Point Blank
    Point Blank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2042

PB (4/2): NCAA Finals: You Can Guard Some of the Shooters Some of the Time

NCAA Finals – You Can Guard Some of the Shooters Some of the Time…A first look at the Chase humidor impact (and it isn’t just contact that should be tracked)…

Point Blank – April 2, 2018

An NCAA tournament that has delivered in terms of being a much more wide open affair than most brackets reaches the final stage tonight, and the prospects of something special are there because both teams are mentally ready for this stage – this is the second championship game in three seasons for the Brunson/Bridges/Booth trio, while Michigan is 15-1 in post-season tourney games since that runway incident last March, the only loss by a single point.

I’ll get to that tipoff in a moment, with the usual The Game Inside the Game format, but as sport cycles change, the last call for those who specialize in college hoops while the MLB marathon is only a few strides from the gate, I will plug in the jukebox to add some elegance to the day. There is a life/handicapping point to be attached.

I got the opportunity to see John Mayall perform this weekend, a bit of a metaphysical longshot that he would play a one-off in Las Vegas, and was amazed at the physical energy that he brought to the stage at the age of 84. It is the reminder that folks across certain of life’s grand arenas have the opportunity to keep growing and creating as time passes, taking advantage of the knowledge and experience gained through days gone by to add more colors to the palette. It is also a lesson to take to for those that do what we do, because we are afforded that opportunity to keep getting better, rather than reaching a peak, only to go downhill.

Mayall recorded “Mists of Time” in 2002, when he was 69 years old. It was the sort of thing one does at that age, looking back through the years to sum it up in a song that hinted at being a career epitaph. Yet Mayall has gone on to record a half-dozen studio albums since then, touring continually. We are offered the opportunity to do the same, within the parameters of our endeavor. Here is a live version from 2002, audio only, plenty to not only get the day started, but to remind us to take advantage of the prospect that our best may not be confined to the rear-view mirror just yet -

That is a great one to file away for plenty of listens in the future. Now time to head to San Antonio…

Item: You can guard some of the shooters some of the time, but…

The fact that Villanova is special offensively is not news to regular readers, as noted often the Wildcats are #2 over the last decade in terms of productivity with the ball, behind only 2015 Wisconsin. It is that nearly flawless combination of a half-dozen guys in the prime rotation that can all shoot the ball, and all handle it. They are also unselfish enough to be aiming for a team result instead of individual numbers, which puts extreme pressure on opposing defenses – the Wildcats will often pass up a good shot to get a better one.

Now that pressure falls on to the Michigan defense, which makes tonight a must-see event because in terms of talent and tactics the Wolverines have a legitimate chance to compete. Let’s set the stage by going back to the Elite 8 edition, when a headline was posed for Texas Tech/Villanova of “Is this the toughest defense challenge for Villanova”.

I believed that the Red Raiders matched up defensively better than any team in the nation, which now raises some intrigue tonight because of where the national defensive ratings sit with one game to go:

Total D
    Michigan #3
    Tx Tech #4

If Michigan is even better than Tech, then…

But now the caution. While the Wolverines have nudged ahead of the Red Raiders in the overall charting, let’s establish important perspective by taking a look across some of the key particulars:

Eff FG% 3-Pt% TO% BLK%
    Michigan #33 #55 #99 #232
    Tx Tech #12 #33 #17 #32

How does Michigan fall below Tech across the board in those areas and still rate a little better overall? Because the Wolverines don’t give much away via fouls, while the aggression that helped the Red Raiders to compile such good numbers also worked against them in that same category:

FTA/FGA
    Michigan #85
    Tx Tech #271

But while this is a major plus for John Beilein’s team in most matchups, does it provide an advantage tonight? Not really, because Villanova doesn’t build the attack around getting to the line:

FTA/FGA
    Vil "O" #289

Another area in which Michigan has been successful defensively is in using those string fundamentals to force opponents deep into the clock, where many of the grew frustrated and ended up taking bad shots. Yet that is also not much advantage this evening, as we go to average possession length:

Michigan D 18.0
    Villanova O 17.9

The Wildcat offense won’t be bothered if it becomes a grinder. One of their prime strengths is player and ball movement throughout the clock, and Jay Wright has a slew of finishers who can get their own shot on a late one-on-one move when that is what is called for.

