suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tuesday, March 8: HOU @ PHX -5

Suns -5 (-105) x4

This is a big game for the Suns. They currently have two games in hand over the Jazz and three over both the Grizzlies and Rockets in competition for the 8th spot in the west. Their recent hot streak has been punctuated by big individual performances from several different players (both from among the starters and the bench), and a high level of overall intensity. The strong play by Gortat in the paint has been key in recent games, forcing the opposing defense to collect in the paint and giving the Suns perimeter shooters more open looks. Overall, the Suns are playing with more confidence right now than at any other point this season. I set this line at PHX -7.5.

The Rockets will be playing B2B, and have not been great in such situations this season (5-8 when playing their second game on the road with the wins against GSW, CLE, ATL, UTA, and NOH = Two terrible teams and 3 posers...). The factor that makes this game particularly appealing is that even though the Suns are a much more important game for the Rockets, due to their current ranking in the west, Houston just can't afford to take a night off and look past the Kings tonight. Both the Rockets and Kings play to a fast pace and Rick Adelman emphasizes high intensity for 48 minutes. I expect the Rockets to win tonight vs SAC, but it won't be a breeze for them.

Additionally, Kevin Martin is the Rockets best offensive player but has scored less points on average against the Suns than against any other team in the NBA (18 career games, 13.2 ppg). In short, I think the Suns are the better team here, and in the better position, making it a strong spot for them.

PorkyPig
    PorkyPig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

this is going to be tight, rockets playing great ball as of late

macoeric
    Update your status
    macoeric's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8059

A gift from the Gods

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

The write-up is pretty good but there a few problems with this play.

Channing Frye who bailed out the suns quite a few times on their recent road trip (2 game winners) is out with a dislocated shoulder for two weeks. They lose their best shooter as of late and one of the main threat of their offense.

Secondly the Suns are back home from a really big road trip, it's not usually a good spot to play a team.

I also disagree with the line you set. -7.5 in a conference game is too much when both teams have been on a good streak. Houston has actually played good defense in the last 4 games, well at least for them.

suicidekings
    Update your status

Frye being out is obviously an issue, but as I say, there have been significant contributions from several players in the Suns' recent hot streak. They have a strong bench that gets involved in every game, so I would argue that the Suns can substitute Pietrus into the starting lineup and spread the additional minutes around among 4-5 players to mitigate the problem. The greatest strengths in their offensive sets have been great ball rotation around the perimeter and solid penetration from their point guards, providing open looks for multiple shooters from mid and long range. Frye has been stepping up lately, but that shouldn't detract from the recent success of the other Suns players.

JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good luck with this play..but.classic go against home after the road trip as paul pointed out

forzuto13
    forzuto13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Screw the no-home-play-after-road trip B.S. Someone tried to lay that cappers' vodoo when I played a heavily publicly favored dog recently, which is supposed to be bad luck too. I see Phoenix winning this. I'd like to see the line more around -3 or -4, but I think they can cover this. Yeah, just hope that they don't have another O.T. game! No Frye to save 'em. Good luck. I got 'em at -2 in a parlay with Lakers -4 and Clippers -1 (who just won).

JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

lOOK AT ALL THE TROUBLE THE BULLS ARE HAVING TONIGHT.....WITH THE HORNETS SHORTHANDED

suicidekings
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
    lOOK AT ALL THE TROUBLE THE BULLS ARE HAVING TONIGHT.....WITH THE HORNETS SHORTHANDED
    The Bulls -10.5 was a totally unreasonable line for that game though... Should have been more like CHI -6 but the Bulls are hot enough right now that the line was steep.

kobstopa
    kobstopa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3520

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    Frye being out is obviously an issue, but as I say, there have been significant contributions from several players in the Suns' recent hot streak. They have a strong bench that gets involved in every game, so I would argue that the Suns can substitute Pietrus into the starting lineup and spread the additional minutes around among 4-5 players to mitigate the problem. The greatest strengths in their offensive sets have been great ball rotation around the perimeter and solid penetration from their point guards, providing open looks for multiple shooters from mid and long range. Frye has been stepping up lately, but that shouldn't detract from the recent success of the other Suns players.
    it is a big issue, not only his clutch play but the height & mismatch
    but Mickael Pietrus is also a big key + consistent from Grant Hill, I think they will need Aaron Brooks big mins who is started to come around & fit in nicely.

