Herky
    Herky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4589

Ohio State has been the best team all year.

Herky
    Herky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4589

Quote Originally Posted by doublej95 View Post
    At least our debate here about who is the best team will be settled in the tournament unlike college football.
    dead wrong.

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

Quote Originally Posted by Herky View Post
    dead wrong.
    yeah, i've heard more than enough of that populist at-least-our-sport-has-a-playoff crap over the past 6 months. people don't even think, they just regurgitate manufactured sound bytes from idgits like Skip Bayless and JA Adande and Rick Reilly and Bill Simmons. here's my response: and [insert sport here, other than CFB/CBB] has a regular season that's completely boring and borderline pointless, while CFB has the best regular season in all of sports. the response then is usually unintelligible hodgepodge of money, conspiracy, big schools, un-American and the 2004 Auburn team.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Herky View Post
    dead wrong.
    How so? At least a computer does not pick how plays for the national title.

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

UNC wouldnt win any other big 6 conference

richyrich8478
    richyrich8478's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

i gotta go with kansas being the top team...but i like ohio st also..tough one

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by BettingWizard View Post
    UNC wouldnt win any other big 6 conference
    Not true, they would win Pac-10 easily and would have great shot in SEC.

I do agree that they would not sniff the top in any of the the "Big" conferences though (East, Ten, 12)

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6483

i think this is the year a small cinderella type school will win it all

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

UNC has a chance to make a run to the elite 8 this year. Ohio State is almost a lock to make the final four.

Vinneren
    Vinneren's Avatar Become A Pro!

hey jj get on skype once in awhile pal

BiffTFinancial

How so? At least a computer does not pick how plays for the national title.
    you realize that the computers have almost no influence upon the final rankings and that the human polls are the primary factor, right?:
    http://bcsguru.blogspot.com/2010/09/...en-matter.html

if you want to hate the BCS, be my guest, but the problem lies with giving coaches who are too busy to watch games a vote, not using computer rankings as an ever-diminishing part of the equation. even so, it gets #1 vs #2 right which is the entire point. so what if #4 and #5 should be swapped anyway, they're irrelevant. CFB is about perfection, the only sport that is about perfection.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTFinancial View Post

you realize that the computers have almost no influence upon the final rankings and that the human polls are the primary factor, right?:
    http://bcsguru.blogspot.com/2010/09/...en-matter.html

if you want to hate the BCS, be my guest, but the problem lies with giving coaches who are too busy to watch games a vote, not using computer rankings as an ever-diminishing part of the equation. even so, it gets #1 vs #2 right which is the entire point. so what if #4 and #5 should be swapped anyway, they're irrelevant. CFB is about perfection, the only sport that is about perfection.

It's about perfection?

2010 Auburn 14-0 NC, TCU 13-0 Did not play for Title
    2009 Alabama 14-0 NC, Boise St 14-0 Did not play for Title
    2008 Florida 13-1 NC, Utah 13-0 Did not play for Title
    2007 LSU 12-2 NC, Kansas 12-1 Closer to perfection
    2006 Florida 13-1 NC, Boise St 13-0 Did not play for title
    2005 Texas 13-0 NC, No other team undefeated.
    2004 USC 13-0 NC, Utah 12-0 Did not play for Title

So if the sport is based on perfection than Texas is the only out right National Champion the past seven years. If it's about perfection then the undefeated teams at the end of the season should be playing for the Championship right? The college football bowl system and crowning of a Champion is a joke and will be till a playoff system is installed to give everyone a fair shot at the title.

blackbart
    blackbart's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20649

i like texas, everyone forgot about them

BiffTFinancial

It's about perfection?

