warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

I moved there with 1000 and got a job my 4th day there, its been a wild ride

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by KingKolzig View Post
    doesnt vegas have -120 odds on almost everything? making it impossible to win longterm
    no

wtf are u claiming

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
    If this is true then you are making a huge mistake. People all over the country are losing their jobs and have no pension waiting for them if they can make it to retirement. You are walking away from a recession proof career with a pension waiting for you at the end. You're doing this to chase some system in Vegas where you will be betting into worse lines then online. Why not stay home, work your job and bet online. The expenses of living in Vegas without a career (security at clubs make next to nothing by the way) will eat up any bankroll you have put aside. There is a lot of stress betting for a living rather then a hobby. If you were a 21 year old kid with no responsibilites I would say go for it and take your shot. You are married with a great job. Pretty selfish of you to do this in my opinion.

Agreed.

Maybe his wife was watching the Billy Walters part of 60 minutes last night, and saw him riding in his jet and him owning 7 houses, and she thinks her husband LVbound will be rolling like that.

LVBOUND
    Living the DREAM!!
    LVBOUND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 119

Oh if it makes you guys feel better I was told if i come back within 6 months I can get my job back without even a drug test and no application.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by LVBOUND View Post
    Oh if it makes you guys feel better I was told if i come back within 6 months I can get my job back without even a drug test and no application.
    Kinda tough to come back in the middle of football season from Vegas. That's when I predict you would make your first million!

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Your so correct here. My question to everyone is this. What is worse. The fear of failing and regretting i quit my job. Or The fear of not quitting and watching my system work and loosing out on 85k in sux months? These are my only two fears and they are battling each other inside my brain all day every day.
    Putting forward such a proposition to a bunch of degen gamblers is like asking a poet to solve the equation of pie squared, there just not gonna get it ...GL chasing ur dreams LV, remember to be smart, middle where u can and above all, enjoy what your doing....

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Very sad. I am not yet jaded enough to be unsympathetic however, no matter how ignorant the decision is, so I will try to give you some advice even though you will not pay heed to it.

Ask yourself, How this will effect your prospects going forward and more importantly your family. There is no reason to move to Las Vegas if you have any sort of capacity to gamble on sports profitably. If you value the delusion of moving to Vegas to become profitable, when a perfectly viable alternative exists, where you can stay at home with your family and keep your job, you are beyond help. In fact you should abandon Vegas all together and go to Gamblers Anonymous.

And some fluffy self help book is not going to help you when the grit of reality hits you. Within 1-2 years discounting a positive variance run I predict your bankroll/you will be utterly devastated without some outside source of income. This is not even factoring the chasing/cognitive dissidence induced tilt if you hit a losing run beyond what your expected negative earn rate is already.

At a minimum you should have read/studied/had sex with these by now:

A) Sharp Sports Betting
    B) Weighing the Odds in Sports Betting
    C) Calculated Risks
    D) Fixed odds sports betting
    E) 2+2 stickied thread in SB subforum
    F) All Ganchrow posts here

Have you studied any of those? Do you have a firm grasp of the mathematics behind gambling? If you hadn't you could possibly eek by a miserly living bonus whoring/arbing but your bankroll isn't even large enough for that.

And do not jump to the conclusion that I am a dream crusher or receive some sort of schadenfreudian pleasure from your pending failure because I do not. In fact the whole point of this exercise is to prevent it. If you truly value your dream to become professional, stay at home, keep your job and learn. Do these things and give yourself a fighting chance. Delusion is tantalizing but it is not reality.
    Last edited by mrmarket; 01-17-11 at 03:16 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 6 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: CanuckG, jjgold, OmgUrMom, PuckOff, LLXC, and hubie69

LVBOUND
    Living the DREAM!!

I got to say i agree with every one of you who thinks this is a bad idea. I wish I could explain better what I feel. But I can't.

I have always succeeded at every endeavour i set out on. Maybe I am talking on something to difficult. I don't know.

If i said i was divorced and out of a job you might say go for it. I think it is the complete opposite. I think being married for ten years. Working a stressful job for nine years. These are the qualities that will make me succeed.

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!
    borednaz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah it does seem pretty selfish. Maybe you should take the time to learn poker as a good way to make a small income.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

If you are moving to VEGAS to just wager on baseball, even if you had a bankroll that was 5x what it is...........there is no reason to move.

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love this place, you start a thread and instantly get shit on for it. It's this guys life. Why anyone would ever take advice from anyone on this forum is beyond my comprehension.

GL LV, you will need it. Keep that head on straight and kudos for following what you think is right. Half the people here wouldn't attempt to follow the little dreams they have left. You got balls man.

