2ndchance
    2ndchance's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 206

Rip Dave may your soul live on.
    Last edited by 2ndchance; 04-23-18 at 01:59 PM.

clamato8
    clamato8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

I'm one of Dave Malinsky's many friends, and I want to assure you that he was every bit the class act he appeared to be. He was the most naturally elegant man I've ever met, even if he displayed it while eating an al pastor taco. I never saw him ruffled. I never saw him angry. He was a stress-free friend, never carrying an agenda. He was ever gentle and best of all, enthusiastic about so many things. He may have been called The Professor, but he was a perennial student, always wanting to learn more about sports, about nature, about philosophy and psychology.

Over the past ten years, his heart and soul were increasingly with the bristlecone pine trees that he was studying and photographing, but that doesn't mean he wasn't committed to his work here. He was proud of his work at SBR, and he was proud of you. Given the contentiousness of many of the threads here, it mattered a lot to him that there were few times that moderation was necessary, and he hoped to foster a space where sports bettors could talk seriously about sports without taking themselves too seriously, and where disagreement didn't lead to serious hostility.

I'm sorry that more of you didn't get to know David in person, but what you saw here is very much the man he was in the real world. He treated everyone with respect. It was hard to go to a restaurant without him being on a first-named basis with a waiter, a chef, a bus boy, a hostess. Everyone loved Dave because he shared so much of himself.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 9 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB, opie1988, golfnutt67, Microphone, peterose4hof, SBR Forum, bruceBRUCEbruce, BIGDAY, and unclejimmy

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11139

I'm going to miss his posts...

I'm very sorry for Dave's close friends and families loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Death is always a mystery. I hope you find peace not in how he died but how wonderful he lived.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10289

So very sad to hear of the passing of a truly gifted and gentle-man---Dave Malinsky.

My heartfelt condolences go out to his loving family, relatives and friends near and far.
    Truly a gifted writer who was read and respected on a national and international scale.
    You will be missed.
    May God bless David Malinsky.

low mileage
    low mileage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Dave was a role model as a handicapper, as a writer, and most importantly as a person. He will remain with us because he shared his wisdom so generously over the years.

Endless thanks to you, Dave.

SBR Genie
    SBR Genie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11946

Rest in peace, Dave.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Thank you clamato. That was a really lovely insight into a fellow poster/employee here. Sometimes people take things so seriously like it's life or death and act appallingly - whether it's a poster or a staff member. I really hope this can serve as a lesson that any of us can be taken so soon and unexpectedly. Many of us have known each other for years and years and years. Enough with the other stuff maybe for a bit.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

What was the cause of his death? Is it unknown at this time?

clamato8

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Thank you clamato. That was a really lovely insight into a fellow poster/employee here. Sometimes people take things so seriously like it's life or death and act appallingly - whether it's a poster or a staff member. I really hope this can serve as a lesson that any of us can be taken so soon and unexpectedly. Many of us have known each other for years and years and years. Enough with the other stuff maybe for a bit.
    One other thing about Dave. I literally never knew when Dave had a winning or losing streak. He was the same, well-humored guy regardless. He neither complained about bad beats nor bragged about victories. I'm not a sports bettor but interested in it and sports in general, but in the few cases where we talked about sports, we rarely talked about betting. You'd probably not guess it, but his favorite sport to watch in person? Baseball.

spider
    spider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 46953

Deepest Condolences to his family and friends.

R I P Dave.

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Thanks for sharing that clamato, I've been struggling with trying to disassociate sbr and Dave to avoid thinking about it everytime I log on.

His forum discussions and writeups had quickly become the priority and majority of my interest when visiting the site. I was late to the party in discovering Dave and much like others that knew him had stated, it seems that the sports and related knowledge was just a by product or residue of who he was as a person.

I was excited that sbr had hit a home run with having him as a featured writer and wished that I could've followed earlier than when I did. He also don't seem like the kind of guy that hit cold streaks for long if at all.

My interactions with him were limited to this forum and while that limited short interaction with him over a hobby or pastime has been inspirational and motivational for me I'm positive that his writing has affected many individuals in much the same way. Can't imagine what a presence he was for those that had the opportunity to know him in person or follow his work for a prolonged duration.

His passing can be used as an opportunity to emulate his mannerisms and behavior, maybe be less toxic or argumentative and belligerent etc. yet it's difficult to not feel cheated here.

