warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

Becoming a tout

Lets say that theoretically you thought you had what it takes to be a very good pro handicapper, and chose to pursue this as a way to make money.

How would you go about it? What does the transition for sharp to tout involve?

samdapatriotsfan
    samdapatriotsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1040

I have seen a few guys post their picks here and after gathering a big enough following they go tout.

That would be a good way to start. Good luck if you pursue this.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

A key component of touting if you are really a winning capper is coming up with bullshit that sounds plausible. If you tell people what you're really doing, they will reverse engineer you, and eventually front-run you. If you make up wild stuff that sounds intelligent, 95% of the people will swallow it. The 5% that know your write-ups are full of bung won't matter, as long as you keep winning.

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan707 View Post
    Lets say that theoretically you thought you had what it takes to be a very good pro handicapper, and chose to pursue this as a way to make money.

How would you go about it? What does the transition for sharp to tout involve?

think about what you just said! Thats some funny shit

warriorfan707

Quote Originally Posted by THE PROFIT View Post

think about what you just said! Thats some funny shit
    Explain

THE PROFIT

Thats like comparing Carroll Shelby to a car salesman

YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

the next stu feiner

warriorfan707

Thats like comparing Carroll Shelby to a car salesman
    So many touts are trash

YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

DUH

warriorfan707

So if I think I can hit 65% long term I should use that to make money

DeluxeLiner
    DeluxeLiner's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

most touts just seem to sell themselves, make up fake aliases and flip coins.

THE PROFIT

what I mean is being sharp & transitioning to a tout is fukin funny. Theres sharps & then theres touts. 5% of touts are sharp & 5% of sharps are touts. Its not a transition like being used to cadillacs but now youre driving a new lexus.

warriorfan707

what I mean is being sharp & transitioning to a tout is fukin funny. Theres sharps & then theres touts. 5% of touts are sharp & 5% of sharps are touts. Its not a transition like being used to cadillacs but now youre driving a new lexus.
    This comment rules. I see your point 100%.

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

Everyone hates touts because everyone knows it's free money. It's like prostitution. Women hate prostitutes but they would all do it under the right circumstances.

warriorfan707

I am interested in pursuing this as a business. I know I could do better than the jackasses currently selling their picks.

THE PROFIT

Quote Originally Posted by Masu485 View Post
    Everyone hates touts because everyone knows it's free money. It's like prostitution. Women hate prostitutes but they would all do it under the right circumstances.
    I dont hate touts, they just annoy me the same way ant 2am infomercial Billy Mays wanna be slap chop coksuker does. People claiming that a piece of fukin plastic that costs $2 to manafacture is worth $49.99 but you can have 2 of them for $19.99 if you call in the next 5 fukin minutes.

Gullible people are who's stupid, not the hustler. Ive been a hustler all my life, I dont hate the hustler nor the gullible, just annoyed by both. But it takes both to make the dollar go round & round

postal warrior
    postal warrior's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

I am interested in pursuing this as a business. I know I could do better than the jackasses currently selling their picks.
    You already do better then the jackasses in the business.

I would suggest to start your own blog page and twitter account and post your plays on their. Gain a following and then start to sell your plays from there. It's not difficult to do. If you give out free winners for a few months then people that follow won't have a problem paying for your picks.

Wish you the best if you do go down that road and thanks for the consistent winners you've been posting on here.

THE PROFIT

thats the thing, its not about picking at a high%, it help, no doubt, but not the secret to success.

well, I guess to success it is, but not the secret to notoriety.

Look at Brandon Lang, hes worse than Brock Landers but everyone knows his fukin name

warriorfan707

Not sure how one would realistically get a big enough clientele to make a living doing it... so much competition it seems, especially nowadays.

The sad thing is I don't even put much time into it. If I really went all out I think I could put up some unprecedented numbers.

Forgive me if this sounds cocky or overconfident I am only stating what I believe.

warriorfan707

I need an adviser or something. Someone who could make it happen and in return I would give them free picks daily for as long as they want.

Metalhead
    Metalhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243

Sell the sizzle, not the steak. You're gonna sell picks to people who are incapable, or scared, to pick themselves. These people want winners and you're gonna give them winners!

Perception is the key. When you have a couple of 2 unit 'plays of the day' that lose in a row, it's ok, because you've got a 5 unit 'play of the WEEK'. Win some, lose some, but profits are never far away and your new system is always in the pipeline.

postal warrior

I need an adviser or something. Someone who could make it happen and in return I would give them free picks daily for as long as they want.
    Look at my post above. You set up something like that and post your plays on this site for a few more months you will have a following as long as you win on a consistent basis.