It all leads me to a riff on an old saying, and for tonight I believe it is “You can guard some of the shooters some of the time, but you can’t guard all of the shooters all of the time…” Even a defense that brings the talent and tactics that Michigan can deliver, will find itself subject to having to hope that the Villanova shooters miss enough times to allow the Wolverines to stay in the hunt.

I don’t expect to be in play this evening, the final grade on my stuff being a “Lay -4/Take +9”, and “Over 142/Under 149”, but it won’t prevent me from enjoying two of the best coaches in the game play a little chess, and should Jalen Brunson and the Wildcats be cutting down the nets one of the pleasant memories in my own “Mists of Time” montage will have been watching the special way that they played the game this season.

Now time for some MLB…

Item: It isn’t just about monitoring contact at Chase Field

It didn’t take the betting markets long to anticipate an impact by the new humidor being use at Chase Field, the first Total I saw for Rockies/Diamondbacks on opening day last Thursday being a 9.5, and the closer at 8 (most good shops opened 9). Yet over the three games of that series there wasn’t an appreciable altering of flow in terms of contact, with eight home runs being hit, and that should settle the movement down a bit.

Where I am intrigued beyond the impact of contact is what the humidor does for the confidence of the Arizona pitchers, and that is how the story of the first series might best be told. There are the usual caveats of it being early in the season, and also of small sample size, but how about this for the D’Back starting trio of Corbin/Ray/Greinke:

IP 16.1
    K 25
    BB 4

That aggression in attacking the strike zone may be telling us about the psyche of the pitchers, and bears watching closely.

In the Sights, Monday MLB…

I believe the Brewers are better than the Cardinals, and that Zach Davies is better than Mike Mikolas. I like a team that is settled into their home opener after a 3-0 road trip, including having Sunday off, while for St. Louis it is the rare setting of having to travel into a day game. Yet the price is short, with as low as -113 to be found, so it will be #902 Milwaukee (2:10 Eastern)going into pocket, with -115 or lower the value target. It seems that once again the markets are not enamored by a quality pitcher that doesn’t show much sex appeal.

At a time in which strikeouts generate so much excitement Davies is below league average, a career 6.6 K/9 that induces yawns. But he has command of the strike zone and generates ground balls (a 50.2 percent clip in 2017), which has built out a solid 31-18/3.91 across his first 67 MLB starts, all of them coming before his 25thbirthday. A lesser Milwaukee lineup than the one behind him today went 20-13 when he started in 2013, and for perspective there were only five pitchers across MLB that helped generate more than 20 wins across their starts LY. Davies doesn’t bring an upside for greatness, but can be a steady performer that will be available at wholesale given the subtleties of his game.

Let’s let him take us on a tour of his own mindset, to lend substance to the belief in his savvy – “I want to keep it (off speed pitches) in a certain range below my fastball. My goal for my changeup is right around 8-9 mph, sometimes 10. My curveball is usually somewhere around 12-15 off my fastball. As long as I can stay within those ranges, I’m good.

“For me, certain curveballs that are a little bit sharper, at a little higher velo, play a lot better than slower, loppier curveballs. There’s a time and place for each, but the sharper curveball is what I’m usually looking for. Same thing goes with my changeup.”

Meanwhile Mikolas will generate some buzz because of the appearance that he turned his career around over a few seasons in Japan, but even with his best stuff he doesn’t profile as much more than a journeyman, and there wasn’t any particular magic to see in spring training. I believe we have a game in which the Brewers would be -135 in the same pitching matchup a little later in the season, and will take advantage.

If you want to know when PB is ready to go each day, as well as following along for some of the most important Sports Betting news as it unfolds, make @Vegaspointblanka part of your routine.
    Last edited by Point Blank; 04-02-18 at 11:33 AM.

