will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

JJ: How did you monitor your bets when we had channels 2-13?

No cable. Remember the first cable box? Had a bunch of buttons in a straight line with a lever. Knicks home games weren't televised. Only for people that lived in NYC. The games would be on the radio and the away games would be on channel 9(WOR), once a goddamn week. (tape delayed). I like the Rangers but the Islanders would be on channel 9 also. If the new generation only knew how it was. No updates on scores accept 976-1313. No contests. I used to play the football tickets. 4 wins for 10 dollars (cost a buck). Sundays would have the NBA and football had no Sunday night games. I like it now but I wouldn't change a thing. Not even the stupid rotary phones

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Thankfully, it is a different world now.

I remember as a child standing just inside the door of the 'bookies shop' when my dad had a bet on a horse. The place was filled with cigarette smoke and the odds were posted by a man standing on a platform armed with a marker and a whiteboard. There were no pictures broadcast and you could hardly hear the radio commentary.

I am in the UK and aside from the World Cup, even live soccer was only broadcast 3 or 4 times a year back then.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by will2survive View Post
    No cable. Remember the first cable box? Had a bunch of buttons in a straight line with a lever. Knicks home games weren't televised. Only for people that lived in NYC. The games would be on the radio and the away games would be on channel 9(WOR), once a goddamn week. (tape delayed). I like the Rangers but the Islanders would be on channel 9 also. If the new generation only knew how it was. No updates on scores accept 976-1313
    976-1313?

I like it now but I wouldn't change a thing. Not even the stupid rotary phones
    You'd rather go back to not being able to watch games?

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

976-1313 was the phone number for score updates. It would count as local calls. My mother got a phone bill of 312 local calls and I knew it was me, I was young, I was shitting bricks. (she usually had 60 local calls per month. I wouldn't go back, I just think that the predominantly 35 and under crowd take technology for granted

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

For scores, use to call Tell Me....man I am thankful for the Internet.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

^ I used to call tell me as well.

I just think that the predominantly 35 and under crowd take technology for granted
    Of course they do, but now you're saying you wouldn't change a thing. So which way do you prefer it?

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    Thankfully, it is a different world now.

I remember as a child standing just inside the door of the 'bookies shop' when my dad had a bet on a horse. The place was filled with cigarette smoke and the odds were posted by a man standing on a platform armed with a marker and a whiteboard. There were no pictures broadcast and you could hardly hear the radio commentary.

I am in the UK and aside from the World Cup, even live soccer was only broadcast 3 or 4 times a year back then.
    Guess prior to that it was a black board and "chalk".

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Innings View Post
    Guess prior to that it was a black board and "chalk".
    Yup

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Sports pagers have been around for a long time

I was an original user of them

THE HITMAN
    THE HITMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16230

Called the newspapers, some had a special phone # for periodic scores around the country

clip1
    clip1's Avatar Become A Pro!

1800 score phone sucked

mav2112
    mav2112's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1373

I remember I would have a phone bill of $600 a month calling 1-900-dial it..........national sports.........for scores........unbelievable!!!