 3 hours of my life back. lol

QuickLearner
    QuickLearner's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00
    Wish I could have those 3 hours of my life back. lol
    That's the only problem with freerolls. The payout is almost never enough to justify the time investment. I play in them every now and then as a lark while I watch TV, but I don't get caught up in whether I make the money.

Freerolls are also the source of some of the worst bad-beat stories you can find.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLearner
    That's the only problem with freerolls. The payout is almost never enough to justify the time investment. I play in them every now and then as a lark while I watch TV, but I don't get caught up in whether I make the money.

Freerolls are also the source of some of the worst bad-beat stories you can find.
    I agree completely. The variance can be brutal. I'd rather get my AA cracked by 72o on the first hand if it's going to happen, rather than getting busted the same way on the bubble. Last night I was just kicking back anyway, and didn't expect to win much, until I started stacking up, I kept laughing to myself that I'd probably bust just outside the bubble, which is basically what happened. I finished 57th needing to get to 15th to cash. Still, I feel I played perfectly according to my ability and cards, it's just the breaks. I had to push as a 70% favorite when I did to have a chance to cash.

Reminds me of my first live tournament a few years ago. I battled through maybe 300 entrants to make the final table, and then I eeked a tiny stack to make the final two, getting the right double up chances when I needed them. Heads up, I was outstacked maybe 10 to 1, but kept stealing against a weak fool to maybe get to 7 to 3 when I get 83o in the BB. Weakie limps & I check, flop is 337 rainbow. He checks, I bet, he reraises me all-in with KK. I'm 83% to win the hand and probably the tourney, with this guy seemingly clueless at HU play. Turn is an 8, river is a K to crush me. It still haunts me because the dropoff in prize value was maybe 20-1 from first to second place.