Point Blank
    Point Blank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2042

PB (2/21): On USC/Colorado, and Why Boyle/Enfield Aren't Amos & Andy

On USC/Colorado, and why Boyle/Enfield Aren’t Amos & Andy…Jay Wright does it right (though that can work odd ways on the scoreboards)…Sometimes the best revenge on the betting boards isn’t about revenge at all…

Point Blank – February 21, 2018

College basketball brings quite a panorama when it comes to the “Game Inside the Game” handicapping aspects, not just the usual notions of power ratings, stats and matchups, but all of the various issues that come with young men growing into life. This particular season has brought even more than most campaigns.

Occupying the handicapping consciousness has been Colorado State and Mississippi having to replace coaches in the middle of the conference season, the Rams not showing a noticeable loss of drive or focus after the departure of Larry Eustachy (they get J.D. Paige back tonight), and the Rebels playing with better energy at Missouri last night than they had in weeks under Andy Kennedy (did you notice Breein Tyree scoring 25 points in putting together a transfer audition video).

And there is also one that I have been waiting for tonight, the return match between USC and Colorado, Tad Boyle/Andy Enfield coaching clash not exactly an Amos & Andy routine, before we visit Senior Night from a different perspective.

Item: Tad vs. Andy, Part II

A couple of weeks ago I set up Colorado’s trip to Arizona by detailing the back story of Tad Boyle and his “Hell. Yes.” Remark after beating the Wildcats the first time around, referring to the FBI investigations into the Arizona and USC programs. Boyle’s Buffaloes had already played at USC prior to that, losing 70-58 (as -11.5), and it was in that end game that shots were fired, literally, to set up grudges for tonight’s rematch in Boulder.

The Trojans played with a tremendous energy that night, best seen through the defensive effort that brought 12 steals and 10 blocked shots. For a team to get into double figures in each of those categories is extremely rare. Was that motivated by Boyle’s comments? There is no way to measure that, but here is what we can be reasonably convinced was, the end-game sequence.

USC got possession with 0:24 left up by 12. Basketball protocols call for a dribble-out, especially when it is a first conference meeting against a team you will later have to face on the road. Instead Enfield called time out. Was it just to make Boyle and his team have to stay on the court and face the scoreboard longer? At first I thought so, while watching. But then the Trojans came out and ran a play, which ended it a missed shot by Chimezie Metu with 0:08 remaining, before Colorado got the rebound and held the ball until time ran out.

Let’s start with Boyle: "I will say this: that was a very strategic timeout from Andy Enfield and I'm not going to forget about it, and neither will our players." Enfield was brief: “I just had some things to say to my team.”

Item: But extra emotion isn’t always a good thing

Handicapping talk is filled with notions that sound good on paper, but don’t necessarily translate to anything once a game begins, and some of the emotional angles go to the top of that list. One of the problems is that while extra energy and focus can indeed be a good thing (and will get remembered perhaps too fondly when it is), it can also come at the expense of poise, purpose and execution. Colorado may be Exhibit A for the latter.

Have the Buffaloes remembered that moment at the Galen Center? Senior George King repeated his words: “We think about it. We think about it.” And as an upperclassmen making career start #86 tonight he might be able to handle it. But King will be surrounded by four freshmen in the projected Colorado starting lineup, and might the youth of the others create the risk of the emotion back-firing?

Let’s go to freshman PG McKinley Wright: “I didn't grow up that kind of player. But it ticked us off, knowing those guys had the win and they wanted to draw up some type of alley-oop or some type of dunk for Metu. We didn't forget it. We're looking forward to the game...We owe those guys one."

Could this be a young player, and perhaps a group of young players, getting a little too high for a game? That is the sort of challenge that we face daily on the betting boards. I have no doubts that Colorado will play hard, possibly as hard as in any game this season. With the altitude of Boulder behind them, and with the Trojans short-handed without Bennie Boatwright, one could easily make the case that the energy brings an advantage.

And it could, except for the obvious issue – will good effort translate into good basketball? For now I am not willing to put money into play on that front, though I will on another…

Item: On some Senior Nights the Power Rating goes down

I am going to have #743 DePaul (8:30 Eastern) in pocket from a variety of directions tonight (yes, the +20.5 got confiscated, but +19 or better is the value target), and because there are several long-term handicapping aspects it is worth going into the details. Finding both Play-On and Play-Against variables aligning when the pointspread is in this range might seem unusual, but it does happen a fair amount around this time of each NCAA hoops season.

