Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

How did people sweat out games before the internet?

jj how did you sweat out action back in 85 before the internet and when cable was 40 channels? Make phone calls to different people across the country? Wake up and look in the newspaper? Give me a scenario.

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

enough of the gay role playing bullshit, pick winners.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush

Quote Originally Posted by obamaismyuncle View Post
    enough of the gay role playing bullshit, pick winners.

Role play? Get your head out of your ass. It was a simple question. If you want "winners" go to the sub forums.

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

Great question, I am wondering the same thing.

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post

Role play? Get your head out of your ass. It was a simple question. If you want "winners" go to the sub forums.
    there isn't winners there either, sunshine. I went 5-0 yesterday plus over $400. I'm thinking of making a big play on Gonzaga, thoughts? Nobody cares if JJ has the new issue of Play Girl yet.

Rio DiNero
    using no way as way
    Rio DiNero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 218

Many calls to Sports phone.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    jj how did you sweat out action back in 85 before the internet and when cable was 40 channels? Make phone calls to different people across the country? Wake up and look in the newspaper? Give me a scenario.

Deuce very easy answer here

Sports Pagers
    Call In Score Services

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1509

"Get all the sports news instantly. Dial 976-1313!!"

Deuce
    Eddie Mush

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Deuce very easy answer here Sports Pagers Call In Score Services

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

I was placing soccer bets in the mid 80's before the internet. Here is how it went. We would go to the book's shop and place the bets (similar to the OTB for horses). They would have TV's that would update the scores when a goal was scored but no live feed of game. Not sure what the technology was called (telex or something like this).

donkdown
    donkdown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sports Pager, Headline News!! they were the first to put scores at bottom of screen!! Jack Price score phone!! This is the world champ Johnny Demarko!! If I had a dollar every time i heard that I could quit gambling!! Then u had to wait 5 mins well they tried to sell you with there bs just to get the score!! Espn at 25 and 55 past the hour!!

Fischnasty
    come on Papanick!
    Fischnasty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 311

teletype

Stacocakes
    Stacocakes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 538

Used to hate waiting for your game score on the bottom of the screen and it was just about to get to it and then it would be a commercial break so you would have to ******* wait till the game is back on and it skipped over your score during the break so you had to wait for it to come around again.That was the worst

Merella
    Merella's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18827

I remember I won $1500 on a $3 bet back when the nhl expanded last. All long shots like crappy Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Anaheim. I stayed up late watching the damn ticker waiting for anaheim to win. So exciting!

underthe total
    under
    underthe total's Avatar Become A Pro!

when i started betting it CNN had the only ticker and it was crappy too

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Quote Originally Posted by donkdown View Post
    Sports Pager, Headline News!! they were the first to put scores at bottom of screen!! Jack Price score phone!! This is the world champ Johnny Demarko!! If I had a dollar every time i heard that I could quit gambling!! Then u had to wait 5 mins well they tried to sell you with there bs just to get the score!! Espn at 25 and 55 past the hour!!
    Oh man do I remember this. Johnny Demarco and Jack Price. I remember Jack Price on the pre-recorded message telling callers to call his 900 line not just for you the gambler but for your family! Give them a better life he'd say. And on top of it, piss all over that bookmaker who's been laughing at you forever. He was something.

Yeah, 5 mins of commercials to listen to the scores. Those days may have been good but they were not the good old days!
    Last edited by Swinging Johnson; 03-19-11 at 02:01 PM.

HotStreak
    Smokin'
    HotStreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 901

Everyone used to dial the score line. There was a phone number with a New York area code where you could get all the scores. Then in the late 80's people had pagers that sent live sports scores. These dudes that had these pagers used to try and pull a lot of shit like pass posting on games with time changes, trying to bury half ass bookies without a good connection. Those were the days.

HotStreak
    Smokin'

Quote Originally Posted by Merella View Post
    I remember I won $1500 on a $3 bet back when the nhl expanded last. All long shots like crappy Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Anaheim. I stayed up late watching the damn ticker waiting for anaheim to win. So exciting!

Haha.