2010 Auburn 14-0 NC, TCU 13-0 Did not play for Title
    2009 Alabama 14-0 NC, Boise St 14-0 Did not play for Title
    2008 Florida 13-1 NC, Utah 13-0 Did not play for Title
    2007 LSU 12-2 NC, Kansas 12-1 Closer to perfection
    2006 Florida 13-1 NC, Boise St 13-0 Did not play for title
    2005 Texas 13-0 NC, No other team undefeated.
    2004 USC 13-0 NC, Utah 12-0 Did not play for Title

So if the sport is based on perfection than Texas is the only out right National Champion the past seven years. If it's about perfection then the undefeated teams at the end of the season should be playing for the Championship right? The college football bowl system and crowning of a Champion is a joke and will be till a playoff system is installed to give everyone a fair shot at the title.
    hogwash. two years ago, TCU, Boise and Cincy had no business getting tickets to watch the national title, much less play in it. you choose the two most perfect teams that season and match them together, that's it. the only playoff i could support is a springing/optional plus-one that would be used in certain season (say, 2004 or maybe maybe maybe this year) and not others (most of them, like Bama/Texas). good luck creating an objective formula that figures that out without computers. and then, the argument will be over 4 vs 5. it goes on forever and the sport can only be played once a week. the BCS rules because it makes CFB regular season the best in sports, period. every team that would be in the 5+ range had a chance at the title and lost it (e.g., Ohio State and Stanford this year are perfect examples) or didn't merit discussion (Boise). until you can propose a workable solution, the BCS could care less if you like it or not. you're still watching and it's still one of the two best sports there is along with CBB. you can't logistically play some four or five week tournament in CFB, and who's pining to see Clemson or A&M get a shot at the title anyway? the number of injuries would be catastrophic.

if Utah and Boise and Kansas are your arguments, you don't have any arguments. those teams are sorry and would be better served a plus-one at most. name the last time Boise or Utah played three straight real games, and Humboldt State doesn't count. if all you have to do is sweep the regular season against a crappy schedule, maybe Bama should transfer to the Sun Belt and go 13-0 every year and play for the title. anything else is out of some queer fantasy league concept that ignores reality. sure, who wouldn't want a 64-team tournament in CFB, but that's pie-eyed nonsense. we don't need a playoff to tell is that Oregon or Auburn is better than the #8 team.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Biff your first point was college football is about perfection. Well there are teams that do finish the season undefeated and have no shot at playing for the title. Who know's if they could win it or not if they never have a chance to play for it. Take last year in the college basketball tourny, Kentucky and Kansas are clear cut favorites for the national title. Neither one made it, the little guy beat them. They actually play the games and just don't say the top two media hyped teams are playing for the championship. Let me ask you this biff has a number one ranked football team lost to a lower ranked team? lost to a unranked team? If you answer yes than a #8 team can be better than Auburn or Oregon if they are given the chance to play them.

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

OSU is the best team in the nation. 2 losses on the road where nobody wins. Osu and Pitt would be a great title game with tremendous guard play. And as a big Duke fan, there only shot is if Kyrie makes some sort of miraculous return.

Mr. Peepers
    Mr. Peepers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Ohio State will be tough to beat..playing very well right now..Great game inside and out

Congruency
    Congruency's Avatar Become A Pro!

First time I have agreed with JJ.

UNC will go far. They are young but have a solid all around team.

To the people who have said they have no road wins, they have been a completely different team with Marshall at the point. With Marshall starting at PG their only loss was at Duke, which was very close. That loss was more impressive than some of their wins.

headhunter34
    headhunter34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 559

dont forget about kansas. they have good depth and potential star players in the morris bros and selby

Roxxyfish
    finally i am on skype
    Roxxyfish's Avatar Become A Pro!

I ll stick with Kansas

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Kansas
    Who can hang 90 points on most teams on any given night.
    My choice.

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

UNC is pretty good at close game, but OSU and Kansas are much better overall.

POTVINSUX
    POTVINSUX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 602

I believe Purdue has a solid chance to win the dance this yr

ClayMaker5252
    ClayMaker5252's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 457

OSU is the best team in the country by far

underthe total
    under
    underthe total's Avatar Become A Pro!

i like pittsburgh to win it

james4512
    james4512's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 139

i feel bad for whatever #2 seed has to play oakland, they will make a sweet 16 run maybe elite 8

5ammy
    5ammy's Avatar Become A Pro!

