JoshW
    JoshW's Avatar Become A Pro!

2 Duke Lacrosse Players Are Arrested on Rape Charges

2 Duke Lacrosse Players Are Arrested

By TIM WHITMIRE
    Associated Press Writer

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) -- Two Duke University lacrosse players were arrested early Tuesday on charges of raping and kidnapping a stripper hired to dance at an off-campus party, and the district attorney said he hopes to charge a third person soon.

The indictments, unsealed Tuesday, did not indicate what possible evidence or arguments led the grand jury on Monday to charge Reade Seligmann and Collin Finnerty, both 20.

"It had been my hope to charge all three of the assailants at the same time, but the evidence available to me at this moment does not permit that," District Attorney Mike Nifong said. "Investigation into the identity of the third assailant will continue in the hope that he can also be identified with certainty."

Seligmann posted a $400,000 bond shortly after his arrest, and Finnerty was in the process of doing so for the same amount, said Col. George Naylor of the Durham County jail.

Earlier, Seligmann, a 6-foot-1 sophomore from Essex Fells, N.J., and Finnerty, a 6-foot-3 sophomore from Garden City, N.Y., were led out of separate police cruisers in handcuffs. One was wearing a suit jacket, the other was in dress shirt and jeans.

Seligmann is "absolutely innocent," said his attorney, Kirk Osborn. "He's doing great. That's all I have to say."

A message left on the answering machine at the Finnerty home in Garden City, N.Y., was not immediately returned.

The alleged victim, a 27-year-old black woman and mother of two children, told police she was attacked March 13 by three white men in a bathroom at a party held by the lacrosse team.

The racially charged allegations have led to near daily protest rallies. The school canceled the highly ranked team's season and accepted the resignation of coach Mike Pressler after the release of a vulgar and graphic e-mail that was sent by a team member shortly after the alleged assault.

Defense attorneys have urged Nifong to drop the case, saying DNA tests failed to connect any of the 46 team members tested to the alleged victim.

But Nifong has argued that he has enough evidence to proceed. He has said 75 percent to 80 percent of rape prosecutions lack DNA evidence. According to court records, a medical examination of the woman found injuries consistent with rape.

Defense attorneys have said time-stamped photos taken the night of the party show that the alleged victim was injured and impaired before she arrived.

Nifong has declined to discuss the case. He was appointed to the job last year after nearly three decades as a lawyer in the district attorney's office and is up for election.

Brian Loftus, of Syossett, N.Y., the father of two players on the team, told ABC's "Good Morning America" in an interview broadcast Tuesday that he approached one of his sons and asked him about the alleged attack.

"I asked him ten times. I said, 'Did anything happen?' Both my sons ... all they ever told me was 'Dad, nothing happened. Nobody did anything,'" Loftus said.

School officials said Monday that the lacrosse coach was warned last year that his players had too many violations of the campus judicial code and he needed to "get them in line."

Duke athletic director Joe Alleva said the university's executive vice president reviewed the lacrosse team's disciplinary record last year, then discussed his findings with Alleva.

"He said there were too many incidents, but there's not enough incidents to make a drastic change in the program at this point in time," Alleva told The Herald-Sun of Durham. Alleva told the coach "his team was under the microscope, and he had to do everything he could to get them in line and to not have any more behavior problems."

The review by Tallman Trask III, Duke's executive vice president, was spurred by reports of "boorish behavior" by the lacrosse team, Alleva said.

Sue Wasiolek, Duke's dean of students and assistant vice president for student affairs, said the review showed the lacrosse team had a "disproportionate" number of violations of the campus judicial code. None was particularly serious, but administrators were concerned about the cumulative record and the fact that some players had several violations, she said.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

good...hopefully they can prosecute these losers.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

double B, i really wonder if they did anything at all though.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

yeah i am sure this is all made up...come bbd stop defending the status quo...it's time that these spoiled protected rich kids get what they deserve and if they don't...hopefully we can see some vigilantee justice Clint Eastwood style.

bigboydan

double B, i can't remember offhand exactly what one cop reported on this case. i think he said something in regards to the stripper was found passed out in a parked car all bruised up.

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I think the DA is trying to save face personally.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Santo
    I think the DA is trying to save face personally.
    i think your probly right, not to mention he's up for re-election too.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear
    good...hopefully they can prosecute these losers.
    What I love about forums is the kangaroo court of justice style posters.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

yeah taco...i am sure if that was your daughter you would be saying the same thing

And since you get raped by your boyfriend and gang raped by other men routinely it's no big deal to you but most people see this as an injustice....

We'll have to wait and see fellows but I know what I would do regardless of the verdict if that was my daughter, girlfriend, wife, etc...

tacomax

Have you tried going back and searching through the old threads and seeing how a lot of people saying she was a slut and she deserved eveything she got?

I guess not. Nevermind.

Why not try having a go at those people instead of having a go at me as someone who says that you should wait for the truth to unfold?

Winston Smith
    Winston Smith's Avatar Become A Pro!

BB, if they did it, yes they should be prosecuted.

