bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Why is home court such a huge advantage in NBA?

You've got teams like the Wizards that cant beat a middle school girls team on the road 0 out of 20 road games but somehow have a 12-9 record at home. Looking at almost all teams this is the standard, just 5x better at home than on the road.

Is the fans cheering that important (hard to even believe they cheer for the Wizards) or is the officiating that rigged in the NBA where the home team just gets all the calls?
    Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 01-22-11 at 05:16 PM.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

I never really understood how it works
    but for some reason it just does

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

because it's easier to line up the wh0res for before and after games

they know where to get the best weed at home too

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

It's because professional sports like the nba is all about keeping the ignorant biased fans entertained with close games. Who would show up to a wiz vs heat game as a wizard fan @ dc if they lose by 23 every game? The nba is fuking rigged people wake up. It's not a real sport its show business or the wwe.

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post
    It's because professional sports like the nba is all about keeping the ignorant biased fans entertained with close games. Who would show up to a wiz vs heat game as a wizard fan @ dc if they lose by 23 every game? The nba is fuking rigged people wake up. It's not a real sport its show business or the wwe.

Hexum
    Hexum's Avatar Become A Pro!

You must have not played sports...

Metalhead
    Metalhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243

It's because the NBA is full of egomaniacs who get nervous when people are cheering for someone else. Easily pumped up and easily deflated personalities.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

The actual HCA varies dramatically from team to team. Pressure from management to perform well at home thus ensuring future season ticket sales is definitely a factor for the teams that are struggling overall (as stated above), but so is the overall team dynamic (young or veteran), the atmosphere created by the home fans, athletes being able to sleep at home instead of a hotel, and elevation (in the case of Utah & Denver).

JBT
    Square as a triangle
    JBT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31048

There's also the travel factor, sleeping in hotels, not being used to the court (not as much of a small deal as one would think) and the already mentioned fans cheering which gives you wings...

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

bc it's ur home court...not hard.

familiarity, crowd noise, adrenaline, refs...so on and so forth

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

Quote Originally Posted by Hexum View Post
    You must have not played sports...
    this

home court advantage is huge in any sport in any part of the world and at any level

it mostly has to do with intangibles like the psychological lift of the crowd, the intimidation the opponent feels from the same crowd, also the comfort and familiarity a player has with the court he plays in nearly every day vs the opponent that may play there once or twice a year

there are probably many many other reasons

bettilimbroke999

I realize that a team like the Lakers where the atmosphere is electrified would be stronger at home but a team like the Wizards with a great home record like 12-9 but unable to win 1 out of 20 on the road, I mean are the Washington fans that ******* incredible, do they offer free blowjobs after every made basket or something. Why would a Washington fan cheer anyway every win just gives them worse draft position, hell Id be cheering for the other team if I was unfortunate enough to be a Wizards fan

mike1234
    ??
    mike1234's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17305

Last issue of SI blames the refs

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by mike1234 View Post
    Last issue of SI blames the refs
    This

All the idiots on here who were 3rd stringers when they were in high school think they have some inside information and that some of the light cheering that goes on at a Wizards game is enough to turn an 0-20 road team into 12-9 home team but I think its gotta be more than that, the refs are clearly biased towards the home team in the NBA

Pew Pew
    Banned
    Pew Pew's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah I know it's baffling to me too. Like just today the celtics lost to the nets...

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

yeah, I read the SI article which says that home field/court is mostly due to refs.

bettilimbroke999

They lost to the Wizards, somehow 0-20 on the road against the Timberwolves turns into 13-9 at home vs the Celtics, must be those great Wizard fans

drfunkmaster
    printing it
    drfunkmaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1065

Anthonyk99
    Anthonyk99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

foul shot difference thunder stix and i guees just sleeping in your own bed the day and night before helps out

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Home court (or field) advantage is statistically less a factor in the NBA than it is in most major sports. It is biggest is soccer and averages 0.6 goals per game in the major European leagues.