UNC will need a soft bracket to go far into the tournament. OSU will go far regardless

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTFinancial View Post
    yeah, i've heard more than enough of that populist at-least-our-sport-has-a-playoff crap over the past 6 months. people don't even think, they just regurgitate manufactured sound bytes from idgits like Skip Bayless and JA Adande and Rick Reilly and Bill Simmons. here's my response: and [insert sport here, other than CFB/CBB] has a regular season that's completely boring and borderline pointless, while CFB has the best regular season in all of sports. the response then is usually unintelligible hodgepodge of money, conspiracy, big schools, un-American and the 2004 Auburn team.

The college football regular season is fun to watch but it is certainly not the best regular season in all of sports. The power house schools are afraid to schedule each other. In basketball we get pre-season tourny and power schools will play each other in the regular season b/c they know it's not the end of the world if they lose.

College football is nothing more than a glorified popularity contest. Atleast the Big 10 gets a championship game next year to help level the playing field.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

JJ do you fade the black HC in Basket ball also???

james4512

also if jamie dixon didnt coach pitt id take them to win it, jamie is strictly a regular season coach

EasyHustlin
    EasyHustlin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

Quote Originally Posted by james4512 View Post
    i feel bad for whatever #2 seed has to play oakland, they will make a sweet 16 run maybe elite 8
    They are 1-7 against RPI top 100.

Chandler
    Chandler's Avatar Become A Pro!

thing is more wide open than ever

james4512

Quote Originally Posted by EasyHustlin View Post
    They are 1-7 against RPI top 100.
    out of the 8 game how many were at home? 0
    How many were true road game? 8
    are you an idiot? Yes

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Look I hate UNC, and when I say hate, I'm under-selling it (graduated from NCSU), but even I've got to admit they look real dangerous right now. They will give any of the #1 seeds a run for their money. They should be able to beat Notre Dame and Pitt fairly easy. Ohio State and KU would be tougher outs, but not impossible. Obviously they've shown they can beat Duke.

UNC is young at the point and the wings, but their front court is stellar, which is often the key come tournament time when the games slow down into grind 'em out mode. UNC's biggest flaw is coaching. Roy Williams is not a great in game coach. Never has been. He's lucky Larry Drew made it easier for him by bailing out of the program, otherwise UNC wouldn't have won the ACC.

I think this team could just as easily win the whole damn thing as bow out in the second round. Just like most teams, it all depends on match-ups. UNC has shown they can be victimized rather easily by teams with decent outside shooting or aggressive physical defense. Any number of teams in the tournament fit this description outside of the top 4 (Wisconsin, Purdue, Texas, Arizona, St. John's, etc)

UNC has the talent. They have the size, the speed, the shooting, the athleticism. But do they have the mental aspect? I personally don't think they are mentally tough enough. Harrison Barnes has hit some big shots in clutch moments, but he disappears at times. Henson and Zeller can't create their own shot. Which means it comes down to Marshall. He reminds me of Deron Williams. Not that quick, not that great of a shooter, but he just know how to make plays. Wait for the match-ups before pegging down UNC one way or the other.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    They are overvalued.

UNC should have won that game @Duke, but predictably Duke was bailed out by the refs. Shooting 20 FT's in the 2ndH alone.

+4.5. I would consider that a gift.
    Yeah, bailed out by the refs, that's why Duke shot exactly ONE more FT than UNC in the whole damned game despite the fact UNC was fouling at the end.

I'm so sick and tired of this Duke gets all the damned calls bullshit.

Look, EVERY FUKKING TEAM IN THE TOP 10 GETS CALLS AT HOME. It is a statistical fact. It's not just Duke.

I don't remember the numbers exactly, but just about every Final Four team in the last 20 years has averaged about 7-8 more FT's taken per game than their opponent. And Duke didn't even have the biggest gap. UNC/UCONN/TEXAS/MEMPHIS/UK have all had seasons where FT shooting favored them far better than it did Duke.

Quit your bitching.

First 123 Last