There's not enough Dave Malinskys in the world and he wasn't the first nor will he be the last but he was ours here at sbr and now he's gone. Anger and resentment from unfairness is definitely going into pocket for me here
    Points Awarded:

the tross gave shadymcgrady 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: clamato8

mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    What was the cause of his death? Is it unknown at this time?
    From the SBR In Memoriam video posted today, Teddy Covers said it looks like he took a pretty bad fall, but it's not clear if something happened (i.e. heart attack) to cause it or if he just slipped.

Gonna miss him on his regular appearances on the Monday night Anger Management shows SBR does with Gabe Morency.

pappahoops
    pappahoops's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Such a loss for us all. David was a gentleman, a professor, a student and mostly a dear friend. His demeanor was the same in wins and losses and his constant recommendation to me was, "Chuck, you must maintain balance." From his early days as a journalist in Philly, he found a love for sports, and oddly enough a love for box scores. He said many times how he and his mentor would pour over the box scores day and night looking for that edge.

His success in sports paled to his mastery of life. I cannot and will not attempt to improve over clamato's depiction of David, for it is as accurate, complete and loving as David would have wanted. I know we will all miss David in varying degrees, but I think of his mother, who just recently came to visit David in the desert. Mrs. Malinsky, I cannot know your pain, and I wished it were not true but I know you understand this, David was Loved for the man you helped him become.

Blessings to all who knew and loved David, he was a man to be remembered. Well done David, Well done!!!

aliceinchains
    aliceinchains's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 757

I'm schocked right now...Don't know what to say. I just saw that the name of the thread was changed to this..
    My cndolences to his family, friends...

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Also shocked by David death. I remember a similar case, Doug Pappas. He had the blog "business of Baseball" which I visited often. One day in 2004 he was reported dead by a heat stroke in the Big Bend National Park, just 42 years old. It makes you think how fragile we are.

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1345

My sincere condolences and deepest sympathies to Dave's family and friends. The outpouring of affection and shared memories here and across several web sites, are a direct reflection of what a kind and gifted person he was, not just in sports, but in life itself.

Kind thanks to Dave's good friend Shawn Kiser (SKrallyman) and his nephew Tanner, who kept us informed with truthful information, while having to deal with negative assholes who questioned the legitimacy of Dave's disappearance, attacked his character with accusations of gambling debts, fake conspiracy theories, and the idiotic notion of "him wanting to vanish as the best case scenario."

One of these fuk's even went as far as to accused Dave's friend Shawn of six years, of having something to do with Dave missing, after Shawn posted an informative and insightful look into Dave's love of hiking and a project he was working on about Bristlecone Pines.

I'm amazed at the few ignorant idiots here whose only input was to drag a good mans name they didn't even fuk'in know through the mud. You insulted his friends, family and the memory of good guy whose passion was helping handicappers become better.

At least Dave's Facebook Memorial is filled with the memories of those who knew and respected his work and character as a human being. And it's good to see some heartfelt posts from those of us here who appreciated his write ups and posts at SBR. LLM. "Live Like Malinsky"

He lived life to the fullest never stopped doing what he loved. Cheers Dave and we'll miss ya brother.
    Last edited by mikejamm; 04-24-18 at 07:15 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: tanner40

jakedittler
    jakedittler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2503

Never posted anywhere on SBR other than in Daves column. Been following Dave for around 4 years. Also had the privilege of multiple dinners and personal messages. He was every bit as good as he seemed online. Showing even nasty trolls the same respect as multiple years posters. I read through this forum. Some of you are disgusting people. And I can't deal with you like Dave did. Made me sick reading some of these posts. Dave's goal was to create a community online where people had respect and dignity. And he accomplished that. Just a sad thing to lose a man like that while some of these disgusting people live on. Thanks to the people who only shared good thoughts. It was nice to see. The others, well, I don't have more to say than maybe you should try to be better. If everbody treated people the way Dave did, no matter what they said, this world would be a better place. My first, and last post on a thread that isn't "Point Blank". RIP Dave. You will be missed.
    Points Awarded:

tanner40 gave jakedittler 12 Betpoint(s) for this post.

