Chipp
    Chipp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8689

lol no, not close.

easywinner
    easywinner's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 152

They should seriously take like the all star teams from each sport and for individual sports like fighting(boxing, mma etc.) take the champs from a few weight classes and for sports like swimming or track etc. olympic sports, take the current gold medal winners and for tennis take the top 10 ranked players etc. and on and on for every sport. Then have them all do every sport based on some kind of scoring system. For example they all take 10 free throws for basketball and get 1 point for each one made, and they all swim a lap for time, all run a lap for time and get points based on their time, all try to hit a target with a football from 25 yards away etc. etc. just do like a massive competition involving every sport and see who the individual best at all sports is and which sports athletes as a whole are the best all around at all sports. This still won't define who the best athlete is but it will give us an idea and be fun as hell for fans to see, i think anyway. It will never happen though because of different sports always being in season at different times and restrictions in players contracts etc. My family does this at family reunions. Although we can't do every sport because of time restraints we usually do a couple of sports each reunion and mix it up.

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

not really a debatable question...he might "currently" be considered a top 25 athlete, but not even the best athlete in the ufc...

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Easily a contender (as are GSP and Frankie Edgar IMO)!
    Franky Edgar as contender for best athlete in the world? Are you being serious here?

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

Quote Originally Posted by WeinketoWarrick View Post
    Athleticism is a combination of strength, speed, and hand-eye coordination.

I'd take half the power forwards in the NBA and half the starting RB's and LB's in the NFL over any MMA competitor in terms of pure athleticism...

Lebron, D. Howard, Blake Griffin...Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson...DeMarcus Ware, Clay Matthews, Ed Reed...all those guys would destroy Silva in any kind of all-encompassing "athlete" competition.
    any top decathlon athlete would destroy these-

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Adding:
    Fedor Emanialenko

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

Lots of fedor hype i've reading all over the net. The guy is heavyweight and its not even a competitive division because most americans are obese. OMY Fedor fights in strikeforce where there are 5 fighters in his division. Dont even discuss fedor right now...

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Quote Originally Posted by AribaAriba View Post
    Lots of fedor hype i've reading all over the net. The guy is heavyweight and its not even a competitive division because most americans are obese. OMY Fedor fights in strikeforce where there are 5 fighters in his division. Dont even discuss fedor right now...
    He is called the last emperor for a justified reason. Show me someone else with a professional record of 32-2...Been smallest heavyweight fighting bigger opponents (so always starting with a physical disadvantage to begin with) his entire professional career. Technically disposed of just about every gorilla that he came up against. Many analysts, as well as former and current fighters, consider Emelianenko to be the greatest mixed martial artist of all time. And that last statement came from http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent...nside-MMA-1560 so as to show im not just blowing hot air...

blueghost
    blueghost's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2401

maybe in MMA but all sports not close

Rod1010
    Rod1010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

In MMA by far

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by stefan084 View Post
    Franky Edgar as contender for best athlete in the world? Are you being serious here?
    Depends how u define an athlete? In terms of heart, dedication, toughess how can you say he isnt one of the best? If u mean in terms of just physical skills, well even then, Martin Rooney has done Strength and conditioning for all types of pro athletes at Parisi Speed School and he has said that's hasnt seen anybody match what Frankie Edgar does in the gym.

WeinketoWarrick
    Update your status
    WeinketoWarrick's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jesus, some of you MMA guys are straight up retarded. Too many blows to the head, I'll assume.

Top 10 athletes worldwide don't participate in a sport where their earning potential is a 1/10th of what it is in other sports. If you've got the athleticism to be great at one of the big-time sports, you don't hang around in one weight-class in a second-rate sport.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Well Silva loses points for brining Steven Seagal out for his walk in. GSP will counter this by bringing in Jean-Claude Van Damme in the super fight

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

No. The decathlon athletes in track and field are much better athletes than MMA fighters. Remember there is a reason they fight in a cage.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1824

So he gets one nice kick in a couple years and he's the best athlete of all time?

odtw524
    odtw524's Avatar Become A Pro!

He really is a great fighter and one of the elite in the ufc....

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Doesn't anyone have a single athlete with a good explanation to compare the two? Not one yet. It's easy to just disagree.

Rod1010

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    So he gets one nice kick in a couple years and he's the best athlete of all time?

go watch all his KO's and TKO' and come back noob

k13

Quote Originally Posted by Rod1010 View Post
    go watch all his KO's and TKO' and come back noob
    Nothing impressive. Not even top 10 in mma/k1.

I can watch better KO's Mirko, so what?

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    Well Silva loses points for brining Steven Seagal out for his walk in. GSP will counter this by bringing in Jean-Claude Van Damme in the super fight
    This was pretty funny. If you watched the post fights press conference he also thanked Seagal for helping him perfect that kick.

k13

Ernesto Hoost better athlete.

Luckly for Silva he went to UFC so he can roll around and fight a bunch of bums and Dana can build him up to be a superstar. Lot better than losing to a bunch of Japs all the time.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 01-21-16 at 01:49 PM. Reason: image does not exist

bracerman
    bracerman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3404

Such a beautiful clip. Former champ in the weight class above him and he toys with him like it was a little kid
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 01-21-16 at 01:51 PM. Reason: image does not exist

bracerman
    bracerman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3404

Silva is unbelievable but the question is just one you can't really quantify when you include all sports. I don't think you can make a comparison between him and say, Gretzky at his prime.

The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Heavyweight Champ Rocky Marciano 49-0 with 43 k.o.s all in 8 years of work.
    If Silva did that, I might consider it.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hahaha...That clip is great...I love his leg flying way up in the air. Griffin should really work on his acting before his next dive. That was one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen.

Rod1010

lol he fkin owned griffin . He was so scared to get up Silva is what we call a real athlete ...MMA is the only real sport in the world .

YA fukk u

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

(just woke up)

jerry rice
    walter payton
    jevon kerse
    julius peppers
    blake griffin

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

definitely dominate, not sure about all time best category

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

"Athlete" comes from the Greek word "Athlos". Let us remember the words of Socrates in reference to Pankration: “An th Olympia the aristo” (the greatest of all competitions in all of Olympia). MMA is modern day's equivalent of Pankration.

Conan
    Conan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 818

there are tons of "all time" athleats one of my favorets is Jim Thorp he was a halfback two time all american he won gold metals in the 1912 olimpics for both the decathalon and the pentathalon he went on to play pro baseball and pro football into his 40's he did it all he was even the first president of the NFL he was the man. nevertheless i say it is too diluted of a question to realy ever have a hands down answer your almost alwase going to get people to debate it espeshaly if there not fans of the sport your athlte is in.

CollegePro
    CollegePro's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    (just woke up)

jerry rice
    walter payton
    jevon kerse
    julius peppers
    blake griffin

Bigmikesm
    Bigmikesm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1690

Id have to say he's definitely top 10 in MMA.

Chipp
    Chipp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8689

^ This I can agree w/.

raidersfan
    raidersfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

The best "all time" athlete in the world inside MMA okay, but across all sports not a chance not even close.

First 123 Last