Point Blank

For those that will be seriously tracking the MLB diamonds over the months to come, take a special joy in the return of Jason Stark; this particular column a must-read for anyone that wants an insight into the state of the sport, circa 2018.

lanceluna
    lanceluna's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Good morning Dave,

I have been following your column for the last few months once I heard you on VSIN but this is my first baseball season with you so please forgive me if you have already addressed this. I want to get your general thoughts on Run Line bets in baseball. (-1 1/2). Is this something you advise or do you generally stay away from spread betting in baseball. One game I have my eye on this evening is the Houston/Baltimore game. With the line being around the -200 price, that is to expensive for my blood, but the run line would seem to be reasonable considering Tillman's struggles a year ago. I understand Morton isn't the Astros strongest starter but with the strong bullpen and their bats it seems reasonable to me. Factoring in it's the Astros first home game and the return of champs would this be something you would consider? Appreciate your thoughts and all you do.

fxman242
    fxman242's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

As always marvelous insight Professor. Is there any value on KC today? Off a weather delay and the Tigers off a double header and an early turnaround. The under looks like itís moved a full point since the open. Enjoy the Nove Express this evening (a literary homage to William S. Burroughs)

rickste
    rickste's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22243

Hi Dave interested in your thoughts do you find value with Vill on the ML.
    Currently sitting at -3.31 If not what would be your value point.
    Thanks

bonusguy
    bonusguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1445

interesting you wont take the +7 with michigan but you would take +9

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by lanceluna View Post
    Good morning Dave,

I have been following your column for the last few months once I heard you on VSIN but this is my first baseball season with you so please forgive me if you have already addressed this. I want to get your general thoughts on Run Line bets in baseball. (-1 1/2). Is this something you advise or do you generally stay away from spread betting in baseball. One game I have my eye on this evening is the Houston/Baltimore game. With the line being around the -200 price, that is to expensive for my blood, but the run line would seem to be reasonable considering Tillman's struggles a year ago. I understand Morton isn't the Astros strongest starter but with the strong bullpen and their bats it seems reasonable to me. Factoring in it's the Astros first home game and the return of champs would this be something you would consider? Appreciate your thoughts and all you do.
    Money lines are a big part of the portfolio, a little less than Sides because the vigorish is a bit higher and it means fewer bargains, but you are on to one that has made the study list today. The question with Chris Tillman is one of how much that shoulder injury impacted his 2017 numbers, which fell of the table. While I don't attach a lot of weight to Spring Training statistics I did follow Tillman for signs of whether he was back to full health, and he did not show any signs of being any better, allowing 16 hits and eight BB over 12.1 innings, with only 4 strikeouts. There is a value chime at -1.5 -110 or less in that one.

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by fxman242 View Post
    As always marvelous insight Professor. Is there any value on KC today? Off a weather delay and the Tigers off a double header and an early turnaround. The under looks like it’s moved a full point since the open. Enjoy the Nove Express this evening (a literary homage to William S. Burroughs)
    Homages to Burrough are a good thing, "Nova Express" a bit challenging if someone is not familiar with him, but something I have handy for the occasional coffee break that could work for anyone as an intro is Word Virus.

The markets have taken what appears to be a weather lead on that Detroit total, another nippy day at Comerica, but it hasn't created a "go" point I would have had on KC Team Total Over 4. That would have led me into Francisco Liriano, who struggled with command again in spring training, and may be the type of pitcher that becomes more vulnerable today than the hitters - might a guy who struggles with the strike zone in good weather find it even tougher in this cold? Bot no chimes anywhere at the current pricing.

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by rickste View Post
    Hi Dave interested in your thoughts do you find value with Vill on the ML.
    Currently sitting at -3.31 If not what would be your value point.
    Thanks
    It looks like this one won't even be close on buy stuff - even if I shade the Wildcats for being better in end-game offense, in particular at the FT line, which I have done, I still wouldn't hear any chimes ringing at anything higher than -280.

lanceluna
    lanceluna's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Thank you, Dave. Have a great day.

MoneyWithNoCash
    MoneyWithNoCash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 624

Perfect match play of a tune fitting for this Monday Dave, I canít hardy concentrate on much with Thursday morning tee times in mind so some good flow of tunes get me by, Iíll never forget my trip to Augusta in 2012 and hope every sports fan of any demographic gets a chance to witness that experience. Time stood still for those first few nano seconds walking on those grounds and then the party really got going when valuetown lit up with the food and drink prices, until I hit the gift shop and balanced everything back out. Good luck to all on any dark horses this week and hopefully we have a fully stocked competitive campaign down the stretch.

Keepongaming
    Keepongaming's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1680

Hello Dave. I'm so glad that your John Mayall experience was better than my last, which I wrote about a month or two ago.

