3PtShooter
    3PtShooter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16221

BYU = canned ham

what a shame, might have been the story of the year

MarlinsFan2212
    MarlinsFan2212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Could of been a great year, but I think any chance BYU had is gone. Wonder where Davies will transfer.

bornselling
    bornselling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

potential Final Four chances

drfunkmaster
    printing it
    drfunkmaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1065

What no coffee!!?!?!?!?

5ammy
    5ammy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well, that's what happens when you play for a school with rules like BYU.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    If its not Fredette, doesn't matter
    Good call, guy clearly wasn't missed tonight

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19456

darrell74

Party in Albuquerque!!!!!!

We get shit faced all night and drink our coffee in the morning to get back to work.
    Unlike those faggy Mormons in Utah.

BigMama
    BigMama's Avatar Become A Pro!

great day for all

matthewsg
    matthewsg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    Good call, guy clearly wasn't missed tonight
    Nice!

Hall2Collie
    Hall2Collie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    Of course they'd kick the one brother off the team.
    BYU still has a black player on the team and has signed another two for next year.

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

BYU is done stick a fork in them. They will never have an elite program or win a championship because they don't have a "winning attitude" a guy can't have sex with his gf??? craziness.

flipside2469
    flipside2469's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 278

Who gives a sht about this guy? GO LOBOS!!!!

EasyHustlin
    EasyHustlin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

Quote Originally Posted by darrell74 View Post
    Party in Albuquerque!!!!!!

We get shit faced all night and drink our coffee in the morning to get back to work.
    Unlike those faggy Mormons in Utah.
    And have lots of premarital sex. Don't forget about that one.

30K Millionaire
    Fade Yourself
    30K Millionaire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 592

Now Davies can have all the sex he wants

Casperwaits
    West Side Story
    Casperwaits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

The loss last night for BYU was as much NM game style and the letdown factor after the big San Diego State win. If the controversy hadn't happened, them losing last night would have been a shrug of the shoulders and a "no big deal". This team is to solid to be so effected by the release of Davies that they won't go deep in the tourney. In a year where there is no clear cut #1 team, they are just as good as any other top 10 team even without Davies.

flipside2469
    flipside2469's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 278

Quote Originally Posted by Casperwaits View Post
    The loss last night for BYU was as much NM game style and the letdown factor after the big San Diego State win. If the controversy hadn't happened, them losing last night would have been a shrug of the shoulders and a "no big deal". This team is to solid to be so effected by the release of Davies that they won't go deep in the tourney. In a year where there is no clear cut #1 team, they are just as good as any other top 10 team even without Davies.
    Not sure where you were getting at here. But I agree they are a good team, with or without Davies. Are they a little worse off now because their top rebounder is now gone?...of course. It's the first game without him, whatever, they should've played the Lobos hard without him...especially in Provo. Don't forget, Provo's a tough place to play in. We beat BYU at The Pit, and we beat BYU at Provo. We just exposed BYU to the world last night. Everyone will take notes, and sorry, with everything else, I don't see them going 'deep in the tourney', whatever 'deep' means.

It shouldn't be, 'Dang, BYU lost to UNM, without that Davies guy!' UNM is a pretty good team too, just not as good as last year. It's not a huge upset like people make it out to be. It's not like Urkel fukkin knocked out MikeTyson, ok?....I'm just putting this in perspective.

darrell74

Listening to sports talk and it's so disgraceful to hear all the whiney little Mormon brats about how they lost.

I love it.

Great day in Albuquerque!!!
    Coffee taste great today.

zephyr
    zephyr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 581

Does his pregnant girlfriend have to wear a burqa now? Does Davies have to wear a big red "A" on his chest when he goes to class? Do they do public stonings in the quad?

Bones402
    Bones402's Avatar Become A Pro!

These kinda schools are more prevalent than you think maybe not so much in D! but theyre out there and people who go to these kinds of places are a little less than all there imo

Rixsaw
    Rixsaw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyburrito View Post
    they sure love marriage, from wiki: Compared to most universities, the marriage rate at BYU is much higher. In 2005, 22% of the student population was married......
    They don't love marriage. It's the only way they can get laid without getting kicked out.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

No kidding- the guy can't have sex w/ his girlfriend, but he can have multiple wives.

This will cost BYU their season, their future blue chip recruits and probably cost Mitt Romney the GOP nomination- naturally people will bring up or question his Mormon faith and it's relavance in todays world.

zephyr
    zephyr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 581

Sad part is that the guy has a child on the way, and his university is making his life, and the lives of his girlfriend and little unborn baby, very difficult. Shameful.

Maxmillion
    Maxmillion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4400

the guy is a good player so I am sure if BYU does not want him back he will wind up at a good program if he wants to keep playing ball.

Maxmillion
    Maxmillion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4400

i guess word is someone snitched on him

polskboy
    polskboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 434

they throw you out from a team for having sex???

shabaz mirza
    shabaz mirza's Avatar Become A Pro!

BYU hoops: Cougars look to pick up pieces

BYU basketball coach Dave Rose’s next task just might be the most difficult of his six-year tenure: Keep a season that just five days ago was being called the best in school history from spiraling downward.

Wednesday night’s 82-64 loss to New Mexico still fresh in their minds, the 27-3 Cougars did not practice on Thursday. Rose gave them the day off from the hardwoods to rest, heal and take care of some personal matters.

