The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

a college playoff could be much like this

How great would that be? We could have games like this all the way through instead of half of the bowls being meaningless garbage. Days of kids playing like shit because they didn't get the bowl they wanted would be long gone.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Not going to happen.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Not in My lifetime, and I'm only 22

frognose20
    frognose20's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 185

That would be great

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

Playoffs would ruin college football. Your season is on the line every Saturday, that's how it should always work.

Kaabee
    Kaabee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Quote Originally Posted by dfberger23 View Post
    Playoffs would ruin college football. Your season is on the line every Saturday, that's how it should always work.
    it MIGHT be on the line every Saturday. lots of 1-loss teams get in the NC game. in the playoffs you know it's on the line.

onetrickpony
    onetrickpony's Avatar Become A Pro!

never gonna happen, this current system brings in waaay too much revenue

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

Quote Originally Posted by Kaabee View Post
    it MIGHT be on the line every Saturday. lots of 1-loss teams get in the NC game. in the playoffs you know it's on the line.
    Since 1998, only 4 or 5 teams (out of 26) have made the title game with a loss. That is not very many.

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Quote Originally Posted by onetrickpony View Post
    never gonna happen, this current system brings in waaay too much revenue
    You cannot possibly believe that a College Football Playoff would DECREASE revenue. I am a diehard football fan and I probably watched 3 or 4 bowl games this year. If it were playoffs, not only would I watch every game but I would have parties at my house while we did watch. And I wouldn't be the only one. I don't really remember that many parties on my street for this year's Pittsburgh/Kentucky game.

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

i like it the way it is

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

could see it being alright this way

Metalhead
    Metalhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243

The hardest part would be deciding who makes the playoffs. How many teams? What would be the required credentials? If it goes by ranking, people would still be complaining about the rankings.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Stop your dreaming people. It is NOT going to happen. Not now, not 5 years from now, and not 10 years from now. You already have playoff games in College Football. They are called conference championship games, and they will be played in the ACC, Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC next season. In other words, the top 3 conferences plus the ACC. The Big 12 will shortly see the light and expand to get back to 12, or disband. The rest of the confernces are meaningless, when it comes to national championship implications. That is as close to a playof system as you will see. There is an outside chance of a "Plus One" system, but that would be 4 years away, and would include the Cotton Bowl becoming a BCS Bowl.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

This is a thread worth renewing and debating. Lots of opinions...some strong about a playoff. Bowls are a moneyhoney for the NCAA so getting playoffs will be difficult at Division I level...but they are coming.

Future demand by the public and someone stepping up with the MONEY will command a playoff. I for one would love to see some playoff system. Look at Division II, and others....it works.

Welcome comments...........where am I wrong about the big boys doing what all the other divisions are doing??

PLAYA-PLAYA
    PLAYA-PLAYA's Avatar Become A Pro!

GREAT THOUGHT-----THE TIME IS NOW------So MANY MEANINGLESS BOWLS NOW-----START A PLAYOFF----WATCH THE CREAM RISE TO THE TOP----BOTH TEAMS AND COACHES

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Again, it will NEVER happen. The BCS is way too powerful to allow it to happen. The Bowls have too much power. ABC/ESPN are along for the ride, and they are the financial motivation. With the ACC, Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC all now having Conference Championship Games, you already have a mini-playoff system intact. No one in here realizes the complex logistical problems that a playoff system would entail. Using an eight team playoff system, two of those eight teams would have to travel for three weeks in a row. I am not talking about three away games that have been scheduled for a year or more. I am talking about games that will have to be scheduled 6-7 days ahead of time. That makes travel an absolute nightmare for the fans, who also could not afford to go to three straight away games. It also makes it impossible for coaches to prepare their teams properly. Stop your dreaming people. It is NOT going to happen. The best you may do is to change the N.C. game to a "Plus 1" game. This can be done by adding the Cotton Bowl to the BCS Bowl Line-up, giving you 10 teams who will play in BCS Bowl Games to choose from. Pick the top two survivors from the Bowl games and have them meet a week later.

spongerat
    spongerat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

the corporations are way too big to ever let this happen, it would take a government intervention but then I'd hope the administration would have more important things to tend to than football

The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    It also makes it impossible for coaches to prepare their teams properly.
    that's a bullshit argument. They do it right now in the other divisions in the playoffs and don't bitch and cry. I do it every year myself. As long asboth teams have the same amount of time, it doesn't matter. That's more time than teams have when they play on Saturday then again on a Thursday during the regular season. Even if the coaches have looked at film ahead of time, the players haven't, and the coaches can only relay so much information in that time to the kids. That's less preparation and BCS teams do that in the regular season. Right now it is strictly about money, nothing else.
    Last edited by The Seer; 02-10-11 at 11:11 AM.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

The system they have now is profitable. We get 30 bowl games and there are 30 winners that are claiming to be #1. Why change it in favor of a playoff system where only one true #1 can exist?