I got really good at current events from my gambling addiction. CNN for the win!

donkdown

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging Johnson View Post
    Oh man do I remember this. Johnny Demarco and Jack Price. I remember Jack Price on the pre-recorded message telling callers to call his 900 line not just for you the gambler but for your family! Give them a better life he'd say. And on top of it, piss all over that bookmaker who's been laughing at you forever. He was something.

Yeah, 5 mins of commercials to listen to the scores. Those days may have been good but they were not the good old days!
    they were classic recordings!! Price was priceless with his quotes!! I used to love to prank all those services!! Line Masters with Coach Ron Bash would make long distance calls for me I pranked them so much!! The guy's who answered the phones would just do it for me if I promised not to prank them for the day!! I had a GF who moved to Cali back then I was 15.. Used to talk to her for 3 hours on Line Masters dime.. They leave the office Id still be talking!! Good memories!!

donkdown

CNN was Headline News!! LOL I was going to type the same thing b4 Hot about knowing all the news!!

HotStreak
    Smokin'

they were classic recordings!! Price was priceless with his quotes!! I used to love to prank all those services!! Line Masters with Coach Ron Bash would make long distance calls for me I pranked them so much!! The guy's who answered the phones would just do it for me if I promised not to prank them for the day!! I had a GF who moved to Cali back then I was 15.. Used to talk to her for 3 hours on Line Masters dime.. They leave the office Id still be talking!! Good memories!!

Hahaha

Prehistoric DOS attack

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I won more in the old days

Too much info now and way too easy to bet
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: P.F.Kasooff

P.F.Kasooff
    P.F.Kasooff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

I won more in the old days

Too much info now and way too easy to bet

QFTT

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

Sports networks always had tickers, you could pay per minute and get sport results via phone and bookmaker and cris were big on giving away sports pagers. It was easy, I usually had quicker intel than my bookie, so I was on top of him especially horses.

aggieshawn
    SBR youtube Channels
    aggieshawn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1482

My question is how did they play when everything was either black or white.

Hoja Verdes
    Broncos Under 7.5 Wins -105
    Hoja Verdes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Can't imagine this hobby before the internet. Seems like the pros would have had a much larger edge.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

What was the network that turned into like old school ESPN News on the weekend? It was around for a year or two and was money at the time. I'm thinking it was what CNBC showed on weekends but I can't say for sure. They had some kind of sports trivia show too that was the sh1t.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    What was the network that turned into like old school ESPN News on the weekend? It was around for a year or two and was money at the time. I'm thinking it was what CNBC showed on weekends but I can't say for sure. They had some kind of sports trivia show too that was the sh1t.
    FUKK YEAH!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCORE_%28television%29

<<<Sharp

donkdown

Quote Originally Posted by 20Four7 View Post
    Sports networks always had tickers, you could pay per minute and get sport results via phone and bookmaker and cris were big on giving away sports pagers. It was easy, I usually had quicker intel than my bookie, so I was on top of him especially horses.
    LOL they really didnt!! U must be in your early 20's guy!! Espn never had scores going at bottom of screen only twice an hour!! CNN Headline News was the first one to do this!!

ramones951
    ramones951's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 891

LOL they really didnt!! U must be in your early 20's guy!! Espn never had scores going at bottom of screen only twice an hour!! CNN Headline News was the first one to do this!!
    I remember those days on ESPN, what was it... updates on :28 and :58 past the hour?

Mr. Jones
    Mr. Jones's Avatar Become A Pro!

Way back when...like really way back when..... just went out to dinner and forgot about it. I would then call the sports desk of my local daily newspaper a few minutes after the game would likely have ended and they were more than happy to give me the scores I needed off the ticker. Got where they expected my call. Quick and painless.

zgates
    zgates's Avatar Become A Pro!

i remember back in the day before espn news you had to watch the scroll on the bottom of CNN. Not sure it was called cnn. was like a constant news reel that was part of CNN

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Rio DiNero View Post
    Many calls to Sports phone.
    I used to use these back in 91-92 or so when I started betting on sports.