Regarding tonight's game...So due to a couple pools, I happen to be doing very well in, if Michigan wins tonight, I will win a touch over $600. I've heard you say more than once that you wouldn't mess with a future unless it's life-changing money, and this isn't...although it would be very nice. This is kind of in the same category as a future. Would you do anything other than sit on your hands? I just don't see Michigan winning this match up though. I was thinking that perhaps I might hope Michigan grabs a quick lead and the in-game money line gets down to say ;Nova -180 or so and then pull the trigger and take a pretty nice check either way. What do you think of that strategy and if so, would you put a certain value price on when to pull the trigger?

unclejimmy
    unclejimmy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1445

Tonight the Houston Astros raise their World Series championship banner. Is that enough of a distraction to make the +188 dog, Baltimore, worth a small play?
    Thanks for the John Mayall! Back in the day, late '60s, early '70s, saw him a lot out here (Los Angeles area).

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyWithNoCash View Post
    Perfect match play of a tune fitting for this Monday Dave, I can’t hardy concentrate on much with Thursday morning tee times in mind so some good flow of tunes get me by, I’ll never forget my trip to Augusta in 2012 and hope every sports fan of any demographic gets a chance to witness that experience. Time stood still for those first few nano seconds walking on those grounds and then the party really got going when valuetown lit up with the food and drink prices, until I hit the gift shop and balanced everything back out. Good luck to all on any dark horses this week and hopefully we have a fully stocked competitive campaign down the stretch.
    Augusta will be a big part of the consciousness this week, the markets over-reacting to Tiger in a way that is supposed to open something up somewhere. The question is where, and exploring all of the various menus is penciled in as a priority over the next couple of days.

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by Keepongaming View Post
    Hello Dave. I'm so glad that your John Mayall experience was better than my last, which I wrote about a month or two ago.

Regarding tonight's game...So due to a couple pools, I happen to be doing very well in, if Michigan wins tonight, I will win a touch over $600. I've heard you say more than once that you wouldn't mess with a future unless it's life-changing money, and this isn't...although it would be very nice. This is kind of in the same category as a future. Would you do anything other than sit on your hands? I just don't see Michigan winning this match up though. I was thinking that perhaps I might hope Michigan grabs a quick lead and the in-game money line gets down to say ;Nova -180 or so and then pull the trigger and take a pretty nice check either way. What do you think of that strategy and if so, would you put a certain value price on when to pull the trigger?
    Since it is a pool, which I assume was a low-cost to get in, you can view it as a relative free-roll on a 6-1 shot that is a little over twice the market rate. But if you don't believe Michigan wins it, it also means you could use the Wolverines advance to this stage as equity, and use that to turn it into a free roll to win $200 or so - if Mich wins you have nothing, but a Villanova win turns your pool participation into a respectable profit.I am a little inclined to the latter based on all elements involved, the Wildcats shot-making bringing more consistency over the course of 40 minutes.

Keepongaming
    Keepongaming's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1680

Thanks so much. Would you just pay -300 or so off the bat or look for better in game? Would there be a price you would shoot for?

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by unclejimmy View Post
    Tonight the Houston Astros raise their World Series championship banner. Is that enough of a distraction to make the +188 dog, Baltimore, worth a small play?
    Thanks for the John Mayall! Back in the day, late '60s, early '70s, saw him a lot out here (Los Angeles area).
    There is nothing attached to the ring ceremony that is likely to help Chris Tillman throw better pitches. That aside, most times I don't see ring ceremonies as being much hindrance to the home teams, since they have already been through so many parades and celebrations by this time - it usually settles in to "business as usual" once the game begins.

But even more important - were you ever fortunate enough to see Peter Green with Mayall?
    Last edited by Point Blank; 04-02-18 at 01:42 PM.

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by Keepongaming View Post
    Thanks so much. Would you just pay -300 or so off the bat or look for better in game? Would there be a price you would shoot for?
    In-gaming can be so tricky because there is that risk of being shut out at the window if it is Villanova that breaks on top early, while any other commitments to the various price points are also subject to any peculiarities in the game flow. I might be more inclined to lock it in before tipoff, and allow for the sipping of a proper beverage to turn it into a more relaxing event, rather than having to have the finger near the trigger.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Keepongaming

Lago
    Lago's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1413

I missed the Milwaukee play but grab the RL +127 in running. They are down 4-2 in the fifth but Davies is doing his thing. He gave up a 2 run homer to the opposing pitcher but otherwise he's been good.

