BrentCrude
    BrentCrude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Obama's sputnik moment phrase one for the ages laughable.He gets a pass!

They said Reagan was teflon,well,Obama must be silicon which is alot slicker because he would be called on the stupidist all time phrase he used in a state of the union speech.A sputnik moment!!!!!Funny stuff.You would have thought there would be checks and balances with speech writers where someone with half a brain would proof read and edit the final copy.Obama is given far,far,far too much credit for being a smooth silver tongued speech maker.If Bush would have said sputnik moment it would be the biggest blunder buzzword catch phrase of his career.There already would be t-shirts and bumper stickers ridiculing Bush for saying that rolling off the presses.Maybe registering www.sputnikmoment.com would be worth the $2 registration fee just the same though.

Good name for a rock band,race horse etc.
    Last edited by BrentCrude; 01-26-11 at 06:32 AM.

freelee
    Update your status
    freelee's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 478

agreed they're both idiots

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Most people that do nothing but bash on the president(whoever it may be), don't have enough stake in the country for the politics to even matter. Its all about the policies, who cares about one speech. If you guys knew how the speeches were written and structured, you would expect them to sound a bit lofty and grandiose. Obama is not an idiot. Not saying he is the greatest president ever. But idiot? C'mon now.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Yes, the idiot cuts NASA's budget a year ago, and then makes a 50 year old reference to a Soviet Satelite so relatively obscure that probably 80% of Americans don't even know what he's talking about.

Why did he make it again? Oh, he's pullling a JFK trying to inspire all "deh keeds" to study hard so we can go to Mars, right??
    Last edited by Sunde91; 01-26-11 at 01:34 PM.

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post
    Yes, the idiot cuts NASA's budget a year ago, and then makes a 50 year old reference to a Soviet Satelite so relatively obscure that probably 20% of Americans don't even know what he's talking about.

Why did he make it again? Oh, he's pullling a JFK, right??
    What if the budget needed to be cut? We are running out of things to do in space so cutting back seems like a sensible thing to do. And as far as only 20% of Americans understanding what he is talking about, What if that was the 20% he was targeting with that portion of the speech?

Obama is not even writing his own speech...Calling him an idiot for something that he read is a little ignorant.
    Last edited by NrmlCurvSurfr; 01-26-11 at 01:35 PM.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Yes, the idiot cuts NASA's budget a year ago, and then makes a 50 year old reference to a Soviet Satelite so relatively obscure that probably 80% of Americans don't even know what he's talking about.

Why did he make it again? Oh, he's pullling a JFK trying to inspire all "deh keeds" to study hard so we can go to Mars, right??
    So all moments that relate to other countries leaving us behind has to be about NASA.. it's ok you'll get a white president again...

jagermeister1
    jagermeister1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

You're an idiot if you think Sputnik is an obscure reference.

It was a good speech, and if you didn't get it, or you think the word "Sputnik" sounds funny and makes you giggle, go suck a diick.

Because you are a retard.

Handjuice
    Handjuice's Avatar Become A Pro!

People are seriously grasping at straws trying to come up with reasons to shit on Obamas speech.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

People who don't understand the significance of Sputnik moment reference usually laugh. This is why Obama laughs at you when you say you are going to defeat him in next elections with the ignorant puppett you are going to select to challenge him.

Sunde91

Relatively obscure, you nitwit. I guarantee you if you ask 100 random people on the street 75%+ would not know what Sputnik is. This speaks to both the ignorance of Americans and how outdated the event was.

Are these apologists serious? "It was a good speech" "Err, focus on educaton. Get dos keeds in a Science Fair. 'Merican Dream. Err, military fight for our freedommmmss". We hear this shit every year.

Rationalizing the use of a 50 year old Soviet Satellite as a metaphor for "America's wake-up call and launch into the future", or w/e the fuk, is a joke and should ridiculed.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO

Alright sundae91. This is our Paris Hilton moment.. Start doing sex tapes to become a celebrity... Dont let Paris leave you behind!!!

Hotdiggity11
    Hotdiggity11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

Seeing how Obama explained what Sputnik was in his speech along with references to NASA and our flight to the moon, it was a well-placed analogy. Strange how conservatives are whining about an event that happened 60 years ago when they have Tea Parties that references an event that happened over 230 years ago.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Not many people know about Sputnik because very few were alive when it happened 53 years ago. But Sputnik was responisble for winning the Cold War for the US after the money that was diverted to advancement of math and sciences and leading into producing some of the top secret weapons of the military like the inter-continental ballistic missile and the Stealth technology. Up to the point of Sputnik's launch the general public in the US thought the Soviets were not advanced enough to develop something that flies into space and they got a rude awakening.

mr.ed
    mr.ed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4218

I have no problem with the reference, but it seemed to me he pronounced it incorrectly as if that was the first time he had ever heard of it. Sounded like he said Spoot-nik rather than sputnik (long a). Then again, it could be me that's pronouncing it wrong.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8480

one of the worst days in American history - let's never forget.

jagermeister1

Sorry but Sputnik was mentioned in every high school world history class that covered the 20th century. If you missed it, you're a retard, and more than 75% of people know what it is.

Read a book you fukktard.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 4 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: tealish, pavyracer, Hotdiggity11, and chachi

tealish
    tealish's Avatar Become A Pro!

Even in Canada, we learned this.