People will pay for plays. Hell you see it all the time in the service forum and they are paying for guys that suck at this. You set up something like I said and give them free access for 2 or 3 months and they see you win then they will pay for the picks. You'll start off with a small following but word of mouth travels fast.

THE PROFIT

look at what SweetJones 55 has done. I dont know if he is a tout or is going, but he has developed a helluva following right here on SBR

warriorfan707

Quote Originally Posted by postal warrior View Post
    Look at my post above. You set up something like that and post your plays on this site for a few more months you will have a following as long as you win on a consistent basis.

People will pay for plays. Hell you see it all the time in the service forum and they are paying for guys that suck at this. You set up something like I said and give them free access for 2 or 3 months and they see you win then they will pay for the picks. You'll start off with a small following but word of mouth travels fast.
    Word of mouth definitely travels fast. Whats preventing people from just telling their friends and having their friend split up the cost of the package with them... Im sure that happens a lot in this business.

Another difficult part might be expanding your customer base. I guess you gotta just mas e-mail people somehow.

warriorfan707

look at what SweetJones 55 has done. I dont know if he is a tout or is going, but he has developed a helluva following right here on SBR
    I don't think I've seen any of his picks but then I don't spend time searching for anyones I always make my own.

Casperwaits
    West Side Story
    Casperwaits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Warrior, here in Vegas we are inundated with touts. they make $$ not on being good cappers but getting suckers to bet on both sides of the same game. They set it up like a pyramid scheme at the beginning. I would be happy to explain it to you in detail sometime. Touts are worthless.

postal warrior

Word of mouth definitely travels fast. Whats preventing people from just telling their friends and having their friend split up the cost of the package with them... Im sure that happens a lot in this business.

Another difficult part might be expanding your customer base. I guess you gotta just mas e-mail people somehow.
    This site is great advertisement.

Also the twitter account is good to. You follow sports radio stations and the espn's of the world and tweet your plays on there. People will notice you if your winning at a high rate. They start to follow you and get a taste for winners. Before you know it you will have a pretty descent following.

warriorfan707

Quote Originally Posted by postal warrior View Post
    This site is great advertisement.

Also the twitter account is good to. You follow sports radio stations and the espn's of the world and tweet your plays on there. People will notice you if your winning at a high rate. They start to follow you and get a taste for winners. Before you know it you will have a pretty descent following.
    I guess all you really need is like a few clients to start at first and then try to pick it up from there.

beermankirk
    beermankirk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 885

Good luck with this The Bay Area Beast!

DirkDiggs
    Clippers ML!
    DirkDiggs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Not sure how one would realistically get a big enough clientele to make a living doing it... so much competition it seems, especially nowadays.

The sad thing is I don't even put much time into it. If I really went all out I think I could put up some unprecedented numbers.

Forgive me if this sounds cocky or overconfident I am only stating what I believe.
    See dude, you are already half the way there.

All tout means is that I tout (proclaim) my damn winners bigger than anyones. Damn it I'm the best and I'm going to talk it up. All the way up. We got the best record of any of these fellows. We are the best and we are going to TOUT this crap all day.

If you want to be cool pick winners, you don't have to tout them to be cool.
    Last edited by DirkDiggs; 02-12-11 at 01:38 AM.

DirkDiggs
    Clippers ML!
    DirkDiggs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Yeah, I think you are confusing tout (scumbab f) with being a winning capper.

warriorfan707

Quote Originally Posted by DirkDiggs View Post
    See dude, you are already half the way there.

All tout means is that I tout (proclaim) my damn winners bigger than anyones. Damn it I'm the best and I'm going to talk it up. All the way up. We got the best record of any of these fellows. We are the best and we are going to TOUT this crap all day.

If you want to be cool pick winners, you don't have to tout them to cool.
    Maybe thats a trait shared by Touts? A desire to be the best and maybe a bit of overconfidence too?

tkim8404
    tkim8404's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 982

This might be a tough occupation but nothing is impossible. Hell you might be a better handicapper than most these touts.

chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence
    chemicalbrother's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by beermankirk View Post
    Good luck with this The Bay Area Beast!
    beat me to it.

this guy lost a month-long bet and refused to pay last year.

mmm hmmm

chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence
    chemicalbrother's Avatar Become A Pro!

12 Last