LVBOUND
    Living the DREAM!!

Fish the goal is to play online wants I am stable. I want to find the right place to play first. I was told playing in Vegas for a while wouldn't hurt

anthonydiamondLC
    anthonydiamondLC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1741

I was in Vegas a couple years ago for about a 3 month stint from july-october...was the craziest time ive ever had. Best of luck.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

I got to say i agree with every one of you who thinks this is a bad idea. I wish I could explain better what I feel. But I can't.

I have always succeeded at every endeavour i set out on. Maybe I am talking on something to difficult. I don't know.

If i said i was divorced and out of a job you might say go for it. I think it is the complete opposite. I think being married for ten years. Working a stressful job for nine years. These are the qualities that will make me succeed.

Dude..if you've got a dream then go for it! If you're looking for approval from people in this forum, that means your taking advice from a percentage of people who live in their parents basement, lie in the fetal position sucking their thumbs, and figure out ways to scam points. Try it, and if it doesn't work...you tried

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

I made this same decision years ago and regret it... but honestly, i'd probably regret it more if i stayed in my normal life and always wondered 'what if'

Gl

JACK MATZ
    JACK MATZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2213

Hold up!!
    How old are you and how long have you been a cop?

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

If you don't have kids (big one)... you've been married for 10 years... your wife is down with it... can get your job back within 6 months nqa if you fail miserably... and above all else, you're willing to accept the fact that you may lose everything good you currently have in life... Fuk it, give it a shot.

Suggestion... put a business plan together on paper before you go that details your exit strategy short term, midterm and longterm. Answer these questions before you go and it will provide you with piece of mind you won't have otherwise.

LVBOUND
    Living the DREAM!!

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    I made this same decision years ago and regret it... but honestly, i'd probably regret it more if i stayed in my normal life and always wondered 'what if'

Gl
    Wow. Rudy thats exactly how I feel.

brxbmbers42
    brxbmbers42's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    This is a disaster waiting to happen

Good Luck Chief

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninersnut View Post
    I love this place, you start a thread and instantly get shit on for it. It's this guys life. Why anyone would ever take advice from anyone on this forum is beyond my comprehension.

GL LV, you will need it. Keep that head on straight and kudos for following what you think is right. Half the people here wouldn't attempt to follow the little dreams they have left. You got balls man.
    If JJ gold posted here and said he was moving to New York to join Juilliard,train as a dancer and subsquently make it as a professional ballerina would you pat him on the back and wish him well? This is the equivalent of what LVbound is doing except he isn't even attending Juilliard.

And balls has nothing to do with it. It is about being a man and facing reality for what it is and not living in some fantasy land. Everyone has dreams and they should pursue them to the best of their ability but not at the expense of family, friends, happiness and safety. Nobody is even suggesting he abandon his dream but telling him to get off a wanton path of self destruction so that he may have a fighting chance of actually achieving something he sets out to do.

tatommack
    cowboys make the playoffs
    tatommack's Avatar Become A Pro!

i wish i had the balls to do this. watching 60 mins last night only made it worse for me. wish i could look at my past bets and see what % im at

Fishhead

I made the move at 25 years of age(25 years ago) and so glad I did................loved every minute of my 18 or so years in Vegas, made decent money and made better friends.

Moving back in a few months and can't wait.

I LOVE VEGAS!

PocketChange
    Cheers.
    PocketChange's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good luck man. As much as I enjoy vegas, I simply couldn't be a part of it each and every day.

peacebyinches
    pull the trigger
    peacebyinches's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7802

Best of luck dude, sometimes you just have to pull the trigger, roll the dice and live your one life the way you dreamed. Money comes and goes, but the time we have to pursue true happiness in this lifetime only seems to go...

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Fish the goal is to play online wants I am stable. I want to find the right place to play first. I was told playing in Vegas for a while wouldn't hurt

So you're moving to Vegas, because you want to bet online?

LVBOUND
    Living the DREAM!!

Gates I can't explain it on here I got almost banned before for talking like that. Just read between the lines.

southie
    southie's Avatar Become A Pro!

good luck man.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Best of luck in Vegas. Most of all just live in the moment and have fun. Take a camera and post some pics on here for us less fortunate.

Say hi to Brock for us

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Vegas is a great place to live even if you burned out on playing sports or cards hardcore like me. I hate leaving town to see family. It's the greatest place in the world. So easy/convenient and you can't beat the weather IMO. If I could go back 5 years ago and re-evaluate moving out here, I would do it again, regardless of what happened. I wish I still had the passion I did, but grinding and grinding and grinding is not something I can do for long periods of time (plus I never gave myself time off, that's very important).