One of my early Masters bets is Matt Kuchar for a top ten finish at 4-1 or better. Kuchar's not a sexy name and he's no favorite nor is he a big long shot. But you will get an honest workmanlike effort from him. I don't have his stats in front of me, but he has a ridiculous number of top ten finishes. He typically doesn't challenge for the win but if you're looking for a guy that hangs around until sunday, he's the guy.

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3178

Hard to cap an opposing pitcher hitting a deceive bomb, when he hasn't has a major league at bat in at least 3 years...maybe longer.

I Hope Milwaukee rallies for you! . 5-2 is by no means insurmountable!
    Last edited by Regul8er; 04-02-18 at 02:52 PM.

Lago
    Lago's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1413

Ugh, bad timing by me. Now 8-2, a couple of more minutes and I woulda been locked out...

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    Hard to cap an opposing pitcher hitting a deceive bomb, when he hasn't has a major league at bat in at least 3 years...maybe longer.

I Hope Milwaukee rallies for you! . 5-2 is by no means insurmountable!
    I felt compelled to look it up, but Mikolas hit .110 across 3 seasons in Japan, looking very much like a pitcher at the plate (76 strikeouts vs. 16 hits). Bit his dinger off of Davies was crushed...

hute92
    hute92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

In case anyone puts any weight into BVP stats: Altuve 4 for 19 and Springer 3 for 15 against Tillman with zero extra base hits. Most of which probably came before the shoulder injury, but just throwing it out there.

The Gooch
    The Gooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 408

[QUOTE=bonusguy;27692909]interesting you wont take the +7 with michigan but you would take +9[/QUOTE

To highlight the impact 2 points can have on a wager - attempt to buy back two points on your bet. To move from the 7 to 9 would could you 50 points. When you start adjusting key numbers those points have a lasting effect. In the game currently being dealt we need to be content living in the space between 7-9 and have a heightened sense of line sensitivity or perish with every other contingent that has tried build a larger edge.

That said - I am probably going to find a way to get involved tonight.

for what its worth

The Gooch

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    I felt compelled to look it up, but Mikolas hit .110 across 3 seasons in Japan, looking very much like a pitcher at the plate (76 strikeouts vs. 16 hits). Bit his dinger off of Davies was crushed...
    Davies resembles a somewhat questionable Little League All-Star, but I appreciate a pitcher with his success ratio at the window. I will take a 20 Win pitcher with an ERA that will not impress a formula most times. Next go around we will get close to the same price and maybe some takeback.

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by The Gooch View Post
    Davies resembles a somewhat questionable Little League All-Star, but I appreciate a pitcher with his success ratio at the window. I will take a 20 Win pitcher with an ERA that will not impress a formula most times. Next go around we will get close to the same price and maybe some takeback.
    Davies finished #11 in net units among all MLB starters in 2017, largely because he will pitch a tick better than league average, without any particular peripherals to excite anyone.

Want to have fun with one of those little "side shelves" that has emerged because the influence Fantasy has on the general market? There were 6 pitchers that worked at least 160 innings LY, and averaged less than 6.0 K/9. Using the $$$ charts from Covers, so that I would not be accused of fudging to make a point, had you bet on those 6 guys in every start, 175 of them, you would have netted +17.93 net positions. That is a nice return, a significant part of it indicative of how the emphasis on strikeouts in Fantasy has also carried over into how the betting markets emphasized that stat as well.

What helps buoy the lower end in terms of profitability is that the high-K guys indeed perform well, which creates the mindset that it is the way go go in terms of run-prevention, and there is an absolute truth to it. What it leaves the handicapper are some bargain bin guys whose stuff is nothing special, but pay a better return than they should

The Gooch

To highlight an exemplary season of college basketball - I hold 3 units on the Arizona Diamondbacks. So it goes.
    Last edited by The Gooch; 04-02-18 at 05:48 PM.

The Gooch

Davies finished #11 in net units among all MLB starters in 2017, largely because he will pitch a tick better than league average, without any particular peripherals to excite anyone.

Want to have fun with one of those little "side shelves" that has emerged because the influence Fantasy has on the general market? There were 6 pitchers that worked at least 160 innings LY, and averaged less than 6.0 K/9. Using the $$$ charts from Covers, so that I would not be accused of fudging to make a point, had you bet on those 6 guys in every start, 175 of them, you would have netted +17.93 net positions. That is a nice return, a significant part of it indicative of how the emphasis on strikeouts in Fantasy has also carried over into how the betting markets emphasized that stat as well.