But throughout this thing, nobody's really questioned whether or not there was evidence. It's just "Spoiled white kids vs persecuted black victim." That's not evidence.

tacomax

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94
    That bitch should be killed for making up shit so she could get some
    money.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One
    All they probably did was touch her and whip their little peckers out in her face. She probably played around with a couple of them, but then felt like they were assholes and left crying all while her friend tried to talk her into just how "wrong" this is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One
    Just brand the girl as a slut and move on. The more these girls think they should be considered real people the worse it is for society. Since then she's probably sucked off about 5 different guys and had a couple of taped DP's.
    Some bitches are bad. This doesn't surprise me. Skanks!
    There you go, BuddyBear. Have a go at me for waiting for the truth to out. You just let the narrowminded people make up their own minds without any evidence, OK?

BuddyBear
    Update your status

I haven't made up my mind at all about this as I'd prefer to wait for the legal process to play out...yeah no doubt IMGV and the great one are racists not much doubt to that...but if anyone touched my daughter/wife/girlfriend/mother...you better believe I wouldn't wait for the justice system to take it's course...i would take matters into my own hand A-team style.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

and sorry i haven't gone through every thread i've been away on important business.

tacomax

I haven't made up my mind at all about this as I'd prefer to wait for the legal process to play out...
    But you have made up your mind, that's the point of what I'm saying. You're posts make it seem pretty obvious that you think a crime has been committed. Your posts also suggest you've got a grudge against "spoiled protected rich kids".

it's time that these spoiled protected rich kids get what they deserve and if they don't...
    And since you get raped by your boyfriend and gang raped by other men routinely it's no big deal to you but most people see this as an injustice....

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

.yeah no doubt IMGV and the great one are racists not much doubt to that.
    Buddybear! I hope you are kidding. I am no
    racist, you throwing out a statement like is
    not cool. I do not appreciate you twisting shit
    up to make me out a racist.

You are racist against rich white people. I don't care
    if your rich poor black or white if you are being accused
    of something that you didn't do then I will support you.

The only evidence I have seen so far is chick was a
    poor exotic dancer. These Duke players aren't going to
    spend one night in jail. No DNA evidence and everything
    will be he said she said.

In America people are innocent unless proved
    guilty by the court of law.

You really think some skanky broad who couldn't
    even pinpoint who raped her, had no DNA of any
    Duke player in her smelly twat is going to have
    any crediabilty? They had to get DNA samples from
    46 different people??

tacomax

Buddybear! I hope you are kidding. I am no
    racist, you throwing out a statement like is
    not cool. I do not appreciate you twisting shit
    up to make me out a racist.
    I don't know if you're rascist but you're guilty, just like BuddyBear is, of making a call on this case without having access to any of the facts of the case.

In America people are innocent unless proved
    guilty by the court of law.
    That is very true. But then you go and spoil it.

You really think some skanky broad who couldn't
    even pinpoint who raped her, had no DNA of any
    Duke player in her smelly twat is going to have
    any crediabilty? They had to get DNA samples from
    46 different people??
    See - you're forming your opinion from what you hear and what you want to hear. Similarly BuddyBear is making a call based on his prejudices of "spoiled protected rich kids". Neither of you are involved in the case I suspect so both of you are wrong.

Why not wait and let the truth come out?

picantel
    picantel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 433

This is about an obvious setup as it gets. Who wants to bet that a civil lawsuit follows no matter what the results are. No DNA which would be rather hard to get rid of considering she was supposedly beaten and choked.. One of her named suspects was not even at the party. Maybe someone wore a mask of his face. She was passed out dead drunk when one would consider being choked and taken up the ass a sobering experience. I don't care how drunk you are if someone beat you and took you up the hiney you are gonna be quite aware of your surroundings. They already have her lying about the party i.e. she was thrown out but many witnesses have her banging on the door to get back in. Yes, I frequently try to get back in the good graces of people who call me racist names and treat me like garbage. There are time stamped photos of her being and not being where she said she was. They have her friend's voice(who denys it) stating one thing and then as a witness stating the opposite. And finally, she could not pick anyone up out of the duke pictures before the DNA but suddenly she can. Eeny Meeny Miny mo. him.

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is an ugly business so I hope whoever is guilty of causing it gets punished firmly. But I have no idea what happened so I don't know who that should be.

BigD
    BigD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1863

These guys did nothing wrong the girl was a stripper by definition "paid to take her clothes off by men" I don't care what you say there is no way you get raped by one or 46 people and no DNA can be found. Hiring a stripper is not doing anything wrong she didn’t mine getting paid and taking the rich white kids money to be one. I hope these guy's sue Duke, the DA and the girl after this bull is over. Buddy I'm sorry your not a spoiled rich white kid you don't know what you missing

tacomax

U are the most negative person I have ever known.

We all have opinions. I respect everyones opinion.

I dont respect comments out of nowhere saying I am
    racist.
    Just pointing out (but I imagine you realise it now) that it was BuddyBear accusing you of being rascist, I never said such a thing.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

75-80 % of rape cases don't rely on DNA...
    That is true.