On Tuesday I wrote about one of the factors needs to be kept in mind on Senior Night is that some home teams can be satisfied with a win well below what the spread is calling for, and Villanova brings a classic setting on that front. Jay Wright does it right with his program by nailing down all of the details (many of you may have seen Jay Bilas on Game Day last week call this “the best basketball culture” in the nation, and I agree), and that makes this evening a bit different.

From Wright: “This night is a big part of our program. For us, it’s a celebration of the entire senior class, not just the players and managers. We are so appreciative of the passion and support our students bring to every game we play.”

This time around Wright does not have any seniors in his playing rotation, though he may lose a couple of players early to the NBA. But to fill out his roster he has three walk-on seniors on scholarship, Denny Grace, Matt Kennedy and Tom Leibig, all of them earning their tuition by first competing on the court as “practice players”. It is in getting young student-athletes to go hard in the gym against his better players that helps to toughen up talents like Jalen Brunson and Mikal Bridges.

I expect to see those three on the court tonight assuming Villanova has the outcome in hand, which should be the case. And not just be on the court, but perhaps plays run for each of the to get a shot (they have played a combined 43 minutes through the first 27 games, but without taking one). These are all things that Wright can comfortably do when leading by less than 20 points.

There is also a flip side from De Paul, and it comes from two directions. First is something that an associate and I found in our sorting decades ago, and it has held up…

Item: Sometimes the best revenge has nothing to do with revenge at all

In sifting through various notions of college basketball revenge, we found a concept that worked well at the time, and has continued to, largely because it is off the radar and will never call for line adjustment (which is also why I don’t mind writing about it; it won’t have any market impact). There were particular patterns showing that made big revenge underdogs a value play, and they still show.

Here is the key – it has next-to-nothing to do with the underdog having revenge as a motive. In most of these settings they are too out-classed to even think of it. What it is about instead is the favorite not bringing much motivation, having handled the particular opponent easily once already, and the fact that they are prohibitive chalk meaning that they likely have bigger items on the agenda. In the case of Villanova the biggest of all – this team can cut down the final nets in April.

This has all led to tickets each February on some of the worst teams in the nation, and in bucking some of the best. But as long as the markets do their job the pointsreads allow for it.

DePaul supports the concept on two fronts. First is the fact that Villanova coasted 103-85 on the road earlier, so the full attention span will not be committed to the rematch, in between key Big East road games at Xavier and Creighton. If anything, Wright would probably like to have all of his key cogs off the court at 34 minutes or less because of the challenges ahead.

But then there is a part II, and that is Dave Leitao’s team showing a lot of grit down the stretch. The Blue Demons have played as though they are competing for a tournament spot over the past two weeks, heart-breaking losses by a single point at home vs. Creighton and St. John’s, a wire-to-wire rout of Providence on the road, and a competitive showing at Seton Hall in Sunday’s five-point loss.

This isn’t just about those opponents not taking De Paul seriously, but about where the Blue Demons chart in what I call the “effort” categories – Total Defense, Offensive Rebounding, and both TO% and Steal% on Defense. This is what it looks like if we reduce those charts to Big East games only:

Total D #3
    O Reb% #1
    TO% D #3
    Steal% D #3

DePaul may not play well tonight, but I believe Leitao’s team will play hard, and given how little interest the home team will have in stretching this margin into the 20s, the door is open to stay under this spread.

Item: About Last Night, and a wild rodeo in Laramie

Measuring the various emotions involved in college basketball is difficult enough, but sometimes the sport itself throws a haymaker at us. You’ll have to excuse how long this runs but it is the best way to capture what happened down the stretch of New Mexico’s 119-114 win at Wyoming. Yes, it is possible for there to be 53 points scored in the final 3:20 of a game, a data-base scrambler that will take time to decode properly:

