ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9617

Penn State wins ncaa wrestling title

PHILADELPHIA -- Penn State, led by 184-pound champion Quentin Wright, won its first NCAA wrestling title in 58 years Saturday night by outpointing Cornell.
    McDonnell: Robles shines in final

It was a night to remember for Penn State as a team, and Arizona State's Anthony Robles as an individual. ESPN.com's Jason McDonnell has the details.

The Nittany Lions finished with 107½ points to Cornell's 93½.
    "In my mind, I've been wanting to be a part of a national championship program since I started at Iowa State as a freshman in 1998," Penn State coach Cael Sanderson said. "Having not been able to do that for so many years until here we are now and it's finally happened."
    Wright began the tournament as the ninth seed and won his first national title with a 5-2 decision over Lehigh's Rob Hamlin.
    "It's a great feeling," Wright said. "It hasn't hit me yet. I just got out of the match. But it's going to get better for a long time."

Final Results

125 pounds
    First Place
    Anthony Robles (Arizona State) DEC Matt McDonough (Iowa) D 7-1
    Third Place
    Brandon Precin (Northwestern) DEC Ben Kjar (Utah Valley University) D 5-0
    133 pounds
    First Place
    Jordan Oliver (Oklahoma State) DEC Andrew Hochstrasser (Boise State) D 8-4
    Third Place
    Andrew Long (Penn State) DEC Scotti Sentes (Central Michigan) D 7-5
    141 pounds
    First Place
    Kellen Russell (Michigan) DEC Borislav Novachkov (Cal Poly) D 3-2
    Third Place
    Michael Thorn (Minnesota) DEC Montell Marion (Iowa) D 4-3
    149 pounds
    First Place
    Kyle Dake (Cornell) DEC Frank Molinaro (Penn State) D 8-1
    Third Place
    Jason Chamberlain (Boise State) DEC Ganbayar Sanjaa (American) D 3-0
    157 pounds
    First Place
    Bubba Jenkins (Arizona State) WBF David Taylor (Penn State) F 4:14
    Third Place
    Steve Fittery (American) DEC Derek St. John (Iowa) M 13-1
    165 pounds
    First Place
    Jordan Burroughs (Nebraska) DEC Tyler Caldwell (Oklahoma) M 11-3
    Third Place
    Andrew Howe (Wisconsin) DEC Colt Sponseller (Ohio State) D 6-4
    174 pounds
    First Place
    Jonathan Reader (Iowa State) DEC Nick Amuchastegui (Stanford) D 10-3
    Third Place
    Edward Ruth (Penn State) DEC Mack Lewnes (Cornell) D 6-2
    184 pounds
    First Place
    Quentin Wright (Penn State) DEC Robert Hamlin (Lehigh) D 5-2
    Third Place
    Grant Gambrall (Iowa) DEC Steve Bosak (Cornell) D 6-3
    197 pounds
    First Place
    Dustin Kilgore (Kent State) WBF Clayton Foster (Oklahoma State) F 4:56
    Third Place
    Cam Simaz (Cornell) DEC Trevor Brandvold (Wisconsin) D 5-2
    285 pounds
    First Place
    Zachery Rey (Lehigh) DEC Ryan Flores (American) D 2-1
    Third Place
    Dominque Bradley (Missouri) DEC Jarod Trice (Central Michigan) D 3-2
    Final Standings
    1. Penn State, 107.5. 2, Cornell, 93.5. 3, Iowa, 86.5. 4, Oklahoma State, 70.5. 5, American, 65.0. 6, Arizona State, 62.5. 7, Minnesota, 61.0. 8, Lehigh, 58.5. 9, Boise State, 57.5. 10, Wisconsin, 54.5.

Nebraska senior Jordan Burroughs, (36-0), one of five wrestlers to finish the tournament undefeated on the year and the first two-time national champ in program history, dominated the 165 weight class. He took the championship match with an 11-3 victory against Oklahoma's Tyler Caldwell.
    In the only pin of the night, Arizona State's Bubba Jenkins, who spent four years at Penn State before he transferred, dispatched Nittany Lions' freshman David Taylor in 4:14 at 157 pounds.
    Jenkins said he left Penn State because of Sanderson.
    "He didn't think I was good enough or the right kid to win it at that weight class or any weight class. I wanted to go 149. But he had other ideas. And he got rid of me. And one man's trash is a whole country's treasure," Jenkins said.
    Cornell's Kyle Dake allowed his first point of the tournament in the final against Penn State's Frank Molinaro, but it hardly mattered as the Big Red sophomore dominated and won his second national title with an 8-1 decision.
    At 197 pounds, fourth-seeded Dustin Kilgore (38-2) became the first national champion in program history when he pinned Oklahoma State's Clayton Foster in 4:56 despite the fact he trailed 5-1 at the time.
    In the opening match of the night, Arizona State's Anthony Robles took a 7-1 decision from Iowa sophomore Matt McDonough. Robles, who was born without a right leg, got the only takedown in the first period of the match and worked a pair of tilts to secure five back points.
    "I had a lot of butterflies going out there," said Robles, who admitted he's most likely done as a competitive wrestler but wants to remain involved in one facet or another. "This year I think that was the biggest difference in my wrestling, was my mental game. Going into every match I was real relaxed, real calm. But before that, before this match, it was nothing but butterflies. I felt like I was going to throw up, I was so scared I almost started crying.
    "But it's just the atmosphere. It's the true athletes that are able to just overcome that."
    Sophomore Jordan Oliver (29-0) out of Oklahoma State beat Boise State senior Jordan Hochstrasser for the second time this year as he captured the 133-pound title with an 8-4 decision.
    Kellen Russell kept the undefeated streak alive through the first three weights as the Michigan junior took a 3-2 decision over Cal-Poly junior Borislav Novachkov at 141 pounds.
    Iowa State's Jonathan Reader finished a perfect season with a 10-3 decision over Stanford junior Nick Amuchaslegui. Reader, the 68th national champion in program history, went 38-0 and was a four-time All-American.
    "Last night I was disappointed with the way I performed [in the semifinals]," Reader said. "I was a little anxious and excited to wrestle. But I came out tonight and made Iowa State proud."
    In the final bout of the night, Lehigh's Zach Rey (34-1) avenged his only loss of the season with a 2-1 decision in which riding time was the difference, over American's Ryan Flores.
    The three-day event drew a record attendance of 104,260.
    Last edited by ttwarrior1; 03-20-11 at 01:17 AM. Reason: na

NDIrish9
    NDIrish9's Avatar Become A Pro!

Who gives a shit? Between wrastling and ufc, I can't decide which is more ******* gay.

onetrickpony
    onetrickpony's Avatar Become A Pro!

thanks for the useless thread, someone should drive to kentucky and kick u in yer ass

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9617

its a shame since the sport is a great sport and more would watch it if it was on tv more often.