suicidekings
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by kobstopa View Post

it is a big issue, not only his clutch play but the height & mismatch
    but Mickael Pietrus is also a big key + consistent from Grant Hill, I think they will need Aaron Brooks big mins who is started to come around & fit in nicely.
    It will be interesting to see which backup PG will be the one to assert himself in this game after being traded between the two teams. I've always been a big fan of Goran Dragic's explosiveness, but I think the trade was more of a net gain for the Suns. Brooks working under Nash is going to be a devastating combo when it all comes together for them.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

I took the -5 bait can't wait to lose tomorrow

demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

The Bulls -10.5 was a totally unreasonable line for that game though... Should have been more like CHI -6 but the Bulls are hot enough right now that the line was steep.
    Without Paul? NO would be under 500 by a lot, i think 10 is not that crazy considering the Bulls home record.

Vulcan300
    Vulcan300's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10108

you think the line will stay or shoot up a half pt after tonights game?

suicidekings
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post

Without Paul? NO would be under 500 by a lot, i think 10 is not that crazy considering the Bulls home record.
    I don't know. NOH being used to playing the slow pace, and being used to playing without Paul didn't make the net effect in this game that severe, IMO. +10.5 is a lot to give to a team that plays their style of game. Regardless, it didn't appeal to me as much as other games tonight so the point is moot. I'm just waiting on my Rockets -4 to hopefully cash tonight, and then it's on to the stellar card for tomorrow. It could be a big night.

demens
    Square -910

I don't know. NOH being used to playing the slow pace, and being used to playing without Paul didn't make the net effect in this game that severe, IMO. +10.5 is a lot to give to a team that plays their style of game. Regardless, it didn't appeal to me as much as other games tonight so the point is moot. I'm just waiting on my Rockets -4 to hopefully cash tonight, and then it's on to the stellar card for tomorrow. It could be a big night.
    What else are you looking at other then the Suns?

suicidekings
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan300 View Post
    you think the line will stay or shoot up a half pt after tonights game?
    If the game tonight were to go to OT or break 230 or so, I could see the PHX play becoming more appealing to a bigger crowd. I can't see big action hitting it overnight, but I think it will close strong tomorrow at game time. I'm not really concerned with line movement on this one. I believe in the play.

QUEST001
    QUEST001's Avatar Become A Pro!

GL on your Suns -5. The trap seems like Hou+5. They seem to be using lots of energy tonight here in SAC.(I live down the street from arena). Biggest trap tomorrow seems like lakers -4.5. Line will be very appealing to public then ticket gets flushed.GL on your plays......

demens
    Square -910

Hide yo kids. Its a TRAP.

larry040681
    larry040681's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3323

is -5 too much to give for the ROCKETS? how many points SUNS will win tom SK? I think w/o Frye, SUNS will have problems.. can't rely that much on Carter...

whadeeb
    whadeeb's Avatar Become A Pro!

everything I got on -5 hehe

suicidekings
    Update your status

I don't understand why the Lakers opened at -3.5 in Atlanta directly after annihilating the best team in the league, and after serving the Hawks when they were in LA for the last game. This game has no appeal to me, as I know the Lakers are the far superior team but the line confuses me and I could never take the Hawks in this spot.

I really like the Pacers -1.5, Cavs/Warriors Over 216, MIA 1Q -2.5/-3 and Cavs ML, in that order.

kidcd
    kidcd's Avatar Become A Pro!

Like the Suns too I hope your right good luck

suicidekings
    Update your status

Hide yo kids. Its a TRAP.
    No trap. But the Lakers already sent the message to the Hawks. Where's the motivation for a beatdown?

kaijunn
    kaijunn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1361

Rockets have been ballin' lately. I like them, but good luck.

Vulcan300
    Vulcan300's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10108

No trap. But the Lakers already sent the message to the Hawks. Where's the motivation for a beatdown?
    i think lakers are making a statement to the league in general from now to the playoffs. phil is getting them ready for his last championship run and i don't see them taking this game light esp against seeded teams. e.g phil putting his starters back in the 4th when he didn't need to last game.

liking the suns and lakers tomorrow for sure, if i'm keeping the my # of plays tight.