In a news conference appearance with athletic director Tom Holmoe and BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins in which the officials discussed the honor code and the recent dismissal of star center Brandon Davies, Rose said he met individually with players on Thursday afternoon.

A team meeting was scheduled for Thursday evening.

Players were not made available for interviews, despite the fact that seniors Jackson Emery, Jimmer Fredette and Logan Magnusson will be playing their final game at the Marriott Center on Saturday when the Cougars play host to Wyoming (1:30 p.m., The Mtn.)

After scoring 25 of his team’s 33 second-half points against the Lobos, Fredette said the Cougars “will be all right” several times in Wednesday’s postgame news conference.

“We just have to pull together. I think we are going to be all right,” he said, referencing the dismissal of Davies. “We just didn’t play well tonight. ... We are going to be fine. Tonight was a tough game for us. Lots of teams come off big emotional games, then lose the next one, regardless of whether they have all their players or not.”

After riddling San Diego State last week with a barrage of 3-pointers, Charles Abouo and Noah Hartsock combined to go 1 of 10 from the field, including 0 of 5 from 3-point range.

CMNoney
    CMNoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6389

BYU is done. I expect them to be out first weekend. UNLV will win the Mountain West tourney.

Reno Paul
    Reno Paul's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2763

BYU star player suspended for having premarital sex

Pretty harsh I would say.

Brandon Davies suspended from BYU basketball team for honor code violation

Video
    BYU's Brandon Davies suspended for sex
    Brigham Young University has suspended Brandon Davies, one of its star basketball players, from the team after it was discovered that he had premarital sex with his girlfriend, a violation of the student honor code.
    » LAUNCH VIDEO PLAYER

Compiled by Ian Saleh
    Washington Post Staff
    Friday, March 4, 2011; 8:39 AM

BYU basketball player Brandon Davies was suspended for violating the school's honor code. As Cindy Boren reported:
    At other schools, Brandon Davies might have been high fived. At Brigham Young University, he was suspended from the nation's third-ranked basketball team because he admitted to violating the school's honor code by having sexual relations with his girlfriend.
    An honor code is an honor code and the one at BYU, a private school affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, requires students to "live a chaste and virtuous life." Students are also required to be honest; abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse; and attend church regularly. Davies will be suspended from the team for the rest of the season and, according to BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins, his future at the school has yet to be determined.
    "Everybody who comes to BYU, every student if they're an athlete or not an athlete, they make a commitment when they come," BYU Coach Dave Rose said, adding that he thought Davies would play again for the team. "A lot of people try to judge if this is right or wrong, but it's a commitment they make. It's not about right or wrong. It's about commitment."
    While many thought the penalty harsh, Tracee Hamilton explained that breaking the rules will always have consequences:
    Of course, I never agreed to follow these rules, then or now. Sophomore forward Brandon Davies did, as do all students who attend BYU. Once you agree to follow the rules and you don't, you suffer the consequences. The consequences lesson is one of those important life lessons that don't appear on a college syllabus.
    Davies's consequences are particularly painful, and not just for Davies: He has been kicked off the basketball team for the rest of the season - and what a season it was shaping up to be. The Cougars were ranked No. 3 in the country and in the running for a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Without Davies, they lost at home Wednesday night to unranked New Mexico, and the dream of a top seed is over.

Davies apparently violated the second rule by having premarital sex with his girlfriend, according to the Salt Lake Tribune. That falls under the "chaste and virtuous life" rule, which is sufficiently vague enough to cover a multitude of sins.
    As On Faith panelist Michael Otterson observed, it is admirable that BYU stuck to its principles:
    It was interesting to read about another BYU athlete's reaction to all of this. Former BYU football star Reno Mahe suffered a similar tough lesson in 1998 after an honor code violation got him dropped from the football program.
    "I've always shared this with people, that it was probably one of the best things that had happened to me," he told the Deseret News in Salt Lake City. "I appreciate what BYU did to me. I appreciate the honor code and what it stands for. I appreciate that they enforce it. You get a lot of schools that say they have codes, but I don't think anyone enforces it like BYU does.... It's a great school. It's a one-of-a-kind school." As everyone knows, Reno went back to BYU and ended up playing in the NFL.
    BYU is a one-of-a-kind school. But it's not the only school with principles or honor codes. And wouldn't it be a good thing if such principles and standards were so well and routinely enthroned that when they were applied in cases of honor code violations, they didn't generate coast to coast publicity.

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

Old news but this is such bullshit I swear to God how could you go to college and not have sex???

Thats all I did in college...

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

bout time a college stands up to these thugs and shows em the door. They have a standard there at BYU that most wouldn't understand and if they show star treatment the whole process falls apart. Good for them by doing the right thing.

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

I think it is harse but those are the rules of the University. Not quite sure why people would see something as harse simply because it doesn't fit their Worldview.

darren125
    darren125's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I'm sure they all have sex but you can never prove it...until someone gets pregnant.

Counterfeit Cash
    Bets the under 95% of the time...
    Counterfeit Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 277

I'm not gonna knock the policy, but I can guarantee that they will lose more quality recruits in the future because of this coming to light the way it is.

Morally correct or not, it's gonna cost BYU in the end. That said, i'm sure the code is much more important than the sport anyway, so it won't matter to them. I'll at least commend them for sticking to their guns.

FrozenMAN
    2020 Big Ten CHAMPS!
    FrozenMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4112

now they wont get that #1 seed which they were SOMEHOW worthy of receiving???? team is trash

First 12345 Last