As for being a racist...i have no doubt in my mind you are one IMGV you have all the classic signs...guys who are accused of being racists and then say they have friends of all races is one of the surest signs of a racist
    I hope no one on here has taken you seriously. You
    do not know me other than what I say on this forum.

Your the racist. I never brought up the race card you
    did. Dont try to twist things around. I think you might
    be the racist. Your a weirdo dude.

bigboydan

why would they accept this deal, if they didn't do it.

this case will probly goto trial, but i see another O.J. verdict comming in this one.

Attorney: No plea deal for one of two players charged in Duke lacrosse case

By AARON BEARD, AP Sports Writer
    April 19, 2006

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) -- An attorney for one of two Duke University lacrosse players charged with raping a stripper at a team party on Wednesday strongly rejected any sort of deal with prosecutors, proclaiming again his client's innocence.

"I don't think there is any chance in hell that there will be a guilty plea," attorney Bill Cotter said. "I can't tell you about (everybody), but my client's case is either going to be dismissed by the D.A. or go to trial."

Cotter represents Collin Finnerty, who along with fellow sophomore Reade Seligmann was indicted Monday on charges of first-degree rape, sexual offense and kidnapping. Each posted $400,000 bond after their pre-dawn arrests early Tuesday, and both were released within hours.

School officials have declined to say whether it plans to discipline either of the players, although they have noted the university has historically suspended students charged with a felony.

Cotter said Wednesday that Finnerty, of Garden City, N.Y., has left Durham, although he wouldn't say where he went. Attorney Kirk Obsborn, representing Seligmann, of Essex Fells, N.J., declined to say whether his client has been suspended.

Seligmann and his father spent much of Wednesday working from the law office of attorney Robert Ekstrand, who represents dozens of uncharged lacrosse players.

District Attorney Mike Nifong, who has not granted interviews in weeks and said Tuesday he planned to make no comments about the case outside the courtroom, has said he still hopes to link a third man to the alleged attack.

He did not return calls Wednesday seeking comment about that effort, or about searches by Durham police Tuesday night of Seligmann's and Finnerty's dorm rooms.

Warrants authorizing the searches had not been returned to the court clerk's or magistrate's office by Wednesday evening.

"I can imagine they never quit investigating, but I think it's unusual to be executing search warrants after they've indicted," Cotter said.

Defense attorneys have said they have time-stamped photos from the party, bank records, cell phone calls and a taxi driver's statement to support Seligmann's claim of innocence.

A person close to the case told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the cell phone records show Seligmann called for a taxi at 12:14 a.m., and that according to sworn testimony he left in the taxi at 12:19 a.m.

The bank records show he stopped at an ATM five minutes later, the person added, while information provided by Duke shows he swiped an ID card to enter his dorm at 12:46 a.m.

A member of the defense team, who also spoke on condition of anonymity because the defense is working with players who could still be indicted, showed photos to the AP on Wednesday that show the accuser on the back porch of the off-campus house, with her clothing intact. She is smiling and looking through her purse.

The defense team member said the digital photos were taken at 12:30 a.m., citing an electronic time-stamp known as metadata. Such time-stamps are not visible on the photos. They are created, though, when digital photos are taken.

The accuser, a 27-year-old student at a nearby college, told police she was attacked by three white men at a house where she and another woman were hired to dance at a lacrosse team party. According to defense attorneys, DNA tests conducted on all the players failed to connect any of the team members to the alleged rape.

"I would have to say she is definitely making it up," Cotter said.

Nifong has ordered additional DNA testing, which was originally performed at the state crime lab. Cotter said he believes those results should be "back any minute."

Ekstrand said the defense has also not yet received a report from authorities about any photo identifications of suspects made by the accuser. "I think we're entitled to the report of the identification procedure, and the results of the photo identifications she did," he said.

The allegations of rape led Duke to cancel the highly ranked lacrosse team's season, accept the resignation of the team's coach and begin a series of internal investigations, including one into the behavior of the lacrosse team.

AP National Writer Allen G. Breed and Associated Press Writer Tim Whitmire contributed to this report

Winston Smith
    Winston Smith's Avatar Become A Pro!

"75-80% of rape cases don't rely on DNA evidence. "

-> This may be true. However, you're making a converse error in making the logical leap to "100% of rape allegations without DNA evidence are true."

Fact: Nobody here knows what happened that night. Nobody.

Wanting something to be true does not make it so.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

all I know is that this chick has quite a past...four arrests from my research...her name should be coming out soon...

justonetime
    justonetime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4467

Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/04....html?iref=NS1

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

That bitch is loco....

lemart5
    FOOTBALL TIME
    lemart5's Avatar Become A Pro!

LOL karma got her ass.

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

Quote Originally Posted by lemart5 View Post
    LOL karma got her ass.
    well her bf was the one who got stabbed, and prison life may actually suit her more appropriately than normal life.

I only hope that they work her enough to generate more $ than it costs to keep her locked up.

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear View Post
    yeah i am sure this is all made up...come bbd stop defending the status quo...it's time that these spoiled protected rich kids get what they deserve and if they don't...hopefully we can see some vigilantee justice Clint Eastwood style.
    hey buddy maybe they should get some justice from whooping your ass