What helps buoy the lower end in terms of profitability is that the high-K guys indeed perform well, which creates the mindset that it is the way go go in terms of run-prevention, and there is an absolute truth to it. What it leaves the handicapper are some bargain bin guys whose stuff is nothing special, but pay a better return than they should
    ----------------
    Why are you using Covers as a baseline? I tend to blame Canada when things go south.

My temptation is to play Michigan and Over. How foolhardy do you think I am?

The Gooch

More to that point Dave - how has it not affected the NFL numbers? I have not seen evidence of it, but the NFL fantasy crowd does not sway the market in the same way I suspect. The Patriots continuing to be the best investment available year over year.

The Gooch

Augusta will be a big part of the consciousness this week, the markets over-reacting to Tiger in a way that is supposed to open something up somewhere. The question is where, and exploring all of the various menus is penciled in as a priority over the next couple of days.
    This post piqued my interest Dave. My most vivid memories playing either involved greyhounds or playing at the World Sports Exchange betting live golf. The mid 90's unexpectedly became primarily about this arena. My bankroll was limited but you could give yourself a chance to make a fortune in that space. Thus Phil Mickelson became my arch nemesis.

Point Blank

More to that point Dave - how has it not affected the NFL numbers? I have not seen evidence of it, but the NFL fantasy crowd does not sway the market in the same way I suspect. The Patriots continuing to be the best investment available year over year.
    Football being such a team sport, instead of the measurable series of one-on-one outcomes on the diamonds, it is a much different flow in terms of those dots all connecting. But also keep in mind a big part of what has kept the New England ATS charts in a positive direction is something that was a lead topic here prior to the Super Bowl - some of the things they are very good at, taking care of the ball and working field position, are elements that fall under-the-radar for large market segments. If anything, those elements of the sport lack sex appeal, especially since they don't reaffirm anyone looking for a quick fix anyway. The strikeout may be the ultimate across all sports for that appeal, because of how dominating they appear.

The Gooch

As far as measurable go I usually start there. I trust a guy that does not pitch to contact more than someone that relies on balls on the ground. Yet, Michigan St pulled down All available offensive rebounds and the Cuse played on. Perhaps the fundamentals have been well adjusted. Now we trust our fate to Zack Davies.

toddo11
    toddo11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 684

It’s very interesting to see what they’ve done with the bottom matchups, never have I seen the pairings of highly unlikely to make the cut players as well as the no chance to make the cut players (Singh-Ghim through Mize-Woosnam). That said I wish I knew the current realities of these guys. Some people will, I suspect following the money might be a good idea here.

Point Blank

As far as measurable go I usually start there. I trust a guy that does not pitch to contact more than someone that relies on balls on the ground. Yet, Michigan St pulled down All available offensive rebounds and the Cuse played on. Perhaps the fundamentals have been well adjusted. Now we trust our fate to Zack Davies.
    It is one of the invigorating aspects of this pursuit, hence bringing in something like "The Mists of Time" today. There are three teams in every game, the combatants on the field, and the marketplace either viewed as an entirety, or broken into subsets. Having to grade all three might seem like an arduous task but if taken with the right spirit it isn't; it is something that keeps you focused and alert, which is a great way to live regardless of ever making a bit.

What this also does is broaden our horizons because as the markets shift, so do the approaches. And in truth you could have done quite well with ground ball guys run 2017, outside of the Perdomo/Richard tandem for the Padres, and that was largely because the San Diego infield turned those two into outliers (Richard got tagged with a .351 BABIP that was MLB's worst, and Perdomo was near the bottom at .325). I don't have a natural affinity for pitchers generating ground balls, but if that is where revenues can be generated, then an attraction develops (for a while, of course, until the mores shift again; this is one endeavor in which the appearance of being fickle is actually a good thing).

The Gooch

Dave - as you have surmised I am playing somewhat compromised. Maybe the three teams are those introduced by Leon Bridges: the man I was, the man I am, and the man I hope to be.

Yet the man I am - still adheres to a long instilled discipline that will never allow me to not split 8's. Splitting 8's is mandatory and requires you to invest more money in a bad situation to lessen the damage.

12 Last