Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

There is no such thing as sharp/square plays, only Sharp Players and Square Players

People have followed the trend of the old timers that have been here and are learning these terms from them. Its been referenced so many times, most of the guys that are using these terms have been gambling for 8 months and now think they have all the answers about books making "head fakes" and shit.

There is no such thing as a square or sharp play. If 84% of the public is on the Heat to beat the magic, people will say, "you square! take the heat and you'll get buried in the long run!" These claims make you sound idiotic. In the end, the play that wins is the right side. Sure there are bad beats where you think you made a good call but in the end all that matters is if you win or lose. There is no such thing as a sharp play. If 64% of the public is on the Heat -2, and yet the line moves down to Heat -1 (RLM), that does not make the Opposing side a Sharp play. Nothing is a sharp play and nothing is a square play. You are only a sharp player if you make good decisions and a square player if you make poor decisions.

I don't know who these guys are listening to on the forum about this sharp/square. If you continue to not take a certain play because its "square" then you will be out of the game in a few years max. "Square" plays, as many refer to them, cash at a solid percentage.

Sharp players take everything into consideration, but they do not let public %'s sway them from their original pick (based on x,y,z). A square player could be something that takes everything into consideration and even analyzes things TOO MUCH. Stop trying to analyze what Vegas is thinking because they are not picking a side on 95% of games!!!

Books try to get even action on every game. Theres only certain times where they are begging to to take a certain side (i.e. gambling themselves). People on this forum bring up this term everyday

"Heat -2 is bait! They are begging you to take the Heat!" At times they will beg you to take a team, like the Steelers plus the points clearly indicated who Vegas was gambling on to win that game (Green Bay).

Now we will get some point betters coming in here and lecturing me on something.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 4 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: obamaismyuncle, Snowball, nyed1010, and 7secondsOrLess

big0mar
    SINGLE-DECK BLACKJACK
    big0mar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3002

So what you're saying is that Vegas is taking a side on 5% of the games??????

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3768

word. been gambling for sports for 20 years..
    the fact is, this sharp/square routine is a lingo created by the touts
    and by the offshores.. you know, the offshores who post these b.s. bet
    numbers that 90% of SBR goons take as gospel.
    i've talked about this ad nauseum

good post.

nyed1010
    nyed1010's Avatar Become A Pro!

great post. This dude yesterday posted a thread about how the last two nights the "public money" was right and the thread title was something like "when should we start fading the public"
    All I could do was shake my head.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Sharp post.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

This about as squares as it gets.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    People have followed the trend of the old timers that have been here and are learning these terms from them. Its been referenced so many times, most of the guys that are using these terms have been gambling for 8 months and now think they have all the answers about books making "head fakes" and shit.

There is no such thing as a square or sharp play. If 84% of the public is on the Heat to beat the magic, people will say, "you square! take the heat and you'll get buried in the long run!" These claims make you sound idiotic. In the end, the play that wins is the right side. Sure there are bad beats where you think you made a good call but in the end all that matters is if you win or lose. There is no such thing as a sharp play. If 64% of the public is on the Heat -2, and yet the line moves down to Heat -1 (RLM), that does not make the Opposing side a Sharp play. Nothing is a sharp play and nothing is a square play. You are only a sharp player if you make good decisions and a square player if you make poor decisions.

I couldnt disagree more but good luck. I agree with the bold part.

ApricotSinner32

Quote Originally Posted by frostno98 View Post
    This about as squares as it gets.
    Agreed

ApricotSinner32

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    I couldnt disagree more but good luck. I agree with the bold part.
    Agreed goat is a fuking hamburger.

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

blindly fade when 70+ are on one side and you win. There is no debating that.

ApricotSinner32

Quote Originally Posted by BettingWizard View Post
    Not that simple but you're on the right track. Getting -110 could make it more difficult than it has to be. Doing this with matchbook no vig is very sharp. Long term you're going to grind a profit.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

brooks85

Quote Originally Posted by BettingWizard View Post

^thats all im saying.

I definitely make plays with 80+% of the public on one side but it happens rarely for me. So im not saying its square too make a "public" play but over the long it is definitely. And if there is rlm, thats not even a question, I never make plays with rlm against me, never.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Sirs, it is a simpleton approach to simply "fade the public".

There is zero evidence that you're a winner in the long run by fading.

When you hear 99% of players lose, it's referring to their long run bankroll, and it's because
    1) no money management/tilt leads to buried.
    2) can't pick enough winners
    3) juice

99% do not lose because they pick "the square side".

Priority:

1) Get the best line. Always look to beat the closer, scalp, middle, reduced juice, etc.

2) Make sure your angles are solid. Stronger the angles, larger the play (a 1-5 unit scale works well with this). You know your angles are solid if you have a good win % over a decent sample size. It is definitely possible to get an edge here.

Do you think Bill Walters gives a cheap fuk what side the public's on? No, he has his angle and he beats the number, period.
    Last edited by Sunde91; 02-10-11 at 06:38 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ACoochy

brooks85

I would bet every dollar I have anyone who takes every play I give them for the next 1000 plays will be a severe loser. And the only thing all those plays would have in common is betting with the public on high volume games, no other capping involved.

ApricotSinner32

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post
    Sirs, it is a simpleton approach to simply "fade the public".

There is zero evidence that you're a winner in the long run by fading.

When you hear 99% of players lose, it's referring to the long run, and it's because they
    1) can't pick enough winners
    2) juice
    3) no money management/tilt leads to buried.

99% do not lose because they pick "the square side".

1) Get the best line. Always look to beat the closer, scalp, middle, reduced juice, etc.

2) Make sure your angles are solid. Stronger the angles, larger the play (a 1-5 unit scale works well with this). You know yours angles are solid if you have a good win % over a decent sample size. It is definitely possible to get an edge here.

Most lose because of money management and tilting but picking the square side long term has no chance of winning enough to beat the odds.

Ie all major books are hanging bobcats +4.5 with more juice on the bobcats side for the whole day vs the celtics. Books know that they will get more celtics action than bobcats action yet they put more juice on the cats side. If you can get a good number on the bobcats thats a sharp play.

To win like the books you must think like the books.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

The OP is definitely a square. Has no clue on how sharp gambling works.

brooks85

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post
    Priority:

2) Make sure your angles are solid. Stronger the angles, larger the play (a 1-5 unit scale works well with this). You know your angles are solid if you have a good win % over a decent sample size. It is definitely possible to get an edge here.

Do you think Bill Walters gives a cheap fuk what side the public's on? No, he has his angle and he beats the number, period.

I 100% agree with number 1, no doubt about that.

But number 2, imo the problem I have with that is the betting % and line movement means a hell of a lot more than anyone's "angle."

Bill walters would be the exception, not the standard.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    I will pick your arguments apart. Go find another scalp you rookie. Let me know once you pick a winner in a sport thats not cricket or swimming

Goat Milk

Go find another scalp you rookie. Let me know when you can pick a winner in a sport thats not cricket or darts

thanks

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I can't argue with an idiot who posts the same post back to back every 1 hr and 12 minutes.

Buried_PIRATE
    Shaved my chest.
    Buried_PIRATE's Avatar Become A Pro!

I can't argue with an idiot who posts the same post back to back every 1 hr and 12 minutes.
    lmao...

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Celtics squares Lakers sharps
    Dallas squares Denver sharps

Tonight

The outcomes don't even matter.