3:19 Anthony Mathis made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Makuach Maluach.99 - 84
    3:06 Foul on Antino Jackson.99 - 84
    3:06 Justin James made Free Throw.99 - 85
    3:06 Justin James made Free Throw.99 - 86
    2:58 Foul on Alexander Aka Gorski.99 - 86
    2:58 Makuach Maluach made Free Throw.100 - 86
    2:58 Makuach Maluach made Free Throw.101 - 86
    2:49 Justin James missed Three Point Jumper.101 - 86
    2:49 Troy Simons Defensive Rebound.101 - 86
    2:33 Antino Jackson Turnover.101 - 86
    2:28 Alexander Aka Gorski made Layup.101 - 88
    2:17 Foul on Alexander Aka Gorski.101 - 88
    2:17 Makuach Maluach missed Free Throw.101 - 88
    2:17 New Mexico Deadball Team Rebound.101 - 88
    2:17 Makuach Maluach made Free Throw.102 - 88
    2:12 Louis Adams made Layup.102 - 90
    2:05 Foul on Nyaires Redding.102 - 90
    2:05 Makuach Maluach made Free Throw.103 - 90
    2:05 Makuach Maluach made Free Throw.104 - 90
    1:58 Foul on Troy Simons.104 - 90
    1:58 Louis Adams made Free Throw.104 - 91
    1:58 Louis Adams missed Free Throw.104 - 91
    1:58 Sam Logwood Defensive Rebound.104 - 91
    1:52 Foul on Alexander Aka Gorski.104 - 91
    1:52 Chris McNeal made Free Throw.105 - 91
    1:52 Chris McNeal made Free Throw.106 - 91
    1:47 Foul on Anthony Mathis.106 - 91
    1:47 Justin James made Free Throw.106 - 92
    1:47 Justin James missed Free Throw.106 - 92
    1:47 Sam Logwood Defensive Rebound.106 - 92
    1:42 Foul on Justin James.106 - 92
    1:42 Chris McNeal missed Free Throw.106 - 92
    1:42 New Mexico Deadball Team Rebound.106 - 92
    1:42 Chris McNeal missed Free Throw.106 - 92
    1:42 Hayden Dalton Defensive Rebound.106 - 92
    1:35 Hayden Dalton made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Justin James.106 - 95
    1:29 Foul on Nyaires Redding.106 - 95
    1:29 Chris McNeal made Free Throw.107 - 95
    1:29 Chris McNeal made Free Throw.108 - 95
    1:24 Nyaires Redding made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Louis Adams.108 - 98
    1:10 Foul on Justin James.108 - 98
    1:10 Makuach Maluach missed Free Throw.108 - 98
    1:10 New Mexico Deadball Team Rebound.108 - 98
    1:10 Makuach Maluach made Free Throw.109 - 98
    1:04 Foul on Chris McNeal.109 - 98
    1:04 Justin James made Free Throw.109 - 99
    1:04 Justin James made Free Throw.109 - 100
    0:55 Foul on Alexander Aka Gorski.109 - 100
    0:55 Makuach Maluach made Free Throw.110 - 100
    0:55 Makuach Maluach made Free Throw.111 - 100
    0:50 Foul on Dane Kuiper.111 - 100
    0:50 Justin James made Free Throw.111 - 101
    0:50 Justin James made Free Throw.111 - 102
    0:43 Foul on Sam Averbuck.111 - 102
    0:43 Chris McNeal made Free Throw.112 - 102
    0:43 Chris McNeal made Free Throw.113 - 102
    0:43 New Mexico Timeout113 - 102
    0:36 Louis Adams made Layup.113 - 104
    0:26 Troy Simons made Layup. Assisted by Chris McNeal.115 - 104
    0:21 Hayden Dalton made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Justin James.115 - 107
    0:21 Foul on Nyaires Redding.115 - 107
    0:21 Chris McNeal made Free Throw.116 - 107
    0:21 Chris McNeal made Free Throw.117 - 107
    0:16 Austin Mueller made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Justin James.117 - 110
    0:13 Foul on Austin Mueller.117 - 110
    0:13 Makuach Maluach made Free Throw.118 - 110
    0:13 Makuach Maluach made Free Throw.119 - 110
    0:08 Justin James made Jumper.119 - 112
    0:05 Chris McNeal Turnover.119 - 112
    0:03 Cody Kelley Steal.119 - 112
    0:02 Cody Kelley made Layup.119 - 114
    0:00 End of Game 119 - 114

If you want to know when PB is ready to go each day, as well as following along for some of the most important Sports Betting news as it unfolds, make @Vegaspointblank a part of your routine.
    Last edited by Point Blank; 02-21-18 at 12:54 PM.

deltonmyers
    deltonmyers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1939

Hey Dave, what do you make of the UNC/Syracuse game? The Heels have been in a really good offensive rhythm lately, scoring more than 80 in each game of their 5 game win streak. Do you think they have success finding good shots against the Syracuse zone? I like the over 143 and lean to NC -4, but wanted your thoughts on the game.

