cleaveland
    cleaveland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

Bill Simmons' NFL Playoff Manifesto 4.0

I always read this article this time of year, I think it's brilliant, any thoughts on it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...immons/060106a

cleaveland
    cleaveland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

RULE NO. 4: When in doubt, check out the coaching matchups
    An easy rule of thumb: Before you make a selection, imagine you're watching the game and seeing one of those split-screen thingies with both coaches pacing the sidelines. Could you handle knowing that you backed the coach who looks like the overmatched doofus? For instance, six years ago, I took Miami over Buffalo simply because I didn't want to see a spilt-screen shot and know that I gambled on the doofus (Wade Phillips) over the guy who looked like a real coach (Jimmy Johnson). Sounds stupid? It worked. Buffalo doubled Miami's yardage and dominated the time of possession ... yet they still blew the game with four turnovers. Go figure.

Steelers have the cooler looking coach, big advantage?

thadchr
    thadchr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3577

Love Simmons, and love this article. I'm also glad you posted rule #4, because I think it's the most important.

I will say that over the years, he's added enough rules that there are often situation overlaps where both teams meet the bet on / don't bet on criteria, which makes it somewhat more a fun gimmick than a strict "system" at times, but it's still pretty damn helpful either way. Good post.

thadchr
    thadchr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3577

I don't think Rule 4 applies very much for the Steelers/Ravens gam though... both are pretty solid coaches.

Last week's Reid vs. McCarthy matchup on the other hand...

Davydave
    Davydave's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2008

Yeah, Simmons is always solid.

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

I love Simmons, he's hilarious. BUT, if you're actually taking gambling advioce from him it may be time to reevaluate things. Guy has been gambling on football forever and hasn't even learned teaser odds yet.

AMBlai01
    SBR Resident Drunk
    AMBlai01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2152

I know I am in the minority but Simmons really does very little for me...I stopped reading his stuff a couple years back.

sharper2
    sharper2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6817

ya he talks alot about gambling but i don't think id ever take his advice