demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Quote Originally Posted by lyon804 View Post
    Demens I would be excited getting Williams also but your team is still far from relevance at this time. Who knows how Williams even plays or reacts. If I was him I would not be thrilled.
    I think they can pressure him to sign an ext. before the new CBA kind of like Melo. You gotta admit though, even though i was cursing Prokhys name all day yesterday and calling him a fraud, the Nets came through BIG TIME on this.

After being made look like fools with whipping on Lebron and then Melo, they hit a home run on the 3rd swing. I was pissed about the misses and was thinking the guy is all talk, loud promises and no results. But NOW the Nets got the superstar they wanted and needed badly. The guy kept saying we have plan A, plan B, plan C and so on. Not that i think this was planned but they saw an opportunity and took it.

They can also keep him if the NBA introduces a franchise tag which is a real possibility. Even though now, i dont even want that. I think they can sell him on Brooklyn, once you have that 1st star the rest will come, its getting that 1st guy that is the hardest, now DWIll can rep the Nets and recruit the others. You thin Melo would be jumping at the Knicks if Amare wasn't already there, i doubt it. Reason i dont want the franchise tag now is cause Magic will certainly use that on Howard and i think Nets are now in a position to make a legit run at him in 2012 on their way to BK. They have assets and picks left over to trade away bad deals and get enough under the cap to do that, Knicks DONT!

The price was steep, i admit it, but this is totally worth it. I dont know if you saw the other proposed rumors for Harris but they were AWFUL! This is a great deal for NJ, especially considering they pulled it completely out of their asses when things were looking as bad as they possibly could. It'd take too long to explain the situation with Harris but that and the Melo outcome makes this trade an absolute steal. Lets just say its darkest before dawn applies here 100%, Prokhy loud talk finally delivers something!

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9082

Quote Originally Posted by YorkHunt View Post
    The west is falling apart. Lakers, Spurs, maybe Mavs, and the Thunder are the 4 main teams now.
    agreeed

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    He is a unrestricted free agent next year. Looks like the Nets are unloading their current roster.

What should be a red flag is how willing the Nets are to trade their 1st round pick, Derrick Favors. I think you are a top 5 pick, we should be hearing something positive about your development. I forgot he was even drafted this year, until I saw georgia tech get pummeled by Maryland @home.

All good points. I know this ain't the popular thing to do but the Nets would have probably been better suited to stand pat and do nothing. I think that would have given them the best chance of being relevant in the future. Now, most likely after this season they are back to square 1 if they can't sign Williams and have lost trade assets. I am sure they are going to offer Williams an extension and must feel he will sign it. That is the only thing that makes since because if he walks the trade was just a bad idea. But sometimes these deals happen in huge media markets because of pressure. With the assets the Nets had with good scouting and player development they could have made some strides within the next 2-3 yrs and then got a missing piece via free agency or a trade. This looks like a huge gamble and the worst trade if Williams walks, but I guess they know something we don't about Williams possible signing an extension due to the new CBA up coming.

Austin103
    Austin103's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yup, it's legit.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7178

Wow the Jazz are going downhill quickly.

Jimmy0607
    Jimmy0607's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

Wow good trade for the nets

lyon804

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
    I think they can pressure him to sign an ext. before the new CBA kind of like Melo. You gotta admit though, even though i was cursing Prokhys name all day yesterday and calling him a fraud, the Nets came through BIG TIME on this.

After being made look like fools with whipping on Lebron and then Melo, they hit a home run on the 3rd swing. I was pissed about the misses and was thinking the guy is all talk, loud promises and no results. But NOW the Nets got the superstar they wanted and needed badly. The guy kept saying we have plan A, plan B, plan C and so on. Not that i think this was planned but they saw an opportunity and took it.

They can also keep him if the NBA introduces a franchise tag which is a real possibility. Even though now, i dont even want that. I think they can sell him on Brooklyn, once you have that 1st star the rest will come, its getting that 1st guy that is the hardest, now DWIll can rep the Nets and recruit the others. You thin Melo would be jumping at the Knicks if Amare wasn't already there, i doubt it. Reason i dont want the franchise tag now is cause Magic will certainly use that on Howard and i think Nets are now in a position to make a legit run at him in 2012 on their way to BK. They have assets and picks left over to trade away bad deals and get enough under the cap to do that, Knicks DONT!

The price was steep, i admit it, but this is totally worth it. I dont know if you saw the other proposed rumors for Harris but they were AWFUL! This is a great deal for NJ, especially considering they pulled it completely out of their asses when things were looking as bad as they possibly could. It'd take too long to explain the situation with Harris but that and the Melo outcome makes this trade an absolute steal. Lets just say its darkest before dawn applies here 100%, Prokhy loud talk finally delivers something!