DoggyJuice gave jakedittler 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

RIP .....Used to watch the PODCASTS with him and covers......could tell he was one of the good ones.... Good Fella

Al Masters
    Al Masters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11516

Quote Originally Posted by jakedittler View Post
    Never posted anywhere on SBR other than in Daves column. Been following Dave for around 4 years. Also had the privilege of multiple dinners and personal messages. He was every bit as good as he seemed online. Showing even nasty trolls the same respect as multiple years posters. I read through this forum. Some of you are disgusting people. And I can't deal with you like Dave did. Made me sick reading some of these posts. Dave's goal was to create a community online where people had respect and dignity. And he accomplished thatJust a sad to lose a man like that while
    some of these disgusting people live on.
    After 4 years of following Dave it’s a shame
    you are unable to follow his positive ways.

Your comment on disgusting people living on
    goes to show that you’re not one bit better
    then them rather you are one of them.

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1345

Quote Originally Posted by Al Masters View Post

Give the guy a break Al. Jakedittler's comment is probably more centered around the emotions several of us are feeling right now, somewhat offhand, but true none the less. Only the good die young, while a majority of the scum of the earth get to live on. It's more prevalent in our society and getting worse everyday. Dictators who use poisonous gas to murder their own people, Lunatics who rent a truck and mow down innocent bystanders on a crowded street, all the way down to the drunk driver who knowingly climbs behind the wheel, crashes into someone killing them, yet he or she walks away.

Dave was one of those exceptional people who could defuse negativity rather than feed on it, a prime example is evident in one of his last posts here before he went missing.

Quote Originally Posted by ikid2groove415 View Post
    It’s not true DUMBASS? Have you seen warriors play without curry? 14PPG less? STFU and learn basketball PUSSY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    While there is plenty of room here for discussion, there is none whatsoever for that kind of display. One can express themselves in such a fashion all across the internet; hence no need for that kind of graffiti here (not that anyone should ever really feel the need for it anywhere).
    For many of us who can't stand this asshole ikid2groove, it would be easy to retaliate in a similar fashion, and many of us do. So yeah, while we should all try to follow his example, often times on this forum it's a difficult thing to do. I don't know if you read this entire thread, but some harsh and hateful things were said here regarding Dave's disappearance. Myself and several others immediately came to Dave's defense, and yeah emotions ran high.

Like Jakedittler said, Dave gave the same respect to trolls and haters, as he did to long time posters. He channeled his positive energy into the greater good, it's what made him the incredibly friendly, knowledgeable guy he was. This forum was a better place with people like him in it. Lets hope we can carry that on in his memory.

jakedittler

Quote Originally Posted by Al Masters View Post

I have followed Dave's way. That was the most derogatory post I've ever made in any sports betting forum. And it wasn't even that bad. I didn't say anything like the ugly posters should die. It was more about losing such a great man. Given some of the terrible things said, mind you by people who never posted in PB, it was truly jaw dropping. To speculate such nasty things without ever following the man and getting a sense of his character is just terrible. If you don't know, keep quiet. Better yet, ask somebody who would know. His nephew (who I met) who was dealing with a terrible unknown, had to read post questioning the legitimacy of the gofundme. Like they were trying to steal money. It was terrible. And if you try to put me on that level, well you are terribly misinformed!

Al Masters
    Al Masters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11516

Mikeyjamm.. been a while since we’ve interacted here.

I really don’t like the idea of turning this thread
    into anything other then it’s intended purpose
    to give respect to Dave.

We all can agree Dave was a great guy
    a real gentleman.

Many of your statements are true There
    are a bunch of classless punks in the thread
    who certainly deserve a backhand off the head.

However for the point of making your point
    please don’t compare theses clowns to Dictaters
    and suicide bombers and serial killers these are not
    those people you mention these are idiots
    behind a keyboard getting a kick out of
    russling feathers...and here’s the bad news
    they deserve to live like you and me and any
    other human being.

So for some guy to come in here and
    wish death on some poster he doesnt
    really know is as classless as the pukes
    he speaks of.

Mike normal people who don’t like others on the
    forum and feel a poster is a scumbag
    still don’t throw out the ‘you should of died before him’
    card.imho

call him names let him have it try and
    bother him but please don’t wish him death
    eapeciallly in this type of thread.

All the best Mike.. for the record
    yoy know I always enjoyed your
    presence in the board.
    Points Awarded:

matt711 gave Al Masters 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

catsanddogs
    catsanddogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

It’s still hard to believe. He’s gone.

