anthonydiamondLC
    anthonydiamondLC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1741

Answer this Basketball rule for me

I coach my brothers basketball team and tonight a kid got throw out of the game on our team with back to back technical fouls seconds between each other during the same stoppage. The ref awarded the other team with four free throws. I could of sworn you get 2 free throws and the ball in that scenario. Can someone verify the rule for me.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

There should'nt have been free throws awarded for both techs, The kid with the quick 2 techs gets tossed, and the other team gets 2 free throws and the ball.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

biff
    dead
    biff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

in the nba wouldn't that just be 2 free throws and not get the ball back? i know in college when you get a tech it is 2 free throws but in the nba it is just one.

nba fan my whole life and i have no idea how i would not know this for sure. either way, sounds like that ref was on a power trip.

biff
    dead

opie, i thought you only got the ball back on a flagrant? or you talking college and below bball rules?

anthonydiamondLC

I went nuts at the ref and almost got tossed myself. I think the rule this falls under is a flagrant technical which means the player is ejected two shots and the ball for the other team. Since this is a Rec league I figure they follow college rules for the two free throws, but no way they get four.

biff
    dead

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydiamondLC View Post
    I went nuts at the ref and almost got tossed myself. I think the rule this falls under is a flagrant technical which means the player is ejected two shots and the ball for the other team. Since this is a Rec league I figure they follow college rules for the two free throws, but no way they get four.
    Yeah, that would make sense. no offense as i know the game is important to you but someone should of yelled "you think you reffing collge bball or nba ref? go home and bang your 500 pound wife"

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

I think it was handled right, except the 2nd tech is simply an ejection, there should'nt be free throws awarded for this. Only change of possession.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Rio DiNero
    using no way as way
    Rio DiNero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 218

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydiamondLC View Post
    Just think, if he would have T'd you up he would have given the other team six free throws! Sounds like he was working for the other team.

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

Quote Originally Posted by biff View Post
    opie, i thought you only got the ball back on a flagrant? or you talking college and below bball rules?
    lol. Great question. Yeah Anthony, you probably coach in the NBA or for another professional team, right?

anthonydiamondLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rollins View Post
    lol. Great question. Yeah Anthony, you probably coach in the NBA or for another professional team, right?
    haha its my little brothers high school town league, but its pretty competitive so I take it seriously. We got the win tonight even after our best player got thrown out. Obviously my coaching prowess showed tonight making the proper adjustments and keeping my team composed. With that being said I wanted to punch the ref during the game cause I knew he was dead wrong and he was trying to yell at me from on the court saying I shouldn't argue rules when I'm wrong. I can now see why Bobby Knight threw a chair onto the court in his days.