What you are saying makes perfect sense, but it is 100% contingent on extending Williams and they must have the knowledge or vibes that will happen. I don't think the Nets struck out on Lebron, Carmello, etc... There was nothing they could do about that. They offered the world for both of them but there minds were already hell bent on where they are now. Nets knew Carmello was not signing an extension and that was the bottomline and bron-bron wanted to be with his butt buddy in South Beach. But yes if they reup Williams it is a step in the right direction to adding valuable players that can win such as the one's you mentioned. A D-12 and a big time perimiter shooter would be a big 3 and definitely make Nets relevant. I think Howard will be open to exploring his options because Orlando is and has been posers and will never challange for a chip with there current roster.

demens
    Square -910

He is a unrestricted free agent next year. Looks like the Nets are unloading their current roster.

What should be a red flag is how willing the Nets are to trade their 1st round pick, Derrick Favors. I think you are a top 5 pick, we should be hearing something positive about your development. I forgot he was even drafted this year, until I saw georgia tech get pummeled by Maryland @home.
    Now that he is off my team, i can say what i really think about mr Favors. The guy was hyped to be the next Amare/Dwight hybrid and i think whoever made that comparison should be looked in a mental institution. He is a young kid that is still learning the game so not gonna label him a bust just yet, but the only thing he has going for him is his body. THATS IT! He has no basketball skills, instincts, IQ or even desire. Scouts says he is a willing stupid but he just comes off like a bitch to me, plays with no fire, only time he did was when Avery specifically called him out before games. His athleticism is way overrated, poor finisher and honestly, to put it simply i think the kid is just dumb. I thought so in his pre draft interviews and i think so now. How 50 games into the season he can possible still not know how to set a pick without moving is beyond me. I'd bet he leads the league in offensive fouls picked up on moving picks. I'm not gonna spill any tears over losing him at all. Wish him well, but will be very surprised if he comes anywhere close to realizing what was suppose to be his potential. I see more Kwame Brown in him then Amare or Dwight.

I do admit the the price for Williams was high, but like i said, he is totally worth it and considering the circumstances its actually a bargain. I'm not too concerned about convincing him to stay for now.

2011 Nets pick may not be all that great. Next years draft is expected to be very weak and the pick is likely to be in the 11-14 range as i think Nets will come close but just miss out on the play-offs. I think DWill will have a huge impact on Brook Lopez in waking him from his bitch slumber.

2012 GS pick might be the most valueable thing the Nets lost.

Also dont discount the importance of clearing Harris 8.5M off the 2012 salary.

ramones951
    ramones951's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 891

The west is falling apart. Lakers, Spurs, maybe Mavs, and the Thunder are the 4 main teams now.
    I mean the Mavs are 40-16 and have been contenders in the West for like the past 7 years, and they only get a maybe....

HCBoone
    HCBoone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5652

Jazz getting worse by the day.

Looks like they should see if Stockton, and Malone will come out of retirement.
    D-Will has been terrible all year, thye can cope without him.

Yi
    Yi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Nice trade for the Nets

HCBoone
    HCBoone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5652

Portland is a pretty good team when all available. Mavs is still a great team.

Bradyd
    Bradyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Considering how these 3 teams have been to ALL of the finals for over a decade, I would say that much hasn't change..

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

This is much better for Nets than Melo

Good Move

jkilla990
    jkilla990's Avatar Become A Pro!

Imagine if the nets had gotten melo and then williams. that team would have gone from one of the worst teams to eastern conference cotenders.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

what the hell did Utah do to their franchise?

They used to have Williams, Boozer, Korver

All gone

Shadowcat
    Shadowcat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Its a solid trade for both teams, I like it.

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Mavericks (-9) the play tonight vs. Utah?

demens
    Square -910

All good points. I know this ain't the popular thing to do but the Nets would have probably been better suited to stand pat and do nothing. I think that would have given them the best chance of being relevant in the future. Now, most likely after this season they are back to square 1 if they can't sign Williams and have lost trade assets. I am sure they are going to offer Williams an extension and must feel he will sign it. That is the only thing that makes since because if he walks the trade was just a bad idea. But sometimes these deals happen in huge media markets because of pressure. With the assets the Nets had with good scouting and player development they could have made some strides within the next 2-3 yrs and then got a missing piece via free agency or a trade. This looks like a huge gamble and the worst trade if Williams walks, but I guess they know something we don't about Williams possible signing an extension due to the new CBA up coming.
    2-3 year was never an option on the table. The Nets current assets have not developed as expected, Brook regressed, Favors showed nothing, Terrence WIlliams turned out to be worse then Sasha Vujacic. Nothing is guaranteed with picks either. But the Nets still have plenty. IIRC they had 9 picks in the next 3 drafts, they traded 2 of them. Its not the end of the world, they still got plenty to make moves, even if its just combining #20 and #40 to move up a few spots.