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

You like the Pacers? Why?

demens
    Square -910

I'm being facetious in a ghetto way. Dont believe in traps.

Interesting leans. I was leaning the other way on 2 of the games. Philly and GS.

I think the Philly train is slowing down a bit. They won 6/7 but the last few were some close calls against pretty weak teams. Pacers haven't been too impressive lately either though, maybe a no play for me.

But GS i think should be solid. The wheels are about to fall off the Cavs wagon imo, i'm surprised they've kept it together as well as they have since losing Jamison. Davis had a few good games, that'll even out, i think starting tomorrow. Cavs are also rated pretty high in pace, not gonna be pretty if they go that route in this game. Warriors already beat them badly this year. GS has a pretty horrific 8-22 road record but its a little better (6-10) vs u500 teams. They did lose in Minny to start the trip, but they beat the Wolves on the road this year before, also beat the Wiz on this trip too and both these teams are better home teams then the Cavs.

Anyway, bets in too late to go back on it anyway.
    Last edited by demens; 03-07-11 at 11:40 PM.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Solid writeup and analysis SK.

suicidekings
    Update your status

Rockets put up 123 points tonight tonight @SAC while allowing 101. Adelman regulated the minutes for Lowry, Scola, and Martin, knowing that they have a tough game tomorrow, but SAC still made the team run a lot. Pretty much what I expected from tonight.

suicidekings
    Update your status

I'm being facetious in a ghetto way. Dont believe in traps. Interesting leans. I was leaning the other way on 2 of the games. Philly and GS. I think the Philly train is slowing down a bit. They won 6/7 but the last few were some close calls against pretty weak teams. Pacers haven't been too impressive lately either though, maybe a no play for me. But GS i think should be solid. The wheels are about to fall off the Cavs wagon imo, i'm surprised they've kept it together as well as they have since losing Jamison. Davis had a few good games, that'll even out, i think starting tomorrow. Cavs are also rated pretty high in pace, not gonna be pretty if they go that route in this game. Warriors already beat them badly this year. GS has a pretty horrific 8-22 but its a little better (6-10) vs u500 teams. They did lose in Minny to start the trip, but they beat the Wolves on the road this year before, also beat the Wiz on this trip too and both these teams are better home teams then the Cavs. Anyway, bets in too late to go back on it anyway.
    The Cavs ML was primarily because I don't agree with GS being -3.5 faves here. Maybe GS -1.5. I'll likely stick to the Over 216 and not touch the side, as I feel the Over is a lot stronger.

The Pacers are undervalued because the Sixers have been money recently, if against primarily crap teams. Their last 6 games have been against GSW, MIN, DAL, @CLE, DET, WAS. I feel like the oddsmakers have been trending towards setting steep lines on Philly and daring bettors to take them. Making them dogs in Indiana doesn't show a lot of confidence in the Sixers all of a sudden. I feel like Pacers -3.5 would be a more appropriate line. Philadelphia has to be feeling fairly good about making it into the playoffs with a few game lead on the Pacers, and I think Indiana is confident that they're capable of holding on to that #8 spot, but are aware that the Bucks and Bobcats are right on their heels if they falter.

While writing this, I talked myself fully into the play.

Pacers ML (-110) x3
    Last edited by suicidekings; 03-08-11 at 12:01 AM.

suicidekings
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by lyon804 View Post
    Solid writeup and analysis SK.
    Here's hoping for a solid day.

forzuto13
    forzuto13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan300 View Post
    i think lakers are making a statement to the league in general from now to the playoffs. phil is getting them ready for his last championship run and i don't see them taking this game light esp against seeded teams. e.g phil putting his starters back in the 4th when he didn't need to last game.

liking the suns and lakers tomorrow for sure, if i'm keeping the my # of plays tight.
    Agreed. Lakers are not gonna relent since they broke out of the All-Star break and have a message to prove. Plus they will want home court advantage if possible, so every game is an important game. They won't have any B2B after this so their "look ahead" game is not an issue. Atlanta is good at home so Lakers will bring their game.

tshizzle
    tshizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1217

I like the suns in this one.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

Looks like Scola is questionable. Playing the Suns if he's out.

123 Last