ddream1
    ddream1's Avatar Become A Pro!

any heating/cooling/duct guy?

had a repair on furnace from my gas provider after he fixed part he said my ducts are lined wrong or as he said "insuffucient" the duct from the water heater because it so tall and my basement is so low runs tilting down slightly then almost straight into main duct. he said it needs to go from down to up.

from the furnace the duct goes up slightly and then slightly dip down(i probably could pull it up) and then is about parrell as the water hear into the wall or main duct(cannot remember)

how much of this is all true and he also said the ducts need to be strapped, none are strapped. he threatened to shut the furnance off immediately but then said i give u 30 days. i have had main of there tech's in plus others(all licensed) guys for tune ups, repairs etc and plus they installed the water heater as i rent it, never a word of this, plus on x-mass eve i a sensor issue, frunance fired on off repeatly so i called in told them i smelt gas guy comes says all if fine, i cleaned the sensor starts working no problem. so why wouldn't that emergency guy tell me i may have gas build up in my "insufficient" ducts then. so confused.

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm not a ventilation technician but I do play one on a forum.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Probably just nitpicking these guys are struggling for work these days and it is job security on their end to try and sell you on some additional work.

Not saying that he is lying but it is probably something that is passable but not ran to exact specifications.

Is this a new furnace and if not was the house built within the last 30 years or so? Just curious because during the new construction process this would had to have passed an inspection and if so it is fine.

ddream1

no its 100 years old, furnace abou 3 years new. also canadian, but everything i have read regulations all appear to be same under a commsission

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ddream1 View Post
    no its 100 years old, furnace abou 3 years new. also canadian, but everything i have read regulations all appear to be same under a commsission
    I don't do HVAC work but years ago I used to work along side them and I have several friends in the trade. As with any type of piping though it is essential to 45 the pipe and avoid using a 90 to decrease resistance and should always try to run as straight as possible, I am sure you should never run an exhaust vent line downward considering that heat rises I could see this causing some issues and possibly straining the furnace.

I am not sure exactly what you are looking at but if the pipe has a lot of bends in it the way it is ran (especially 90 degree bends) or if it at any point is running downward he is probably telling you the truth.

Thats about all I can help you with. If nobody else chimes in just use your best judgement.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4327

He is probably pointing out "code" stuff. Like the straps. Maybe you can do some of that stuff yourself? I think you will be ok, as long as everything is safe. Unless you have some type of inspection coming up.

I had to replace a water heater a month ago, and my old one wasn't up to code. But for the guy to install the new one, he needed to put all the code stuff on it. Things like secondary drain pan, earthquake straps, sentiment catch, etc. My house is only 10 years old, and it was out of code.

ddream1

THX GUYS, i can see his point on the one vent but the other it really seems ok. going to bring in another guy get my questions answered and the codes such and go from there.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

If it works leave it the fuk alone

Like a car, put music on load so you do not hear anything that could be wrong

I can give you a fukkin quote guy

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

If it was me i would would call that guy and tell him that i appreciate it but I'm having someone else do the work. Solely for the fact that he tried to 'give me' 30-days to fix it, 'or else'. Who is he to mandate a time frame for me to have the work done. I'll fix it when/if i damn well please.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

sounds like hes trying to bitch you around. no way would i fix that

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

When he threatened to turn off your furnace you should have thrown him out of your house.