Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Question for Justin7/ Ganch types

Just eliminated 99.7% of posters

What is analogous to the relationship between the individual/group sports "Investor" and organizations such as Las Vegas Sports Consultants

Sure there are consistent winners out there but how exactly would you ever become sharper in the long-run

I am not suggesting that being a winner long-term is like building a spaceship in your backyard but surely any angle or system I could conjure up has already discovered/exploited.

ouman101
    ouman101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 749

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Innings View Post
    Just eliminated 99.7% of posters What is analogous to the relationship between the individual/group sports "Investor" and organizations such as Las Vegas Sports Consultants Sure there are consistent winners out there but how exactly would you ever become sharper in the long-run I am not suggesting that being a winner long-term is like building a spaceship in your backyard but surely any angle or system I could conjure up has already discovered/exploited.
    There's your first problem. Systems/Angles have to continually evolve to be successful.

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Innings View Post
    Just eliminated 99.7% of posters

What is analogous to the relationship between the individual/group sports "Investor" and organizations such as Las Vegas Sports Consultants

Sure there are consistent winners out there but how exactly would you ever become sharper in the long-run

I am not suggesting that being a winner long-term is like building a spaceship in your backyard but surely any angle or system I could conjure up has already discovered/exploited.
    Lets say that one person has exploited or discovered the edge. That one person is limited to how much they can get down in connection to their total capital. Thus the edge may not disappear from his position.

You can also find books that are slow or don't take the big guys, but take medium guys. There the edges might hang out longer as well.

You also don't have to be the only person with one edge especially if the public is betting strongly against you.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

An edge derived from modeling has a limited shelf life. Markets/odds makers tend to gradually adapt or evolve such that a statistical edge is eroded to the extent that it is no longer playable.

As one door is in the process of closing, however 'new' ones often present themselves.

It should also be bourne in mind that the task of Las Vegas Sports Group is not to derive lines that prevent modelers from gaining an edge but to produce something close to balanced action.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

I believe LVSG are catching up and using a lot more advanced statistics and machine learning than before.