Point Blank

I'll copy this one over from the latter stages of the Tuesday thread:

Quote Originally Posted by deltonmyers View Post
    Hey Dave, what do you make of the UNC/Syracuse game? The Heels have been in a really good offensive rhythm lately, scoring more than 80 in each game of their 5 game win streak. Do you think they have success finding good shots against the Syracuse zone? I like the over 143 and lean to NC -4, but wanted your thoughts on the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    I find it a fascinating matchup of contrasts, but a difficult handicap. I believe North Carolina will struggle on the first shot offense against the Orange zone, as most teams do, but it is what happens after misses that clouds the picture - the Tar Heels are the best rebounding team in the nation (again), while Boeheim's defense continues to have clearing the defensive glass as the biggest weakness (in ACC only play NC is #1 in offensive rebounding and Syracuse #12 on the defensive boards).

I am not close to pulling the trigger on either side but will have that one on the top of the list go games to watch - Syracuse might be a sleeper for the Big Dance, that zone extremely active on the perimeter to frustrate teams facing it for the first time, and by then the lack of depth becomes a lesser issue (Tyus Battle is averaging 40.4 minutes per game in ACC play, over the limit because of overtimes).

pickNpray
    pickNpray's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 294

Really good spot to fade Texas Tech tonight in Stillwater with KU on deck Saturday. Thoughts?

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by pickNpray View Post
    Really good spot to fade Texas Tech tonight in Stillwater with KU on deck Saturday. Thoughts?
    That one is difficult to power rate because there may not be any way of knowing how effective Keenan Evans can be for Texas Tech until after the game has started. Evans is the catalyst for the Red Raiders, the senior that keeps everyone else calm early and then steps up to manage the game late (his absence was a prime reason for the close lose to Baylor on Saturday). Chris Beard laid it out this way:

“It’s going to come down to just pain tolerance and can he move. We all know Keenan is a warrior. He’s going to do everything he possibly can to play."

bjs2025
    bjs2025's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1729

This is one of those classic lines where it seems Tech should be favored by more....all tickets are on Tech yet the line goes the opposite direction. Penn State/Ohio State was a great example of this last week and to me that makes this a complete stay away game and if anything Cowboys side would be safer.

vegasvee
    vegasvee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 960

Dave,

Just wondering in your experience what is the typical maximum amount one is able to get down on a regular season NCAA 1h total and also game total at any single book.

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by vegasvee View Post
    Dave,

Just wondering in your experience what is the typical maximum amount one is able to get down on a regular season NCAA 1h total and also game total at any single book.
    Let's get some others to chime in here because my particular channels are a bit lenient, based on negotiations, so that I don't see many of the limits that are out there. I would think that $3K for a full game total and $1K for the first half is about as much as anyone is going to find at a single shop, with a lot of places likely dealing $500 and $250 on those menu items.

pickNpray

At what point does Michigan become a buy? I am seeing 4.5s .....

Point Blank

At what point does Michigan become a buy? I am seeing 4.5s .....
    It takes +5 for me to pull the trigger there. One of the under-rated notions across the Big 10 schedule is how much Josh Reaves means for Penn State. Since his return after missing 4 games it has been a 6-2 SU and 7-1 ATS run, the only non-cover by a half point, and that is despite 3 of those games being on the road at Michigan State, Purdue and Ohio State. the Nittany Lions had the lead in the second half of all three of them, hanging on to in in Columbus. This looks like a close "low variance" grinder of a matchup, but I need it to go another tick higher before stepping in.

straface23
    straface23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1182

Dave, any thoughts on Fresno/UNLV tonight? Thanks

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by straface23 View Post
    Dave, any thoughts on Fresno/UNLV tonight? Thanks
    If it is close late, the Bulldogs play smarter basketball and are easier to trust, but my #'s put this line right about where it should be, nothing showing to Fresno unless it runs to +4.