It goes without saying, that I wish you the best. It's good you have the ability to move back and reclaim your old job if you want. That's nice to fall back on.

LVBOUND
    Living the DREAM!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarket View Post
    Very sad. I am not yet jaded enough to be unsympathetic however, no matter how ignorant the decision is, so I will try to give you some advice even though you will not pay heed to it.

Ask yourself, How this will effect your prospects going forward and more importantly your family. There is no reason to move to Las Vegas if you have any sort of capacity to gamble on sports profitably. If you value the delusion of moving to Vegas to become profitable, when a perfectly viable alternative exists, where you can stay at home with your family and keep your job, you are beyond help. In fact you should abandon Vegas all together and go to Gamblers Anonymous.

And some fluffy self help book is not going to help you when the grit of reality hits you. Within 1-2 years discounting a positive variance run I predict your bankroll/you will be utterly devastated without some outside source of income. This is not even factoring the chasing/cognitive dissidence induced tilt if you hit a losing run beyond what your expected negative earn rate is already.

At a minimum you should have read/studied/had sex with these by now:

A) Sharp Sports Betting
    B) Weighing the Odds in Sports Betting
    C) Calculated Risks
    D) Fixed odds sports betting
    E) 2+2 stickied thread in SB subforum
    F) All Ganchrow posts here

Have you studied any of those? Do you have a firm grasp of the mathematics behind gambling? If you hadn't you could possibly eek by a miserly living bonus whoring/arbing but your bankroll isn't even large enough for that.

And do not jump to the conclusion that I am a dream crusher or receive some sort of schadenfreudian pleasure from your pending failure because I do not. In fact the whole point of this exercise is to prevent it. If you truly value your dream to become professional, stay at home, keep your job and learn. Do these things and give yourself a fighting chance. Delusion is tantalizing but it is not reality.
    Very good post except for that line. I do not gamble like that. I would BET (pun LOL) that everyone that has replied to this thread has gambled in the time, since i placed my last wager. I know when I feel I have an edge. I study the numbers the math. I know when I do not. I do not bet for the rush, I do not bet because the game is on tv. I do not bet to have action. I bet purely 100% to make money. I will bet against my team. I can go 6 months without a bet and it not even bother me.

I would say as an addiction that poker is stronger than sports betting. I look at sports betting as a challenge and I will conquer it.

Can you please direct me to the 2+2 thread you spoke of I can not seem to locate it.

Thanks,
    Matt

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Absolutely no reason at all to move to vegas to pursue profession as a gambler.

What makes you think that vegas is where you need to be if you are going to gamble for a living?

Many better betting options online with reduced juice and constant bonus offers which do not require you to leave your wife behind and have to burden yourself with paying for 2 residences and costs of flying to and from florida. The fact that you do not recognize that you do not have to move to vegas to pursue life as a gambler is very alarming to me and leads me to believe that you do not yet have the experience to accomplish this goal. Probably 95% of players who play professionally do not live anywhere near vegas.

Why can you not quit your job and make your living from florida????

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n View Post
    Vegas is a great place to live even if you burned out on playing sports or cards hardcore like me. I hate leaving town to see family. It's the greatest place in the world. So easy/convenient and you can't beat the weather IMO. If I could go back 5 years ago and re-evaluate moving out here, I would do it again, regardless of what happened. I wish I still had the passion I did, but grinding and grinding and grinding is not something I can do for long periods of time (plus I never gave myself time off, that's very important).
    Love the weather
    Love the food and drink
    Love the cost of living
    Love the action
    Love Mt Charleston
    Love Red Rock
    Love gambling

ONE OF THE VERY BEST PLACES TO LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES........AND THAT'S A FACT.

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1345

Good luck Matt! Most people never have the balls to take that chance and go for their dream! Good thing about having a police background, you could also work security in the casinos while you're perfecting your gambling chops.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Best of luck LV. Go to the Rio and see if the nightclub Crown is hiring. They've become the "black nightclub" with their weekend hip-hop nights. Maybe they'd hire you on as security there with your law enforcement background. My buddy is a casino manager there and he said they had about a dozen gang unit uniforms in over the weekend monitoring the club. The pay not be great, but it would give you some kind of balance to keep from a 24/7 gambling binge.

We don't have much at Wynn/Encore now for security kind of jobs, but feel free to message me if you have any questions.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    ONE OF THE VERY BEST PLACES TO LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES........AND THAT'S A FACT.

I think the words you're looking for is MY OPINION.

First 12345 ... Last