cleaveland
    cleaveland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

I think the Pats threw the game v. Jets

First of all, I'm very serious about this and I'll never bet on an NFL playoff game again. There's several things you could point to the main reason I came to this conclusion is this:

The Pats drove 85 yards in 3:51 to score near the end of the third. They were in a hurry-up offense at that time, as you would expect.

The Pats get the ball back with 13:00 minutes left and they proceed to RUN THE CLOCK OUT. They did all short passes and running plays and I realized how wrong it all was when one of the announcers pointed out how slowly they were moving, they were down 10 points with less than six minutes and they were moving in slow motion, imho. When they reached the 31 yard line, Brady magically got sacked on 3rd down putting them out of field goal range! Then they went for it on fourth down... the official description of the play they did on 4th and 13... "incomplete short left to D.Branch"!!!! That's right, a short pass when they had to have about 14 yards. They ate up 7:45 of game time, more than half the entire fourth quarter and got nothing for it but the fact is that if you planned to run the clock out and score nothing while appearing to be trying you could not have done a better job.

Unbelievable, they went from a perfect hurry-up offense near the end of the third to a perfect run the clock out without scoring offense in the fourth... If you tell me it was incompetence or stupidity I won't believe you, this game scared me away from the NFL playoffs forever.
    Last edited by cleaveland; 01-16-11 at 11:58 PM.

Covy
    Covy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1430

I highly doubt this was the case due to the trash talking. I think the Patriots had every intention of winning the game. Belichick has made some bad coaching mistakes in the past, believe it or not. The 4th and 2 vs the Colts a year or two back where they went for it instead of punting it is one that I remember.

I think this was just poor clock management on the Pats part.

Merella
    Merella's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18827

these nfl coaches need to play more madden

drew17
    drew17's Avatar Become A Pro!

yea. I was wondering what the coaches were thinking running the ball so often.

illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

it's "threw"

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

I honestly didn't even think about it like that but now that you mention it yes they didn't use good strategy at all in the 4th quarter. I had Jets +10 so it didn't really effect me. I watched the entire game and I have to admit that I never seen the Pats come so flat in a playoff game. Didn't seem right at all. Appears as though the Jets wanted it more. Regardless you don't have to convince me that the NFL is suspect. This year in particular was worse than last few. How good is it for the books when most teams are close to even with their win/loss rate.

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

It is sports you fool, shit happens. You win and you lose.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

You're right. No way a 10 point dog wins such a crucial game with obviously inferior talent.

Signed

Drew Brees

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Absolutely, favorites always win.

rdo37
    rdo37's Avatar Become A Pro!

You may be trolling.... But,

What incentive/motivation would an NFL team/coach have for throwing a game?

Hootie Johnson
    Hootie Johnson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8105

Don't think they threw it, but Brady & Co. just didn't look right out there.

hockeyhy
    [color=rgb(0, 255, 255)][Too Long][/color]
    hockeyhy's Avatar Become A Pro!

This was the Jets game to win, Jets chance for destiny and fame.

mdemps9190
    mdemps9190's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7237

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyhy View Post
    This was the Jets game to win, Jets chance for destiny and fame.
    No destiny or fame since they won't win the superbowl. Either steelers beat them next week, or packers SMOKE them in the super bowl.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Why would they let this game go for?

dollarbill
    dollarbill's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 967

Who is the ESPN Radio announcer? He does the play by play and sounds like he is chewing on marbles......

