dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38325

How much should you wager per bet of your bankroll?

Hey guys. I been betting sports for many years though I'm a loser overall.

I read online that many people say the maximum one should wager per game is 5% of your bankroll and that is a lot. But i see the majority of people say average bet should be somewhere between 2-3%? Would you guys agree on this? I hear people say pro's on the other hand should wager 1% of their bankroll per bet? Is this true?

Another question i have is if one person bets 1-3 games per day as oppose to 4-6 games per games, shouldn't the person who bets more games per day have their bet sizes per game smaller?

Another question i have is when someone says every bet they make is 2% of their bankroll, do they mean 2% of what they would win or what they would win plus the juice. For example to make it simple, if a person's bankroll is $10,000. If he is betting 2%, is that including the juice or not? Because whenever i bet, i always bet to win a flat amount such as 220 to win 200 etc and not 200 to win 181 or something like that.

But when you say 2% of bankroll, lets just make it simple and say you bet -110 lines for now. Would your bankroll need to be $10,000 or $11,000. Because if you have $10,000, then losing each bet is 220 and that is 2.2% of your bankroll and not 2%. And do you guys have a strategy where like the moment your bankroll goes down to a certain number, then you bet smaller? Of course, if you bet bigger, you would be chasing and chances are you will go broke. This happened to me numerous times few years ago and don't want it to happen again.

With say a $10,000 bankroll, if you are betting $200 per game, how much would you need before increasing bet size to $300. Would it be $15,000 since $300 is 2% of $15,000. And how much would you have to lose before you drop your bet size to $150, $100 etc? Would you say the moment you drop from $10,000 to $8,000 which is a 20% loss of your bankroll, the moment you should bet smaller? What is a good number?

I know overbetting is a bad idea since its risky. Like if you had $10,000 bankroll and bet $1000 per game, chances are you going to be broke since you are betting 10% of your bankroll per game and that is how i went broke many times the last few years betting sports. But would you guys say underbetting is really bad? Such as if you had a $10,000 bankroll and you are only betting let say $50 per game. Wouldn't that be bad? I read online that there is something like this but it is called bankroll nit where a person is scared and bets very small and never takes chances. Is that worst than overbetting?

biggie12
    biggie12's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1252

Quote Originally Posted by dynamite140 View Post
    Hey guys. I been betting sports for many years though I'm a loser overall.

I read online that many people say the maximum one should wager per game is 5% of your bankroll and that is a lot. But i see the majority of people say average bet should be somewhere between 2-3%? YES upto 5%

Another question i have is if one person bets 1-3 games per day as oppose to 4-6 games per games, shouldn't the person who bets more games per day have their bet sizes per game smaller? Why would you think that?

Anotheifr question i have is when someone says every bet they make is 2% of their bankroll, do they mean 2% of what they would win or what they would win plus the juice. For example to make it simple, if a person's bankroll is $10,000. If he is betting 2%, is that including the juice or not? Because whenever i bet, i always bet to win a flat amount such as 220 to win 200 etc and not 200 to win 181 or something like that.

But when you say 2% of bankroll, lets just make it simple and say you bet -110 lines for now. Would your bankroll need to be $10,000 or $11,000. Because if you have $10,000, then losing each bet is 220 and that is 2.2% of your bankroll and not 2%. And do you guys have a strategy where like the moment your bankroll goes down to a certain number, then you bet smaller? Obviously you would decrease your bet if you are sticking to betting a % Of course, if you bet bigger, you would be chasing and chances are you will go broke. This happened to me numerous times few years ago and don't want it to happen again.

With say a $10,000 bankroll, if you are betting $200 per game, how much would you need before increasing bet size to $300. Would it be $15,000 since $300 is 2% of $15,000. And how much would you have to lose before you drop your bet size to $150, $100 etc? Would you say the moment you drop from $10,000 to $8,000 which is a 20% loss of your bankroll, the moment you should bet smaller? What is a good number? 10% loss is a good time to cut down.

I know overbetting is a bad idea since its risky. Like if you had $10,000 bankroll and bet $1000 per game, chances are you going to be broke since you are betting 10% of your bankroll per game and that is how i went broke many times the last few years betting sports. But would you guys say underbetting is really bad? Such as if you had a $10,000 bankroll and you are only betting let say $50 per game. Wouldn't that be bad? I read online that there is something like this but it is called bankroll nit where a person is scared and bets very small and never takes chances. Is that worst than overbetting?
    If you can't hit 54% long run betting flat, doesnt matter what you do you can not succeed. i answered ur questions in bold kinda tired might of missed one was lot to read

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by biggie12 View Post
    If you can't hit 54% long run betting flat, doesnt matter what you do you can not succeed. i answered ur questions in bold kinda tired might of missed one was lot to read
    53% is good enough

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

You should be betting 100%... Anything else and you're leaving money on the table

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

2% to 3 %

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

2% usually is best and will keep you in the game

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

2% is probably realistic if you are playing with $10k

if you are playing with $1k then making $20 bets is recreational only

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    2% is probably realistic if you are playing with $10k

if you are playing with $1k then making $20 bets is recreational only
    If I don't have the patience to play good money strategy with 1k, I'm unlikely to keep the 10k bankroll for long anyway imho.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you play good money strategy with 1k, then you will likely never reach a 10k BR

jayc88
    Update your status
    jayc88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1151

if you are betting 100 + games a week i wouldnt risk more than 1% on your bets.
    If you only bet a few games each day 2-5 % sounds about right.

Statman
    Statman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2709

3% to 5% is usually the mainstay for me. Sometimes however, I do make mistakes in betting more once I know I'm getting close to achieving the rollover. However, I've become better as of late by utilizing exchanges like Matchbook where the rollover is not an issue and the juice is much better.

adlai
    adlai's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap dat 4ss View Post
    You should be betting 100%... Anything else and you're leaving money on the table
    that's the spirit. +1

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

Familiarize yourself with the Kelly Criterion, that should at bare minimum give you a starting point to work out wht fits for you

tenbas
    tenbas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3855

Pros wagger 0,1-0,5%.
    At least those I know.
    If you gotta pay the bills you won't mess around with 2% of entire bankroll, LOL.

But you are not pro and you don't have to pay bills so 2% is just fine.

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11782

3 to 5% on 2 to 5 picks. it you are betting more teams, then cut it to 2%

Casperwaits
    West Side Story
    Casperwaits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

3% is what some of the guys in Vegas I know bet a game. I am not a pro, so I cannot speak for myself.

Power Play
    Power Play's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kind of depend on your bankroll size and your hit percentage. If you can hit over 55% long term over 1000 plays -110 styles (in other words you're an elite capper) you can bet 2% per roll safely. If you hit only around 53 percent (probably most winning cappers still the minority of the gambling population) you should not bet more than 1% or variance will dominate at some point. Remember that many gamblers overestimate their hit rate. Also if you have a large roll (over $100,000) you really should not bet more than 1% per bet in any situation. Good luck!

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

screw the mm if you want to win big you need to take some shots now and then..

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

Quote Originally Posted by obamaismyuncle View Post
    screw the mm if you want to win big you need to take some shots now and then..
    Sure, if you also don't mind re-depositing regularly.

Chasing the big win is for perpetual losers. But it is a LOT easier than deciding to win consistently, as that takes self discipline.