But the main reason is that the Nets BADLY needed a superstar to take into Brooklyn. It would have been Armageddon if they went in there with the crap team they have now, and without a face. Missing on Lebron was bad enough, missing Melo was even worse and having him go to NY made NJ beyond irrelevant. If they stood pat they would open that Arena to like 1000 people in attendance. Noone gives a **** about Brook Lopez or Derrick Favors.

I actually liked Devin Harris, he is an above average PG, he has been loyal, plays hard, adjusted his game to what Avery wanted, plays hurt, gives up his body to take charges always, does great charity work in the community. But facing facts, Devin Harris is not a star. The Nets did him dirty, i feel ashamed for the organization. This was suppose to be his come back season, reunited with the coach that made him, Devin was never involved in the initial Melo trade offers. (thats after the Nets lost the lotto and John Wall btw, prior they wanted Devin gone) They planned to have Lebron play with him, they planned Melo to play with him. And the funny part is that Devin is actually having a pretty good season. But the Nets then started getting desperate with Melo (for reasons i mentioned earlier). They started throwing Devin into every deal possible. It took a toll on him, Nets showed no loyalty to him and he had enough. Another reason they couldn't just stand pat and do nothing. They had to trade him. And you know what teams were offering. Dallas/Den/NJ Harris PLUS 1ST ROUNDER for FELTON (not sure what Den was getting in this one). Then Port/NJ AMiller/Pryzbilla for DEVIN and TMurphy. Then Dallas Devin for Butler+DJones+1st....ohh wait, no its just Butler straight up, Mavs declined the rest. Teams were low balling the Nets beyond reason.

And how did they get out of it. They freaking got arguably the leagues best PG, easily 1 of the leagues top 10 players, the superstar they wanted so much. And noone even thought this was possible. Nets needed a top 10 player to be relevant, look at who those guys are and tell me who was even available. Nets stole the trade deadline show as far as i'm concerned.

Not gonna worry about resigning him until the time comes. We got a year and a half to convince him. And we can always trade him like Den did with Melo if thats what it takes.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Nets will draw some players now in Brooklyn with Williams Here

Harris was a pussy and could not close games out

Manaconda
    Manaconda's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1292

fantastic move by the nets

lyon804

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    what the hell did Utah do to their franchise?

They used to have Williams, Boozer, Korver

All gone

They also had Wesley Mathews, which can't be overlooked what his value was to that team.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
    Mavericks (-9) the play tonight vs. Utah?

BadBeatBodog
    BadBeatBodog's Avatar Become A Pro!

They freaking got arguably the leagues best PG, easily 1 of the leagues top 10 players, the superstar they wanted so much.
    What? No way. Paul, Nash, Rondo, and Rose are all definitely better and others are arguably better. Make an argument that Williams is the best PG in the league please.

Easily one of the top 10 players in the league? God no. Not even close. Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Bryant, Gasol, Howard, Rose, Paul, Nash, Rondo, Pierce, Garnett. That took me 10 seconds to think of 12 guys better.

Don't get me wrong though Williams is a good PG.

lyon804

2-3 year was never an option on the table. The Nets current assets have not developed as expected, Brook regressed, Favors showed nothing, Terrence WIlliams turned out to be worse then Sasha Vujacic. Nothing is guaranteed with picks either. But the Nets still have plenty. IIRC they had 9 picks in the next 3 drafts, they traded 2 of them. Its not the end of the world, they still got plenty to make moves, even if its just combining #20 and #40 to move up a few spots.

But the main reason is that the Nets BADLY needed a superstar to take into Brooklyn. It would have been Armageddon if they went in there with the crap team they have now, and without a face. Missing on Lebron was bad enough, missing Melo was even worse and having him go to NY made NJ beyond irrelevant. If they stood pat they would open that Arena to like 1000 people in attendance. Noone gives a **** about Brook Lopez or Derrick Favors.