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

First of all, your a real dumb assholee...2nd, I hope Pittsburgh "throws" the game also

You stupid fuckk

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

I was more than a little surprised that the Pats were using every second of the play clock while down 2 scores with 6 minutes left in the game. Going for it on 4th and 13 instead of kicking the 52 yarder was also kind of weird.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    Going for it on 4th and 13 instead of kicking the 52 yarder was also kind of weird.
    I was also surprised they used so much of the play clock during that drive, but they had to go for it on 4th and long. The 52 yard fg was with a slight wind in the face. Also Foxboro is one of the tougher places to kick in the NFL.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4315

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    I was more than a little surprised that the Pats were using every second of the play clock while down 2 scores with 6 minutes left in the game.
    They have no real deep threat, and they showed they have a hard time when down in a game. Their short passes here and there is just like running the ball, so it used the clock. Nothing to really eat up chunks of yardage.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Pats couldn't pass block, it left them very few options.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

i would think that a sports bettor would prefer that the outcome is predetermined, i know i do, that way i dont need to cap the game, i dont need to study, i dont need to use statistical formulas or complex computer software

all i need to do is figure out which side WILL win, and that is definately easier than trying to predict random variables that could affect a sports event that hasnt taken place yet

KingKolzig
    KingKolzig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Jets got in their heads by cheating (using the injury rule to slow down a quick snapping opponent). jets did it so much the pats got frustrated. they should have gotten mad instead and had they won, rubbed it in so bad that the jets cheat and still lose

VTranX
    VTranX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 314

im still pissed at the 4th quarter clock management. i dont mind them running the ball in that situation but they need more sense of urgency. every snap was with the clock winding down i mean WTF pats! i hate the jets and i hate the steelers even more...i hope GB wins this super bowl.

VTranX
    VTranX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 314

Quote Originally Posted by KingKolzig View Post
    Jets got in their heads by cheating (using the injury rule to slow down a quick snapping opponent). jets did it so much the pats got frustrated. they should have gotten mad instead and had they won, rubbed it in so bad that the jets cheat and still lose
    atleast it stopped the clock...i wouldnt realy mind it much.

KingKolzig
    KingKolzig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Quote Originally Posted by VTranX View Post
    atleast it stopped the clock...i wouldnt realy mind it much.
    they did it early and in key situations. like the pats 2nd drive, on the goalline. pats ready to snap but a jet wont get up. pats only get 3 pts out of it. u could see them pouting, jets did it so much it crossed the line. jets are scum and pitt is going to destroy them.

OmgUrMom
    OmgUrMom's Avatar Become A Pro!

if they had score a td on that long drive,then got a 3 an outm they would of still had plenty of time to score another td. so not really that weird although i was a bit surprised they were moving so slow.

blingish
    blingish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2441

I bet on the Pats, But I don't think they threw the game. I think the Jets were the better team on Sunday. That being said I did have quite a few moments in the fourth where I was screaming "What the **** are Ya'll doing!?!?" at the TV! Terrible play calling and a terrible offensive mindset down 2 scores in the 4th.

whadeeb
    whadeeb's Avatar Become A Pro!

The game killed my parlay

SR
    SR's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 145

Branch got shut down and the other recievers are 2nd tier.

CaptJames05
    CaptJames05's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 691

yea.... someone wanted to get rich here lol... but who knows

Cobra07751
    Cobra07751's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    You're right. No way a 10 point dog wins such a crucial game with obviously inferior talent. Signed Drew Brees
    They should have never been 10 point dogs. The Seattle Bears game should have been a 10 point dog, not the Jets. Jets moneylines sure was nice.

plzkthx
    plzkthx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

maybe short passes was the only option since revis/crom shut down the deep threats.

XFactor09
    XFactor09's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

What a crybaby. You shouldn't have bet on the Pats, deal with it. All of us who took the Jets money laughed at those idiotic playcalls in the 4th quarter and laughed all the way to the bank. Grow up and blame your problems on yourself, after that take some spelling courses.

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

If you were going to say the Pats threw this game, don't forget to mention the botched fake punt before the first half and then they should have recovered the two on-side kicks at the end but kept kicking it to the Jets players.

brxbmbers42
    brxbmbers42's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just heard on the radio patrick chung had the green light from belicheat all year to run that fake punt any time he wanted. His call. Who knows if that's true. That's the story being told in boston.

123 Last