Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

Paying Taxes On Your Winnings

I was just looking to see from some of the players how they organize themselves when they file a tax return on their winnings. I want to try, and be as organized as possible, so if I get an audit, I'm prepared. Also, when you file taxes on income, do you count the income you received over the year, or do you count the money you received, plus what's sitting in you offshore account. Any info would be great!

Thanks,
    KLC

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

I guess either no one reports their winnings to the IRS, or nobody gets any winnings.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Why would you report winnings from unregulated companies ?

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

Because it's illegal if one doesn't........that's why.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    All it takes is one audit, and a couple of mistakes for all hell to break loose. I've always believed to keep the horses in the barn, instead of letting them run out, and having to round them up later. Oh yeah, plus my wife told me to.

do5000
    do5000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 681

are you living in the USA?

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by do5000 View Post
    are you living in the USA?
    Yep.

txmagnolia2
    txmagnolia2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

My winnings play for vacations so no reporting for me.

BrentCrude
    BrentCrude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

If you did have a brain fart and paid taxes on your winnings even though most years you lose money gambling and couldn't report that because offshore gambling losses weren't a legitimate deduction,where would your tax dollars go?Rat hole?Sh&t hole?I don't believe in that collectivist talk like us,we,and ours when it comes to much of any part of being a USA citizen but if I were to include myself in saying we,I would say WE as a country are in a sh^t load of deep do do.

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by BrentCrude View Post
    If you did have a brain fart and paid taxes on your winnings even though most years you lose money gambling and couldn't report that because offshore gambling losses weren't a legitimate deduction,where would your tax dollars go?Rat hole?Sh&t hole?I don't believe in that collectivist talk like us,we,and ours when it comes to much of any part of being a USA citizen but if I were to include myself in saying we,I would say we as a country WE are in a sh^t load of deep do do.
    Yes, the USA will be toast within a few years in all liklihood.

Why I'm not moving out of this country is beyond me.

WeinketoWarrick
    Update your status
    WeinketoWarrick's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have no intentions of claiming anything.

If I get audited I'll just say anything that's been put in my account is offset by lotto ticket and horse track losses. Hard enough to win with the juice, why pay half of what you might get lucky enough to win to the federal gubmint?

Cabo
    Cabo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22747

I think the IRS would like for you to report your gross winnings as income, then take your gross losses as a deduction.

southpaw74
    southpaw74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 494

Anyone paying taxes on gambling is crazy. They steal enough in "traditional" taxes.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Cabo View Post
    I think the IRS would like for you to report your gross winnings as income, then take your gross losses as a deduction.
    I've read that in a couple of articles. From what I understand, its recommended to keep your daily records, and even if the money is still in your book, you have to count it as earned income.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They are not usa companies therefore you should never report anything

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

i can't believe anyone would worry about paying taxes on gambling winnings through an offshore book. no one cares and no one could possibly find out. why do it? everyone loses anyway so its moot. the govt. is as crooked as the day is long anyway. you will never be audited for this. it is unproveable and only a fool would actually declare winnings other than horse race winnings which a form was handed to you for a 600.00 win or more.

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    i can't believe anyone would worry about paying taxes on gambling winnings through an offshore book. no one cares and no one could possibly find out. why do it? everyone loses anyway so its moot. the govt. is as crooked as the day is long anyway. you will never be audited for this. it is unproveable and only a fool would actually declare winnings other than horse race winnings which a form was handed to you for a 600.00 win or more.

So JOHN DOUGH cashes over $100,000 in checks at his bank and he refuses to pay taxes.............good luck to Mr. Dough.

Let me know how that works out for him.

FuzzyDunlop
    Poster of the Month October 2015
    FuzzyDunlop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

I've been playing online poker since 2002, betting sports online since 2009 and this opinion could not be more incorrect.

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
    I've been playing online poker since 2002, betting sports online since 2009 and this opinion could not be more incorrect.

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

you're already breaking the law. why bother to pay taxes

falconticket
    falconticket's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1762

Quote Originally Posted by pico View Post
    Which law?

nyed1010
    nyed1010's Avatar Become A Pro!

, there's only like 2-3 people in player's talk that even have to worry about this. The rest of you degens need to be worrying less about taxes and caring more about how you're going to pay off your gambling debts.

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by pico View Post

PingPong
    I need a job
    PingPong's Avatar Become A Pro!

lol no one here has "winnings"

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

I've had some horse racing scores that I had to report, but if you pick up enough dead tickets to offset them, you can write it off.

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
    I've had some horse racing scores that I had to report, but if you pick up enough dead tickets to offset them, you can write it off.

Keep a diary, much easier than picking tickets off the floor.

Yi
    Yi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Is there a certain threshold where below a certain net amount it's okay to not pay?

Also anyone have a nice link to a thread on sbr that gives advice on paying tax for online sports gambling?

FuzzyDunlop
    Poster of the Month October 2015
    FuzzyDunlop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61
    Points Awarded:

Yi gave FuzzyDunlop 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Mr KLC gave FuzzyDunlop 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

Its illegal to gamble but you want to report it for tax purposes.
    Bend over and lube up buddy.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Have you been going by these rules since you started doing on line poker, Fuzzy? If so, have you done this through a tax professional? Have you encountered any audits? Just curious. I normally do my taxes through Turbotax, but I think I might need to do them in person with H&R Block or someone else if I'm fortunate to have the problem of filing gambling income next year.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

fuzzy dunlop must feel like the countries biggest fool. voluntarily paying taxes on gambling winnings which are untraceable. there is no way it can be found out unless you tell them by actually reporting it on your income. total idiot.

Fishhead

fuzzy dunlop must feel like the countries biggest fool. voluntarily paying taxes on gambling winnings which are untraceable. there is no way it can be found out unless you tell them by actually reporting it on your income. total idiot.
    You are 110% wrong........maybe 149%

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is a very uneducated argument.

The IRS can audit anyone at anytime for any reason dating back 3 years, if they were to audit ones bank account and see $50,000 plus of unanswered for income you will not only owe what you should have paid but also interest , late fees, and penalties with possible criminal prosecution.

What the OP is referring to is players who make the equivalent of a salary in winnings, if you are the type of player who considers a big winning year $10,000 I would not be very concerned with this issue.

Cantstopmenow
    Cantstopmenow's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you are betting offshore... keep your money offshore

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by sharpcat View Post
    This is a very uneducated argument.

The IRS can audit anyone at anytime for any reason dating back 3 years, if they were to audit ones bank account and see $50,000 plus of unanswered for income you will not only owe what you should have paid but also interest , late fees, and penalties with possible criminal prosecution.

What the OP is referring to is players who make the equivalent of a salary in winnings, if you are the type of player who considers a big winning year $10,000 I would not be very concerned with this issue.

12 Last