I actually liked Devin Harris, he is an above average PG, he has been loyal, plays hard, adjusted his game to what Avery wanted, plays hurt, gives up his body to take charges always, does great charity work in the community. But facing facts, Devin Harris is not a star. The Nets did him dirty, i feel ashamed for the organization. This was suppose to be his come back season, reunited with the coach that made him, Devin was never involved in the initial Melo trade offers. (thats after the Nets lost the lotto and John Wall btw, prior they wanted Devin gone) They planned to have Lebron play with him, they planned Melo to play with him. And the funny part is that Devin is actually having a pretty good season. But the Nets then started getting desperate with Melo (for reasons i mentioned earlier). They started throwing Devin into every deal possible. It took a toll on him, Nets showed no loyalty to him and he had enough. Another reason they couldn't just stand pat and do nothing. They had to trade him. And you know what teams were offering. Dallas/Den/NJ Harris PLUS 1ST ROUNDER for FELTON (not sure what Den was getting in this one). Then Port/NJ AMiller/Pryzbilla for DEVIN and TMurphy. Then Dallas Devin for Butler+DJones+1st....ohh wait, no its just Butler straight up, Mavs declined the rest. Teams were low balling the Nets beyond reason.

And how did they get out of it. They freaking got arguably the leagues best PG, easily 1 of the leagues top 10 players, the superstar they wanted so much. And noone even thought this was possible. Nets needed a top 10 player to be relevant, look at who those guys are and tell me who was even available. Nets stole the trade deadline show as far as i'm concerned.

Not gonna worry about resigning him until the time comes. We got a year and a half to convince him. And we can always trade him like Den did with Melo if thats what it takes.

You know your basketball and your Nets, but without locking up Deron you will be back to square 1. Hopefully for you another break happens and that Deron is signed and once that happens then other doors will open. Will be interesting to see how things play out over the next few yrs with a new CBA, drafts, and free agency.

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by BadBeatBodog View Post
    What? No way. Paul, Nash, Rondo, and Rose are all definitely better and others are arguably better. Make an argument that Williams is the best PG in the league please.

Easily one of the top 10 players in the league? God no. Not even close. Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Bryant, Gasol, Howard, Rose, Paul, Nash, Rondo, Pierce, Garnett. That took me 10 seconds to think of 12 guys better.

Don't get me wrong though Williams is a good PG.
    This deserves nothing more then a
    I'll even give you an extra one, here:

BadBeatBodog

Good argument. I bow before your immense knowledge and submit defeat.

demens
    Square -910

You know your basketball and your Nets, but without locking up Deron you will be back to square 1. Hopefully for you another break happens and that Deron is signed and once that happens then other doors will open. Will be interesting to see how things play out over the next few yrs with a new CBA, drafts, and free agency.
    Just read that DWill is pretty shocked, it'll take some convincing but i'm 100% positive now.

Also just found out that DWill can not be resigned prior to the CBA expiring, not possible according to the rules, so thats off the table.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BadBeatBodog View Post
    What? No way. Paul, Nash, Rondo, and Rose are all definitely better and others are arguably better. Make an argument that Williams is the best PG in the league please. Easily one of the top 10 players in the league? God no. Not even close. Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Bryant, Gasol, Howard, Rose, Paul, Nash, Rondo, Pierce, Garnett. That took me 10 seconds to think of 12 guys better. Don't get me wrong though Williams is a good PG.
    deron williams is better than nash and rondo.
    nash cant play any D and rondo cant shoot.

Shafted69
    Green Shoots 2021
    Shafted69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1693

Great for him.

He's better suited in a run & gun offense, not that boring UTAH system.

GTS925
    21-7 Run!
    GTS925's Avatar Become A Pro!

Deron is the #2 PG in the NBA. Anyway, who got the better deal, NY or NJ?

lyon804

Just read that DWill is pretty shocked, it'll take some convincing but i'm 100% positive now.

Also just found out that DWill can not be resigned prior to the CBA expiring, not possible according to the rules, so thats off the table.

Wow, did not know that. I guess NJN calculated the risk and made the gamble because you know they was aware of that. Sometimes you got to just take your shot and make the move.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

still say williams ends up playing for dallas when he becomes a free agent. 2 shitty teams made a trade today. they'll still be shitty at end of season.

BadBeatBodog

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithj88 View Post
    deron williams is better than nash and rondo.
    nash cant play any D and rondo cant shoot.
    Not really extensive analysis. According to 82games.com, Nash is limiting opponents to an eFG% of .462. Pretty good, especially when you compare it to his own number of .565 and Williams' opponent eFG% of .480.

For a player who can't shoot, Rondo has an impressive eFG%: .541. In fact, it's higher than Williams at .524.

And anyway, what about the other guys I mentioned? No argument that DWill is better than them I guess.

First 12345 Last