The intimidation factor of the crowd on opponents and officials is the biggest issue as can be seen from teams which share a stadium (like AC Milan and Inter Milan), the "home" team still outperforms the "away" team by nearly 0.6 goals in these games.

R6MC
    R6MC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24711

such a tough question

fury
    fury's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's the officiating advantage that home teams get.

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

I must say that if you play basketball you'll now it, it just so different when I play basketball on other court. The familiarity isnt there compare to playing the court that you're used to. If you talk about home court i guess rockets should have won the game against the magic right? I think that celtics game just got to show you the old legs of the celts playing great 1st half and eventually fell apart on the 2nd.

Also, celts is the worst b2b team in the nba imo.

Whippit
    getting to know ms. douglas
    Whippit's Avatar Become A Pro!

boils down to motivation

players gotta win home games or they won't sell tickets & fans will call them pussies in the street

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

easier to shoot at home than in a foreign building is a big part of it

bonduforlife
    Bondu means Douche Bag :)
    bonduforlife's Avatar Become A Pro!

1) the road team is usually tired of traveling/home team is usually more well rested
    2) the road team does not know the court as well as the home team
    3) the home team gets a lot more practice for the game (no travel)
    4) players want to perform better in front of fans, i remember my Bball games where i would work extra hard because everybody knew me at our school court
    5) fans motivate players to play harder in crunch-time

Wojo
    Wojo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9513

Home team advantage? Sure, straight up.

But, against the spread this year, home teams are 296-321 ATS.

In my mind, the advantage goes to the road team.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

It's not just NBA.

cleaveland
    cleaveland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

In the big NCAA game tomorrow we'll have a team with the same problem in Wisconsin. Fixing games is only one part of it but I must ask... Can you handle the truth?

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=24271
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Glitch

VTranX
    VTranX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 314

makes you play little harder. if you lose the fans will be all up in your grill.

beanbag
    cracker ass fantastic
    beanbag's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

make the fans happy

and

during the time outs they try and distract the opposing team

70kgman
    70kgman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1895

It is surprising to me that the home/away records in the NHL aren't nearly as drastic as they are in the NBA. In the NHL, the home team gets a legitimate home ice advantage, they get to make last change and see who the other team puts out there before they choose their line, as well as being able to choose if they shoot first or last in the shootout.

Chucker
    Chucker's Avatar Become A Pro!

NHL SU Away record

346-293-50-33
    47.92%

NBA SU Away record

277-481
    36.54%

crazy how big a diff that is!

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
    Home team advantage? Sure, straight up.

But, against the spread this year, home teams are 296-321 ATS.

In my mind, the advantage goes to the road team.
    Have you seen the lines home versus road, I mean its fukin disgusting how different they are. I didnt say I was some handicapping genius who had found a secret, I just asked why ppl think a team that cant win 1 out of 20 against Minnesota on the road has more home wins that the Celtics.

When one of the best teams in the league goes to play a team they just beat mercillesly by 29 in Boston then not even come close to covering the 6 1/2 spread despite being up 15 at end of the 1st but also loses the game it kinda makes one wonder.

But yea if Memphis goes to LA and the line is 8 and then they come to Memphis and its 1 1/2, if memphis just doesnt get run off the court in LA they cover while in Memphis they pretty much have to win the game or lose by 1

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

I played sports my whole fuking life. You could make an argument for teams/players being nervous on road game when they are rookies but come the fuk on are you kidding me? Most of these athletes aren't nervous because of the crowd booing them thats fuking bullshit anyone who thinks this is just another ignorant observer of the sport. The refs play a huge part in making it seem like these games are close and its also the fuking players. Lebron knows that its good for business to fuking play half ass on the road and keep it close so the crowd gets a good experience/entertainment. It didn't matter where I played it was always the same performance this is compete whoreshit reasoning. Professional sports is all an illusion to take money from the mentally weak and naive.

Cut the shit people when it comes down to it these players know that one team will win in the end and the most important part of the game for them is that the fans pay for tickets so their league stays in business and they get their million dollar paychecks. Grow the fuk up and realize its all a trick for cash.

12 Last