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm all for a playoff, but I can see the wrinkles that would have to be ironed out. Conferences and schools are making too much money with the current system to change anything. If a playoff would bring in more money, they would have changed the format already.

Like someone said above, it'll take Government interference (which I hope NEVER happens)

RPP
    RPP's Avatar Become A Pro!

I wish it would happen. Oh well.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

It will definitely happen and soon in the scheme of things. There is way too much money being left on the table and NCAA knows this.

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

Way too many mediocre bowl games this year. Towards the end of the year, there was worry that not enough teams would qualify to fill the bowls. An 8 team playoff could still utilize the existing bowls on a rotating basis like they do now. The other minor bowls would have the same effect that they do now and would fill the space between the playoff schedule. As the playoffs continue, excitement would build up to the championship. If anything, there would be more advertising dollars and money for the schools than occur now. Lets hope that they finally realize that the players should also get a piece of the pie.

Betting Guru
    Bookie Busting!
    Betting Guru's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Yeah that would be great but unlikely to happen in our lifetime!

Blazermaniac
    Blazermaniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1027

Both side needs to compromise and there is a way around this. The bowls still exist. Just incorporated the 8 or 4 major ones into the bracket (like a region) depending on how many teams you want to contend. You can still have all these small mini bowls and they can do whatever they want on the side. It's a win win.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I see way too much wishing in here and not nearly enough common sense being used in this discussion. First, the number of bowl games with, or without a playoff will not change. Second, NO ONE other than myself has talked about the logistical nightmare this would present. It is IMPOSSIBLE to have a team and their fans travel three weeks in a row, which is what would be needed for an 8 team playoff. It simply CANNOT be done, boys and girls. WAKE UP. You cannot find enough hotel rooms and flights on such short notice. You cannot expect the students and the alum to fly off to some different city three weeks in a row. The costs would be astronomical. This is NOT Basketball, where a few players and fans fly into a city for TWO games in three days.

You can all stop your dreaming and your lame arguements now. No one cares what you want to see, because you guys, for the most part, do not travel with your teams. You all watch the bowl games. Many in here watch every bowl game, no matter who is playing. If you want a playoff system, there is only ONE way of getting it. You must start with a "Plus One" system. Here is how this works. You add the Cotton Bowl as the 5th BCS game. The tie-ins remain the same with the exception of the Big 12-2 tying in with the Cotton Bowl. This also sets up the bowl tie-ins in the future, when there are only 5 Super Conferences around. So you let your 6 (as of now) Conference Champions fight it out, and take the top two survivors and have them play in the "plus one" game, roughly two weeks after the BCS bowl season ends. The difference between that system and the one in operation today is that the final vote does not take place until AFTER the BCS Bowl games are decided. That is your only choice for now if you want a "playoff" system. It makes your Conference Championship game a playoff game, and your BCS bowl game a playoff game. It is as close as you are going to get. To get to the Champonship game, most teams will have to win two other games.

trendon
    trendon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3681

Quote Originally Posted by dfberger23 View Post
    I agree with this statement unless you talk about a +1 system (and a provisional +1 at that)

trendon
    trendon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3681

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    You cannot possibly believe that a College Football Playoff would DECREASE revenue. I am a diehard football fan and I probably watched 3 or 4 bowl games this year. If it were playoffs, not only would I watch every game but I would have parties at my house while we did watch. And I wouldn't be the only one. I don't really remember that many parties on my street for this year's Pittsburgh/Kentucky game.
    To be more specific, the current system brings in more guaranteed money (to the big schools/conferences, of course). The SEC can reasonably expect to draw two BCS paychecks and six other bowl checks in the $2m range (give or take). With a playoff, it is a complete mystery what they'll get.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Public wants a playoff. It's coming in the next 10 to 12 years. Once the money is put up and other issues are resolved.....it will happen.

Workhorse (1/12/11) and you can hang me if it doesn't happen.