nri77
    Update your status
    nri77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 360

Dave - any thoughts on Iowa st +5 or duke -11? This Louisville team has been deflated since the news came out and duke has gone 3-0 ATS on a comfortable margin without Bagley

The Gooch
    The Gooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 408

Any thoughts on coupling Penn St and Va Tech in a moneyline parlay? Nice overlay for two team that are at a -4.5 price point. Additionally, Penn St would seem to be in position for an above average shooting night with Mich's perimeter defense at #210 while Penn St shoots quite effectively from long range. Michigan averages 74 ppg and will likely fall well below that tonight. I also see the Hokies having a better than 2:1 shot to win their contest.

Couldn't resist Texas Tech at minus -3. Even if Evans is not 100% their defense is #5 in the country and can limit the looks Kendall Smith will get.

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by nri77 View Post
    Dave - any thoughts on Iowa st +5 or duke -11? This Louisville team has been deflated since the news came out and duke has gone 3-0 ATS on a comfortable margin without Bagley
    I wasn't able to establish a power rating for Iowa State today - it is one thing to be without Solomon Young, Nick Weller-Babb and Hans Brase, but Donovan Jackson also had to leave the team for a couple of days for personal reasons, and while he will play tonight not having him on the practice floor, while trying to rebuild the puzzle without the others, may leave the rotation extremely unsettled.

Duke has had a nice run without Bagley, but there has also been some "right place right time" involved, not being physically challenged around the basket the way that they will be tonight. The defensive intensity has ramped up, which I used for an Under ticket earlier before that got away (157 became 154), but I am not close to anything with the side ("Lay -7/Take +13").

ikid2groove415
    ikid2groove415's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

Will Oklahoma win another game this season ?

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by The Gooch View Post
    Any thoughts on coupling Penn St and Va Tech in a moneyline parlay? Nice overlay for two team that are at a -4.5 price point. Additionally, Penn St would seem to be in position for an above average shooting night with Mich's perimeter defense at #210 while Penn St shoots quite effectively from long range. Michigan averages 74 ppg and will likely fall well below that tonight. I also see the Hokies having a better than 2:1 shot to win their contest.

Couldn't resist Texas Tech at minus -3. Even if Evans is not 100% their defense is #5 in the country and can limit the looks Kendall Smith will get.
    The Penn State problem for me would have been the usual "value" notion - earlier in the day the M.L. was available at 20-25 cents below where it tipped off. And of course you know the drill if it is a close game late; Beilein being such a terrific tactician, and filling his roster with the kind of players that allow for the flexibility. For as improved as PSU is, getting over the hump to win end-games remains a work in progress for this bunch.

BirdMaster
    BirdMaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 288

I am going to have #743 DePaul (8:30 Eastern) in pocket from a variety of directions tonight (yes, the +20.5 got confiscated, but +19 or better is the value target), and because there are several long-term handicapping aspects it is worth going into the details. Finding both Play-On and Play-Against variables aligning when the pointspread is in this range might seem unusual, but it does happen a fair amount around this time of each NCAA hoops season.
    I do not want to take too much of a bad number as all I see locked on my screen is +18.5 for the Blue Demons. How does DePaul 1H +11.5 grab you? Would there be a reason to like them to keep it below a 20 point difference in the game but not like them to split the difference in the first half?

The Gooch
    The Gooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 408

Let's get some others to chime in here because my particular channels are a bit lenient, based on negotiations, so that I don't see many of the limits that are out there. I would think that $3K for a full game total and $1K for the first half is about as much as anyone is going to find at a single shop, with a lot of places likely dealing $500 and $250 on those menu items.
    I don't do a lot with first half totals given the variance that can occur in 40 min of college basketball, and now we are going to double it. Though, I know players that use them effectively. Online I don't have an outlet that will let me bet more than 1000 (juice included I discovered). I personally have never attempted to bet more than $1000 on a first half total in person. I imagine I could get down as the sight of me heading to the ticket window does not strike fear into the hearts of many sportsbook managers currently.