I stumbled on to Daves Point Blank column almost three years and have read it religiously every morning since. Pretty much bet everyone of his In the Sights plays through the ups and downs. Point Blank was a masterpiece. Arguably the greatest daily column ever written about sports handicapping.

ikid2groove415
    ikid2groove415's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

Quote Originally Posted by mikejamm View Post
    Give the guy a break Al. Jakedittler's comment is probably more centered around the emotions several of us are feeling right now, somewhat offhand, but true none the less. Only the good die young, while a majority of the scum of the earth get to live on. It's more prevalent in our society and getting worse everyday. Dictators who use poisonous gas to murder their own people, Lunatics who rent a truck and mow down innocent bystanders on a crowded street, all the way down to the drunk driver who knowingly climbs behind the wheel, crashes into someone killing them, yet he or she walks away.

Dave was one of those exceptional people who could defuse negativity rather than feed on it, a prime example is evident in one of his last posts here before he went missing.

For many of us who can't stand this asshole ikid2groove, it would be easy to retaliate in a similar fashion, and many of us do. So yeah, while we should all try to follow his example, often times on this forum it's a difficult thing to do. I don't know if you read this entire thread, but some harsh and hateful things were said here regarding Dave's disappearance. Myself and several others immediately came to Dave's defense, and yeah emotions ran high.

Like Jakedittler said, Dave gave the same respect to trolls and haters, as he did to long time posters. He channeled his positive energy into the greater good, it's what made him the incredibly friendly, knowledgeable guy he was. This forum was a better place with people like him in it. Lets hope we can carry that on in his memory.
    Idiot that quote wasn’t towards DAVE- go post winners simp

SBR Genie
    SBR Genie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11946

Quote Originally Posted by ikid2groove415 View Post
    Idiot that quote wasn’t towards DAVE- go post winners simp
    I revisited the thread upon reading the quote yesterday from post #580 and saw that the message wasn't directly quoted to Dave. But Dave responded as he doesn't want to see those kinds of comments is his thread, so I hope we continue to respect this thread in memories of Dave and not just for personal issues.

No more unnecessary words, please.
    Points Awarded:

ikid2groove415 gave SBR Genie 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ikid2groove415
    ikid2groove415's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Genie View Post
    I revisited the thread upon reading the quote yesterday from post #580 and saw that the message wasn't directly quoted to Dave. But Dave responded as he doesn't want to see those kinds of comments is his thread, so I hope we continue to respect this thread in memories of Dave and not just for personal issues.

No more unnecessary words, please.
    Dave is one of the few nice guys on this forum with no fake bones - RIP BUD

jakedittler

For all interested. An update on the service.

Hi All, If you are interested in attending a Celebration of Dave's life, please email me at hopeellis11@gmail.com , comment here or message me with your email address so I can include you. It will be held on Mt. Charleston on May 19th. More details will follow to those who reach out.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: mikejamm

Sam Losco
    Sam Losco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13690

RIP Dave

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Did we ever find out what happened?

BrickJames
    Action
    BrickJames's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8914

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Did we ever find out what happened?
    He fell and hit his head.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by BrickJames View Post
    He fell and hit his head.
    Question was did he merely slip/trip or was fall caused by medical issue.

clamato8

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Question was did he merely slip/trip or was fall caused by medical issue.
    The autopsy should answer that question. Results aren’t in yet.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

rip Dave

shivaseven
    shivaseven's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 688

So eerie that the last time Dave fired up the jukebox he played 'Slippin' into Darkness'. I honestly believe that on some level of consciousness we all know when our numbers up. I also believe that Dave is an old soul for how else could you account for his level of intelligence, wisdom and dignity. The world has lost a shining light and for that manner an irreplaceable one in this far flung corner of the universe. Good night sweet prince and let flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!
    Points Awarded:

bookie gave shivaseven 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

The Gooch
    The Gooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 408

We tend to romanticize the fallen. Dave did not love that. He stands on his own merits as the best lens for those seeking truth and applying it to modern day markets.

my last message from Dave:

hell sometimes I appreciate the banter as much as the scores, but the philosophical side action last longer with us than the money ever can anyway. We can't take the money with us when we go, whether the other stuff is allowed through customs is something we won't know until we get there.

We should keep the thread alive.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: clamato8

First ... 1415161718 Last