Sunde91

Can you even read at a 5th grade level? Where did I say it was obscure to ME? I said relatively obscure, to the general population.

You think Americans will know something just because it was taught in a history class? You grossly overestimate the intelligence of Americans. Sad.

jagermeister1

Can you even read at a 5th grade level? Where did I say it was obscure to ME? I said relatively obscure, to the general population.

You think Americans will know something just because it was taught in a history class? You grossly overestimate the intelligence of Americans. Sad.
    Obscure to you? That doesn't make any sense. It's not obscure, period. Everybody's heard of Sputnik.

It has nothing to do with intelligence anyway, you idiot. There is a difference between "intelligence" and "knowledge."

Sputnik is general knowledge. If it makes you feel smarter to believe that you know something most people don't, that is sad. Especially when it's something as well-known as sputnik And it has nothing to do with Americans and our "overestimated intelligence," regardless of how hard you try to push that idea on us.

Slim
    Slim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 354

Everyone is so quick to defend obama. He did a good job brainwashing everyone.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post

one of the worst days in American history - let's never forget.
    you need to go 8 years before this....

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

One of the worst days in world history, lets never forget and remember that ignorance is strength ppl

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post

One of the worst days in world history, lets never forget and remember that ignorance is strength ppl
    Does Bush actually know how to read from a teleprompter?

Hotdiggity11

Sputnik is only obscure to people who don't know history.

Hotdiggity11

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Does Bush actually know how to read from a teleprompter?

Well, he had 1 on each side of him so I guess he does. His off-the-cuff remarks were the best though.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8480

you guys are loco

THE HITMAN
    THE HITMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16230

Now it would have been really funny if he had taken his shoe off and banged it on the podium !

THE HITMAN
    THE HITMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16230

You may need to be as old as the sputnik to get the above...........so, juniors need not apply, unless you are a history major.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Relatively obscure, you nitwit. I guarantee you if you ask 100 random people on the street 75%+ would not know what Sputnik is. This speaks to both the ignorance of Americans and how outdated the event was.

Are these apologists serious? "It was a good speech" "Err, focus on educaton. Get dos keeds in a Science Fair. 'Merican Dream. Err, military fight for our freedommmmss". We hear this shit every year.

Rationalizing the use of a 50 year old Soviet Satellite as a metaphor for "America's wake-up call and launch into the future", or w/e the fuk, is a joke and should ridiculed.
    Do you not see the irony in your own statements? You're calling Americans ignorant. Meanwhile, you criticize Obama for using a "relatively obscure" reference that calls for an investment in education and science. If you really believe most Americans don't understand the reference, then that only provides ammunition for Obama's policy proposal. Or are you just a political pawn?

Sunde91

Quote Originally Posted by jagermeister1 View Post
    Obscure to you? That doesn't make any sense. It's not obscure, period. Everybody's heard of Sputnik.

It has nothing to do with intelligence anyway, you idiot. There is a difference between "intelligence" and "knowledge."

Sputnik is general knowledge. If it makes you feel smarter to believe that you know something most people don't, that is sad. Especially when it's something as well-known as sputnik And it has nothing to do with Americans and our "overestimated intelligence," regardless of how hard you try to push that idea on us.
    Umm, you acted like I didn't know what Sputnik was when I said it was relatively obscure. I know what it is. My point is I would bet the majority of Americans do not know what Sputnik is, thus making it an obscure, stupid reference to try and connect to today's Americans.

Right now, it's a pissing contest, because there's no way to prove how many Americans actually know what it is. But there is little denying America is one of of the dumbest countries in the developed world. This is confirmed by test scores, public polls about general facts, etc.

You need help defining the words below. Next time it would help to know what they mean before you call someone an idiot for not using them properly.

Obscure
    7. far from public notice, worldly affairs, or important activities; remote; retired: an obscure little town.

Intelligence
    4. knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/intelligence

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

The reference made sense. Of course NASA's budget was cut - the money is being shared with private industry (something every "small government" person has been screaming for)

NASA is a monster cost to the taxpayers. You cannot justify their budget entirely as national defense. Either you want cuts in spending, or you don't.

jagermeister1

Umm, you acted like I didn't know what Sputnik was when I said it was relatively obscure. I know what it is. My point is I would bet the majority of Americans do not know what Sputnik is, thus making it an obscure, stupid reference to try and connect to today's Americans.

Right now, it's a pissing contest, because there's no way to prove how many Americans actually know what it is. But there is little denying America is one of of the dumbest countries in the developed world. This is confirmed by test scores, public polls about general facts, etc.

You need help defining the words below. Next time it would help to know what they mean before you call someone an idiot for not using them properly.

Obscure
    7. far from public notice, worldly affairs, or important activities; remote; retired: an obscure little town.

Intelligence
    4. knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/intelligence
    You picked the definitions 7th and 4th on the list, you dope.

You're wrong again. That context of that definition for intelligence is something altogether different, i.e. military intelligence.

And you're right, we can't prove that most people know Sputnik, so since we can't prove it, you can continue onward believing you are correct.

Feel better?

HilltopTony
    HilltopTony's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Sputnik......Heh Heh....He said Sputnik.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Right now, it's a pissing contest, because there's no way to prove how many Americans actually know what it is.

It was your original point, you fukk. You can't bring up a point, have it countered, and then state "well, no point talking about it since we can't prove it."

Man, you are a tool.

12 Last