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by BirdMaster View Post
    I do not want to take too much of a bad number as all I see locked on my screen is +18.5 for the Blue Demons. How does DePaul 1H +11.5 grab you? Would there be a reason to like them to keep it below a 20 point difference in the game but not like them to split the difference in the first half?
    I don't think the first half option fits the grand scheme here - what I am hoping to see if Villanova up comfortably enough for Wright to put his three seniors out there late in the game, which can prevent a margin from getting built. But it should be business as usual for the Wildcats early, Wright perhaps even wanting to get off to a good start so that his key cogs don't have to extend their minutes too far.

Sometimes the value just gets away, but there is a full board to attack on Thursday.

pickNpray

Can someone lead me to official ruling on how books grade seton hall / providence and other similar postponed games? My understanding it’s a refund all around, is that not the case?

BirdMaster

Sometimes the value just gets away, but there is a full board to attack on Thursday.
    That full board you speak of, it is lengthy. However I only see a small handful of actionable games, which has me already looking at such as Stanford, Delaware, and Utah. Only the 76ers caught my eye on what the NBA is trading with current lines.

Dave, how closely do you monitor NBA rotations this time of year as part of your handicapping? It seems to me that some coaches begin to tighten up for the playoff stretch and begin to show more predictable patterns with substitution timing. They will eliminate players completely from the rotation. While other teams are in rebuild/tank mode and level out the minutes across the board for all. Also guys that were previously monitored for injury status with reduced minutes will see many of those restrictions eliminated completely.

Is it something worth looking at? If so how is the info useful in certain match ups? Do you have any teams "in the drawer" that you might be having a close look at in these first few games after the break?

White Hat
    White Hat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 726

Glad Depaul got to go to the line 1 time in the whole game. That was quite helpful.

BirdMaster

Can someone lead me to official ruling on how books grade seton hall / providence and other similar postponed games? My understanding it’s a refund all around, is that not the case?
    If a game is postponed it should be a push on straight bets, and then parlays and teasers have that leg push and reduce the ticket by one team. The official reading for the Seton Hall/Providence game is listed as SUSPENDED, so it may be that the books are sitting on this due to that listing. pickNpray do you have some situation that has not refunded you yet?

shakey12381
    shakey12381's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 612

sometimes you cant make this stuff up

pickNpray

Quote Originally Posted by BirdMaster View Post
    If a game is postponed it should be a push on straight bets, and then parlays and teasers have that leg push and reduce the ticket by one team. The official reading for the Seton Hall/Providence game is listed as SUSPENDED, so it may be that the books are sitting on this due to that listing. pickNpray do you have some situation that has not refunded you yet?
    My local, who is a very reasonable guy, is referencing the ‘SUSPENDED’ vs ‘POSTPONED’ status as well. And from what I can gather since it’s resstarting within 24 hours that means sides and totals are still live. I have a Seton Hall +1 ticket but told him I am ok if he chooses to cancel. I am new to all this and learning as I go.

Point Blank

My local, who is a very reasonable guy, is referencing the ‘SUSPENDED’ vs ‘POSTPONED’ status as well. And from what I can gather since it’s resstarting within 24 hours that means sides and totals are still live. I have a Seton Hall +1 ticket but told him I am ok if he chooses to cancel. I am new to all this and learning as I go.
    The House Rules across Nevada, which have been put in place across most of the sports betting universe as well, will call for the full-game wagers on Side and Total to be "No Action" in that one.

bjs2025
    bjs2025's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1729

Quote Originally Posted by bjs2025 View Post
    This is one of those classic lines where it seems Tech should be favored by more....all tickets are on Tech yet the line goes the opposite direction. Penn State/Ohio State was a great example of this last week and to me that makes this a complete stay away game and if anything Cowboys side would be safer.
    Ahem

Point Blank

A lot of that really would be the smaller market elements not appreciating how hurt Keenan Evans was, and how much he means to the team - the very fact that he was playing should not have been taken as though he was OK. Evans was only 1-7 from the field, scoring just two points, and he also only had 1 assist. This from a guy that averages 17.6 points and 3.3 assists per game, and was shooting 48.4% entering the contest. In retrospect, Tech might have been better off in the long run had Evans not played at all, and had the game off to rest, but that is a tough judgment for a coach to make when there is a crack at the Big 12 title on the line.

Ahem